PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 300/9-M and Fuji 300/8.5-C

Rider
9-Dec-2006, 15:56
These two lenses seem to serve very similar functions and to have similar specs.

Is there any reason to prefer one of these lenses over the other?

The Fuji has a bigger image circle, according to the published specs, but that should not be much of a concern for 4x5 or even 5x7.

Nick_3536
9-Dec-2006, 16:39
The Fuji is still made.

Most people seem to believe the real image circle is bigger on the Nikon.

Rider
9-Dec-2006, 18:38
Is there any evidence that the Nikon has a larger image circle? In any event, I am indifferent to that since they both cover 4x5 without a problem (except to the extent the whole world believes it and it affects resale value).

Dave_B
9-Dec-2006, 20:34
The Nikkor M 300 f9 is an outstanding lens. Small and light, very sharp with excellent contrast. I do not own the Fuji but the Nikkor will be very hard to beat.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Ron Marshall
9-Dec-2006, 20:35
I have the Fuji, nice lens. The 300 A is supposedly a better lens.

David Karp
9-Dec-2006, 21:12
For what its worth, I have a Nikkor 300M. It is a very good lens. However, based on many, many threads on this subject in this forum over the years, if I would have found a used 300mm Fujinon C first at a similar price, I would have bought that. (And probably would have been just as happy.

Mark Stahlke
10-Dec-2006, 09:26
The Nikkor M 300 f9 is an outstanding lens. Small and light, very sharp with excellent contrast. I do not own the Fuji but the Nikkor will be very hard to beat.
The Fuji C 300 f8.5 is an outstanding lens. Small and light, very sharp with excellent contrast. I do not own the Nikkor but the Fuji will be very hard to beat.

For what its worth, I have a Nikkor 300M. It is a very good lens. However, based on many, many threads on this subject in this forum over the years, if I would have found a used 300mm Fujinon C first at a similar price, I would have bought that. (And probably would have been just as happy.
For what its worth, I have a Fuji 300C. It is a very good lens. However, based on many, many threads on this subject in this forum over the years, if I would have found a used 300mm Nikkor M first at a similar price, I would have bought that. (And probably would have been just as happy.

The bottom line: Pick one, be happy. :D

Ted Harris
10-Dec-2006, 10:20
I have the Fuji, nice lens. The 300 A is supposedly a better lens.

There is no question in my mind (or that of any of the other users) that the 300 A is a 'better' lens than either the 300M or the 300C. The 300 A, however, is a different design and much more expensive on the used market (figure in the range of 800-1200 depending on the bidding frenzy on eBay and around 1000 in mint condition from a dealer). Having said that, I really wouldn't use the word 'better' in a side-by-side comparison of any two exccellent modern lenses such as these two. There are lens to lens tradeoffs but ultimately you have to make your own decision based on the look of the images fromt he lens, the price, the weight, etc. I use a 300 A and a 300 Symmar S MC so I can't directly compare these two. I do use a 450M and find it to be a worthy performer up to any task I have given it.