PDA

View Full Version : Somebody using low contrast filters?

Marco Annaratone
5-Dec-2006, 11:48
Is anybody using low contrast filters like Lee's? There are four grades of them, i.e., 1/4 (less strong), 1/2, 1, and 1 1/2 (strongest). What is your experience with them? Which one would you recommend to buy first? Not-so-hidden-traps :) I should be aware?

I need to lower the contrast of some scenes in sunny days (when shooting color) and I am considering using this approach, but I did not find much on the net.

Thanks!!

Andrew O'Neill
5-Dec-2006, 21:15
Well, I think these filters give a slight flare effect to your image, especially around light sources...if you don't mind this then they may work for you. Another way (and better) is to pre-exposure your film. Make an exposure through a translucent piece of plexi (first, take a reading through the plexi, and then decrease your exposure by about 3 stops), then make an exposure of your scene as you normally would.
Are you shooting negative or positive film?

Marco Annaratone
6-Dec-2006, 00:37
Andrew, I am shooting positive.

It looks like you've tried this route with the plexi already, but 3 stops seem such a substantial amount of light hitting the film that ... are you sure it's 3? Also, I guess the plexi must be absolutely still, i.e., I can't just hand-hold a piece in front of the lens, right?

Cheers!