PDA

View Full Version : China and Vietnam January 2007

Scott Rosenberg
1-Dec-2006, 22:46
good day,

i have the good fortune to be spending most of January 2007 in Vietnam and China for business. I'll have the luxury of weekends off to spend however i see fit, and am planning on extending my stay for a week or so to explore, learn about the culture, and do some shooting. i have only just started to research possible shooting areas, and thought I'd supplement my search with a post here.

I am familiar with the Li River in the Guilin area of China, and plan to spend some time there. I know virtually nothing about Vietnam, except that I've heard it's a beautiful country.

I realize this is a big question, but was hoping to get some more suggestions on places to visit to shoot landscapes in China and Vietnam. Since I've never visited these countries before, any general tips on not offending the locals or getting around with a view camera would also be great.

regards,

QT Luong
2-Dec-2006, 01:04
For starters, see: http://www.terragalleria.com/vietnam/info/vietnam-photography.html
and the associated photo gallery for some ideas.

jwaddison
2-Dec-2006, 01:20
I've spent quite a bit of time (3 years altogether) in Heilongiang province in the north, and lesser time in Jilin Province and Fuzhou (just west of Taiwan). If you might go to any of those places, let me know, but there are more scenic places in China.

In Vietnam I had a guided car and walking tour of the northern 3/4 of the country doing my regular work (not photography). I can recommend: the mountainous area north and west of Hanoi, up the red and black river valleys; Ha Long Province (Haiphong is the biggest city and port) where they have a beautiful coast with islands; and the Central Highlands west of Quy Nhon, where I heard the american soldiers liked to spend their Rand R. There are some indiginous people there (not Vietnamese) who try to adhere to their old lifestyle. This is made more difficult by the conversion of forests to tea or coffee plantations - which I understand the government apologised for and promised to make good. There was a bit of tension between them and the gov't when I was there last, and I wasn't able to get into their traditional territories, although I did the first time I was there. Things have probably calmed down by now. The Central Highlands is also the home of the Vietnamese Martial Arts, and if you get a chance to see an exhibit, don't miss it. They are fantastic. It is also the home to one of their national historical figures, who is credited with driving out the Chinese invaders, and there is a temple built in his honour. This is where you are most likely to see the Martial Arts. There are 3 highways into the Highlands, one from south of Da Nang, one going east from Quy Nhon (where I was based) and one from Ninh Hoa. You can go in one and come out one of the others, although I only travelled the one from Quy Nhon.
The people are great, the food is wonderful and the scenery awesome, whether you like landscapes, people or street shooting you will find something you like. I'd love to go back just to take pictures and if time were limiting I would hire and driver/interpreter and car.
A GPS is a handy tool to take so you can figure out where you are, a good map, and don't forget to carry a matchbook with the name and address of the hotel you're staying in so you can show it to the taxi driver and get back to the hotel.

If you go inland at all you will pass over the Ho Chi Minh trail, although it's not obviously marked.

You will really enjoy it, and I'm jealous.

Take warm clothing for the north - but you can always buy it there.

Good luck and have fun. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

william linne
2-Dec-2006, 06:33
China is such a fascinating country that you will be able to find interesting subjects wherever you go. I personally I have been through Shanghai/Suzhou/Wushi area, as well as Ruili, which is in the southwest part of Yunnan province (and a hundred different little towns I stopped at while on the train to Ruili). The landscapes in Yunnan were especially beautiful. I was there during SARS (oh, everything was so cheap and uncrowded!). The Shanghai area was an incredible place to photograph. The whole place has the feeling of New York in the early 1900's (or I imagine it does). The breadth and scale of industry there will knock you off your feet. It made me think, "My poor America. We don't have a chance!" The labor force and the capital that China is amassing is unstoppable.

William

Ron Marshall
2-Dec-2006, 11:24
There is so much to see in China. I spent a month there and barely scratched the surface.

Fly to Chungdu and take the train to Lhasa. The scenery will be spectacular, and you can avoid the altitude sickness that often results from a direct flight to Lhasa.

JWAddison has VN covered well. If you find small boats and rivers interesting subject matter, get to the Mekong delta.

If you have time consider a short flight to Siem Riep in Cambodia, to see Angkor Wat. You won't regret it.

Scott Davis
2-Dec-2006, 12:50
IF you have a spare weekend while you're in Vietnam, take the chance to pop over to Angkor Wat in Cambodia - it's about a 1 1/2 hr plane ride from Saigon or Hanoi. It is truly not to be missed. The only hassle will be in dealing with shooting LF at Angkor- they do that whole "must get a commercial permit" thing to shoot LF, as they assume that LF=Professional. Also, another hot tip, should you decide to go - find out what the going rate for the tourist visa is, and make sure you have that amount in US Dollar cash on you when you arrive. This will save you time, and hassle, and money too, as the visa price for non USD payments is higher.

