PDA

View Full Version : 400 speed Transparency film? (also Provia question)

tim atherton
3-May-2000, 15:49
First,

Is there a 400 speed 4x5 Transperency film available or is the only thing you ca n do is push it? (also, that about E200?) (I am playing with hand-held 4x5 right now)

Secondly, I haven't used 4x5 Fuji in a while - what are their basic films now? L ast time I looked it was Provia, Astia and Velvia. I know about the new Provia 1 00F, but what about "standard" Provia? I was going to order some from my supply house (I'm up in northern Canada) and they said they couldn't get Provia 100 any more. They are a major supply house - just film, paper, chemicals etc etc. Is th ere a newer version of 100, or is that just 100F now?

Thanks

Tim A

Ron Shaw
3-May-2000, 17:05
As far as I know, ISO100 is the fastest available anymore. (Up until recently, Kodak had (the older)E200 available in 4x5, but I havent seen that available for awhile). I use a lot of Provia, both the older RDPII and the newer RDPIII. I find it serves my general purpose needs quite well. If you can use largish apertures, you may still be able to handhold in sunlight using ISO100, or, as you mentioned, push it.

Ray Dunn
4-May-2000, 10:12
Tim, I saw an article in July 99 'Photographic' that outlined the recent crop of transparancy films, and the Fuji MS 100/1000 claims to be useable up to EI 1000. I haven't used this film myself, but it might be worth looking into. Another article claims that Fuji Provia 100F may be pushed the two stops to EI400 with good results. I do use the Provia 100F, and I am inclined to believe the claim. It really is amazing stuff. I don't remember how much longer the standard Provia 100 will be available, I think the 100F (RDP III) will be the replacement. Like you, I can't get the Provia 100 (RDP II), but I sure like the the Provia 100F (RDP III). Good luck with your testing.

Glenn Kroeger
4-May-2000, 13:20
Tim: Fuji MS100/1000 doesn't come in sheet sizes yet. Provia 100F is a very different film than ProviaII. It is very fine grain, has better colors and pushes very well. I regularly push it one stop to 200, and have pushed it 2 stops to 400 with nice results, still good contrast but some increase in grain. I have switched almost entirely to 100F since I can push each sheet as needed... close to a universal film. If you want lower saturation, Astia pushed quite well also.