PDA

View Full Version : I've done it now!

Kevin Harris
10-Dec-2006, 02:54
Greetings from Adelaide Australia,
I have been sitting on the hill now after purchasing a Horseman FA45 for the past three months keenly watching this forum for any snippet of information that I can learn. Several days ago I also purchased a Sinar P. Now if thats not jumping in boots and all!! Time will tell, Anyway, i just wanted to introduce myself and will as time goes by appreciate any help that is offered.
Great forum
Regards for now Kevin Harris:)

Walter Calahan
10-Dec-2006, 05:50
Congratulations and have fun.

Perhaps your fresh eyes to large format will being insights that long time users have overlooked, so you can help teach us!

Don't be afraid of asking questions. This community is a vast treasure of knowledge.

Ted Harris
10-Dec-2006, 08:05
Welcome Kevin, with a nice compact light package like the FA you should be toting your gear everywhere and showing us images soon :).

roteague
10-Dec-2006, 09:59
Hi Kevin, welcome from Hawaii. I was just in Adelaide about two months ago, wonderful city. My friend Steve, who is also from Adelaide, is a member of this forum as well and may stop in and say hello to you as well.

Ron Marshall
10-Dec-2006, 10:06
Welcome to the forum Kevin. You have some nice equipment there, the Pis really solid.

I am always curious what lens people start with, so what did you choose as a first lens?

Stan. L-B
10-Dec-2006, 10:18
Welcome Kevin from London and Dorset UK. Congratulations on your choice if LF gear. The Sinar is the 'bees-knees' for all LF formats to 10X8 as far as I am concerned. Others here will differ, but it is not the equipment that matters, but the enthusiasm to use the gear you have to get the results you aim for.

Capocheny
10-Dec-2006, 14:20
Hi Kevin,

Welcome... from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

I have good friends in South Adelaide and will have to get down to your neck of the woods for a visit one day soon... with camera in hand. :)

The Sinar P is a great camera but you won't want to be lugging it too, too far into the field!

Unless, that is, you have a good pack mule! :)

Cheers

Kevin Harris
11-Dec-2006, 02:56
Welcome to the forum Kevin. You have some nice equipment there, the Pis really solid.

I am always curious what lens people start with, so what did you choose as a first lens?

Hi Ron
The lense that came with Sinar is aTopcor 210 5.6 . I have not heard of this breed b4 so I have yet to try it. With my Horseman came a Nikkor w 150. I have since purchased a Rodenstock Sironar n 100, a Nikkor sw 65 f4. Looking very much forward to the xmas break to give it a go. Thanks for the interest.

Catch ya later Kev.

Capocheny
11-Dec-2006, 04:14
Hi Ron
The lense that came with Sinar is aTopcor 210 5.6 . I have not heard of this breed b4 so I have yet to try it. With my Horseman came a Nikkor w 150. I have since purchased a Rodenstock Sironar n 100, a Nikkor sw 65 f4. Looking very much forward to the xmas break to give it a go. Thanks for the interest.

Catch ya later Kev.

Kevin,

You may find that the Sironar 100N will not allow any movements on your 4x5. It has an image circle of 151 at f22 and, ideally, you need something that covers at least 153.7, or thereabouts.

When buying new lenses it's worthwhile to consult one of the many Lens Coverage Charts available. Here's one from this site:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html

Cheers