PDA

View Full Version : Filter size - 19" Red Dot Artar

Capocheny
10-Dec-2006, 00:26
Hello all,

Quick question... does anybody know the filter size for a 19" Red Dot Artar?

And, lens cap size?

And, what are you using for a lens shade?

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

Cheers

Amund BLix Aaeng
10-Dec-2006, 02:58
See this (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21629) thread.

Ernest Purdum
10-Dec-2006, 09:28
A puzzlement. Goerz listed the "Lens Outside Diameter" as 61mm, but the one I have measures almost 63mm and the "Made in Germany" lenscap I have for it is a 63mm and fits snugly. Front and rear are the same size.

I measure the inside of the filter threads (using a cheap plastic slide caliper which is the only tool my shaky old hands let get close to glass) I get right on 2 5/16" or 58.45mm. This would put the filter size at 59 or 60mm, but don't quote me.

Sorry I can't give a more definite answer. Apparently Goerz, like so many other makers, reserved the right to make changes in specification without notice.

Capocheny
10-Dec-2006, 14:32
Thanks Amund, Ernest...

I love the precision of these lenses! :)

So, it sounds like a machinist is the only way to go to get anything precisely made for these lenses.

Sounds like major buckeroos! :(

Cheers

Ernest Purdum
10-Dec-2006, 20:56
You might spend less by getting yourself a compendium lenshade that mounts to the camera instead of the lens. You might have to pay someone to make an adapter to fit your camera(s), but I think it would be a better solution to your need. The Calumet is a pretty good one and they show up on eBay. It has a slot for filters. It's at its best with long lenses.

Capocheny
11-Dec-2006, 00:48
You might spend less by getting yourself a compendium lenshade that mounts to the camera instead of the lens. You might have to pay someone to make an adapter to fit your camera(s), but I think it would be a better solution to your need. The Calumet is a pretty good one and they show up on eBay. It has a slot for filters. It's at its best with long lenses.

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for the suggestion... makes good sense to me.

I hadn't given much thought to a Calumet unit but I was thinking of the Lee unit, which also takes filters.

Thanks again. :)

Cheers

John Kasaian
11-Dec-2006, 08:36
It takes awhile to find the larger ones, but a series slip-on adapter is what I'd like to get for my 19" Artar. The larger sizes show up infrequently but they're out there (I have these on my 12" Dagor & 14" Artar) once you get one of these babies there seems to be no end to what you can hang out there up in front of your lens!

Cheers!

Steve Hamley
11-Dec-2006, 11:57
Capocheny,

I had S.K.Grimes make one for my 12" Gold Dot dagor and it also perfectly fits my 19" Red Dot Artar.

The adapter was about $125 IIRC, but I did get a "twofer".

If you have a screw-in adapter made to fit a standard filter (mine are 77mm), a regular generic rubber lenshood works fine if you don't want to use your hand, hat, darkslide, or Lee compendium.

Steve

Capocheny
11-Dec-2006, 21:51
Capocheny,

I had S.K.Grimes make one for my 12" Gold Dot dagor and it also perfectly fits my 19" Red Dot Artar.

The adapter was about $125 IIRC, but I did get a "twofer".

If you have a screw-in adapter made to fit a standard filter (mine are 77mm), a regular generic rubber lenshood works fine if you don't want to use your hand, hat, darkslide, or Lee compendium.

Steve

Thanks John, Steve...

I stopped off down at one of the camera stores this afternoon and ordered a Lee lens shade with filter slots for the lens. Not the least expensive method to go with but at least I'll have something that works. :)

Man, those shades are expensive!

Cheers

Michael Graves
12-Dec-2006, 05:05
Lee makes a set of 100mm filters that fit into a holder that will fit just about any lens. A pair of elastic covered springs on the filter holder snap around the lens barrel and you slide the filters into the holder. There is a B&W set with holder for around sixty bucks and you can add other filters as well.