Ron Marshall
2-Dec-2006, 17:27
IF you have a spare weekend while you're in Vietnam, take the chance to pop over to Angkor Wat in Cambodia - it's about a 1 1/2 hr plane ride from Saigon or Hanoi. It is truly not to be missed. The only hassle will be in dealing with shooting LF at Angkor- they do that whole "must get a commercial permit" thing to shoot LF, as they assume that LF=Professional.

Last year a good friend of mine shot at Angkor. Initially they wanted $400/day, but he bargained them down to $200 by claiming to be a poor student. If you go take some proof that you are employed in another field than photography, it will boost your bargaining power.

You can purchase a one, three or seven day pass. I loved the place, and went at low season when it was deserted and stayed for six days. If I was doing it again I would take one day to plan my shots, no shooting permit required, then do all of the shooting in one day.

Scott Rosenberg
3-Dec-2006, 21:48
thanks so much for all the suggestions, fellas. you guys have really given me a lot to look into.

how difficult is it traveling through China and Vietnam as an English-only speaking tourist without a translator?

Scott

David Karp
3-Dec-2006, 22:42
Scott,

What a great trip. Have a great time.

jwaddison
4-Dec-2006, 00:10
thanks so much for all the suggestions, fellas. you guys have really given me a lot to look into.

how difficult is it traveling through China and Vietnam as an English-only speaking tourist without a translator?

Scott

Well of course it's easier with a translator, and a lot depends where you are. If you're in an urban setting, someone who speaks a bit of English may come along and help you out. In the countryside that won't happen. In both places people will bend over backwards to try and figure out what you need. I spent a month in Vietnam by myself, without my "minder" or driver, and got along fine. Just be prepared to eat what they give you in restaurants, or point at what someone else is eating that looks good. Don't get hung up on what exactly it is you're eating, especially in rural China.

Learn a few local words, like bathroom and beer, and take note of what the signs/words look like for the men's and women's. Take a small dictionary so you can point at the words in English and someone can read the Chinese/Vietnamese.

I ended up with a bad case of heartburn in Vietnam, went to a pharmacy and managed to get across what was wrong. The pharmacist gave me some medicine that cleared it up immediately. A couple of days later he stopped by my hotel to find out how I was doing.

If you can plan your day ahead of time and hire a taxi (or pedicab, or?)for the day, get the hotel personnel to explain to the driver where you're going and what you're doing. The hotel may also be able to find you an informal companion for the day who speaks enough English to be useful.

I find that some of the teenagers speak enough English to help you out. Speak slowly, clearly, and don't use big words or long sentences.

At the risk or repeating myself, I would take a GPS. I found it comforting to know where I was in and where my hotel was located. But I have a terrible sense of direction and get lost easily.

As far as paying for things, get them to write it down so you can read it. Both countries use the same numbering system we do.

I'm green with envy over your trip. Just relax and enjoy it when you get there, and don't get too excited if things aren't happening the way you think they should. There's usually a good reason that they can't or won't communicate to you.

If you get ill or hurt, do your best to stay out of the local hospitals. Go to a private western clinic, which are in most of the larger ciites. They have better facilities, drugs, and western-trained Dr's who speak English.

QT Luong
4-Dec-2006, 00:21
About traveling in China without a translator, see my travel notes at:
http://www.terragalleria.com/asia/info/south-west-china-notes.html
I'm not really experienced to comment about that on Vietnam, since I do speak the language.

To add to other suggestions, is my goal was primary the landscape, what I would concentrate on in Vietnam is: (a): Karstic landscapes in the North, including Halong Bay. For Halong Bay, I would hire a boat by myself for an overnighter on the bay, and try to climb some of the formations to get a higher viewpoint, (b) the road between Da Nang and Hue (with a hired car and driver), (c) Mountains around Sapa (by hiking).

Ron Marshall
4-Dec-2006, 08:01

Scott

In cities or places with a steady flow of tourists adequate English will be spoken. That includes the places that QT mentioned in VN. Off the beaten track in China or VN you can get by with gestures, written symbols, and a few key words. If you walk into a hotel the desk clerk will understand that you want a room etc.

On a trek in Nepal years ago I walked into the first inn and found that no English was spoken. But within minutes I was hustled off to a room and settled in for the night. When I appeared downstairs minutes later they knew I wanted dinner and sent their son to quide my friend and I to a "restaurant".

kv nguyen
4-Dec-2006, 08:57
Try to go to HOI AN, VIETNAM , about 30 km from Da Nang . I use to live there , really beautiful . Or HA LONG bay in noth VIETNAM
have fun