PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Super Symmar 80mm Mounting

John A McDonald
6-Dec-2006, 21:07
I have a Schneider Super Symmar 80mm on order from Badger Graphic. According to the Schneider Literature, "Performance requires effort
The well-known saying “from nothing comes nothing” purports to state: Whoever
demands high performance should not stint on expense. For that reason, SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH has employed aspheric technology, which, thanks to the most modern computerized numerically controlled machine tools and processing methods, has only recently been used at reasonable cost in mass production, together with refined methods of computerized
calculation, so as to set a new standard for lenses with the Super-Symmar
XL Aspheric.
So that its outstanding image quality achieved is not placed at risk, the photographer
must observe the following rules:
ˇ. The lens, which at great expense was adjusted at the factory during its installation
in the shutter, should never be unscrewed
and taken apart unnecessarily, in order not to change the very precise distance between the front and rear component
which must be maintained, and in order to prevent its being screwed on crooked if both parts are not put back together properly."

As a newbie to LF, does this mean I need to return the lens mounted to lens board to the factory for recalibration?

In this vein, the Apo-Symmar L 210 lens I received had finger tight rear and front lens elements. Is this typical?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ralph Barker
7-Dec-2006, 08:11
. . . does this mean I need to return the lens mounted to lens board to the factory for recalibration?

No, in practical terms, it just means that one needs to be careful.

Brian Ellis
7-Dec-2006, 11:44
I'm glad I didn't read that before I bought mine. I would have been afraid to use it.

roteague
7-Dec-2006, 11:45
This is the first I have heard of it. But, I keep my 80 on the same lens board, so it has only been mounted once.

JJ Viau
7-Dec-2006, 14:31
In this vein, the Apo-Symmar L 210 lens I received had finger tight rear and front lens elements. Is this typical?
I experienced the same things for all my Apo Symmar L, also the 210mm. From time to time I may need to tighten the rear element a little bit. I would say it is OK and has no inffluence on picture quality as long as one of the element is not unscrewed way back.

JJ

Eric Woodbury
7-Dec-2006, 14:44
Who reads directions?

Eric James
7-Dec-2006, 14:52
Who reads directions?

It's not the American way!

I remember reading this and feeling apprehensive about going forward - Ralph's got it right: just be careful. Don't cross the threads; screw in the rear element and snug it up kinda tight.

John A McDonald
7-Dec-2006, 20:13
Thanks all. So much for computer aided lens design, micron tolerances, etc! Appreciate the advice. John McDonald

Ernest Purdum
8-Dec-2006, 11:43
I guess "unnecesarily" is the key word.

Lazybones
29-Jun-2007, 14:54
I experienced the same things for all my Apo Symmar L, also the 210mm. From time to time I may need to tighten the rear element a little bit. I would say it is OK and has no inffluence on picture quality as long as one of the element is not unscrewed way back.

JJ

While I can't remember how my 150mm APO-Symmar L arrived, both my 210mm APO-Symmar L and 110mm Super-Symmar XL were barely finger-tight out of the box. I guess we just have to be careful. ;)

turtle
30-Jun-2007, 00:39
I guess you only need to remove the rear section to mount it on a panel and so it might be prudent to avoid removing the front assembly from the shutter if you dont need to (which you should not need to unless the shutter dies).

Uusilehto
30-Jun-2007, 04:49
What is this oversensitivity with lenses mounted on shutters? What could possibly go out of alignment when screwing the cells in and out? It's not like you're moving the actual elements within the cells.

Of course, sometimes there will be shims between the shutter and one of the cells. Most (99%) of the lenses built for shutters don't have shims.

turtle
30-Jun-2007, 05:43
I dont know, but Schneider made a point of mentioning it specifically with respect to the Super Symmar XL series so there must be something I would have thought