PDA

View Full Version : Not another which camera question; Shen Hao or 45A/X?

Rider
1-Dec-2006, 09:47
I know not everyone loves these questions, but I do need to get a field camera to start shooting outdoors.

I'm no longer interested in the Toyo 45CF. Now I'm looking at the Shen Hao (new) vs. a used Toyo 45A (which is similar to the current 45AX).

The two cost about the same. A new 45AX costs much more, but I'm having trouble seeing why. It seems you get a lot from the Shen Hao.

Any big picture words of wisdom?

Bill_1856
1-Dec-2006, 10:00
It doesn't matter. If you happen to pick the right one, you'll always be pleased with yourself that you didn't waste your money on that other piece of s**t. If you pick the wrong one you'll dis yourself for years that you could ever have been so stupid. My suggestion is to decide on the best dealer for your purpose and location, and buy whichever one he sells.

Ted Harris
1-Dec-2006, 10:08
Bill is on the money with one exception. There is a major diference in the feel (feel not necessarily performance) of the Toyo and the Shen Hao. It is the difference of the percision feel of metal v. wood. This makes a big difference to some people and none to others. If you have not already called Jim at Midwst then do so. He sells both the Shen Hao and the Toyo new and last I looked also had a used Toyo A at a excellent price. If he still has it and you get it but are not happy he will be glad to exchange it for a new Shen Hao.

Alan Davenport
1-Dec-2006, 13:23
There are any number of field cameras out there, which have the features most photographers need.

All of them will produce comparable results.

squiress
1-Dec-2006, 14:18
Ted is absolutely right on the approach you might consider. I bought a 45CF from Jim at Midwest and then turned around and bought an AX set on Ebay. He swapped the CF (unused in original condition) for some lenses for the AX. Great deal on the lenses too. I consider him as a retailer that wants you to get a lot out of the experience. He also might be someone to help you in a conversation make a more informed decision. By all means give him a call.

Stew

tim atherton
1-Dec-2006, 16:38
As much as I like my old, long lastign toyo 45A, you could do worse than snap this up asap

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21420

Brian Ellis
2-Dec-2006, 07:57
Some people like wood cameras, others like metal. I've always preferred the precision and smooth feel of a metal camera. No matter how expensive the wood camera (and I've owned two Ebonys and two Deardorffs) they don't compare to metal in those terms. But as between the two cameras you mention it probably comes down to that kind of preference since they're similar in terms of features. Personally I'd buy the Toyo in a heart-beat as between those two (actually if I were looking for an inexpensvie wood camera for landscapes I'd buy the Tachihara but you don't mention it so I won't). But possibly you prefer wood to metal or possibly the Shen Hao has something that you think you need in terms of movements or other features that you haven't mentioned.

Ted Harris
2-Dec-2006, 08:21
Brian underscores the point I made earlier and I echo his sentiments. Again, others feel differently. I, too, have owned a lot of wooden cameras (Wisner, Tachihara, Zone VI and Wista) and always came back to metal. One exception, my Canham T57 which I consider a metal camera inside a wood box.

Wood v.metal is the big difference and the only major one. It is personal perference mostly. We can argue about feel and precision but both get the job done. None of these beasties are true precision machines. No matter what you use your eye will still be the most critical (and weakest) link in the chain.

gregstidham
2-Dec-2006, 08:50
First post alert :)

I used to own a Shen Hao 45 and enjoyed it very much. Here are some opinions of why I chose it over the Toyo 45 series cameras.

I used to own a Toyo GX studio camera and thus fully know the quality of the Toyo brand. The 45 series cameras were the same quality, with the exception of the CF camera which I didn't like. I chose the Shen Hao over the 45 for two reasons.

1) The back standard would move forward for use with wide angle lenses. Other wood field cameras do this also. The 45 series has a drop bed, but I like the Shen Hao rear standard better.

2) I like the aesthetic of wood cameras. Not sure why, but everytime I use a wood camera I smile. The teak wood on the Shen Hao smelled nice also. :) Otherwise, the two cameras had similar features that I needed at the time.

I really wanted a Canham wood camera, but it did not have a grafloc back which I needed. I sure wish he would add an option for one.

IMO, ask yourself what you are wanting to achieve with your photography today, then buy a camera to fill the need.

steve simmons
2-Dec-2006, 09:03
Wood vs,. metal is less important than features. It is like the real estate agent said when assessing the value of a home.The three most important considerations are location, location, location. With a view camera it is feaures features, features.

Before buying a camera the buyer should decide which features are important. I would consider these to be

bellows length and collapsability
movements
portability
what range of lenses are going to be used

Some of the answers will depend on what subject(s) are going to be photographed - people, landscape, architecture, ??.

There is an article is the Free Articles section of the View Camera site called Getting Started in Large Format that I would recommend people read before gettng a camera.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

Ted Harris
2-Dec-2006, 09:16
Steve is right on regarding the article. Going back to the OP two points .... 1)have you tried renting a field camera for a week before buying? 2) regarding the original two cameras questioned, as already mentioned they have nearly the same bellows draw and similar movements .... the Shen Hao may have a bit more movement than the Toyo and the Toyo will let you use somewhat shorter lenses without a bag bellows, OTOH the bellows on the Shen is interchangeable .. all this mentioned before.

Michael Graves
2-Dec-2006, 11:46
I sort of agree with Steve on this, except for one point. I live in Vermont and I have a metal Toyo 5x7 and a wooden Eastman 5x7. Once the cold weather rolls around, the lenses get remounted on the Eastman lens boards. If you've ever tried working with a metal camera at five below zero, you know why I do it this way. I sacrifice something in bellows extension and in movements. But at least I'm shooting. I like shooting winter scenes.

Wood vs,. metal is less important than features. It is like the real estate agent said when assessing the value of a home.The three most important considerations are location, location, location. With a view camera it is feaures features, features.

Before buying a camera the buyer should decide which features are important. I would consider these to be

bellows length and collapsability
movements
portability
what range of lenses are going to be used

Some of the answers will depend on what subject(s) are going to be photographed - people, landscape, architecture, ??.

There is an article is the Free Articles section of the View Camera site called Getting Started in Large Format that I would recommend people read before gettng a camera.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

Ted Harris
2-Dec-2006, 12:16
Now I 'll disgree with Michael :). I live right on the Vermont/NH border near Hanover/White River Junction. I shoot frequently in sub zero weather and that is where the Toyo AII/AX (not the A) shines. The large knobs make wetting up and focusing with mittens on a breeze.

naturephoto1
2-Dec-2006, 13:09
I sort of agree with Steve on this, except for one point. I live in Vermont and I have a metal Toyo 5x7 and a wooden Eastman 5x7. Once the cold weather rolls around, the lenses get remounted on the Eastman lens boards. If you've ever tried working with a metal camera at five below zero, you know why I do it this way. I sacrifice something in bellows extension and in movements. But at least I'm shooting. I like shooting winter scenes.

I remember reading that when David Muench had taken a photo of the Teton range he lost sensation in his fingertips as a result of shooting his Linhof Super Technika without gloves when the temperature was -30 F. I believe the photo was on the cover of Outdoor Photographer and even today I believe he has numbness in his fingertips.

When shooting in cold or very cold conditions, we do have to be careful particularly when handling metal cameras and metal parts on wooden cameras and metal tripods.

High temperatures can be a problem or concern when handling metal cameras and metal parts on wooden cameras and metal tripods.

On the other hand there is some concern of swelling of wooden cameras in very high humidity for long or extended periods.

Rich

tim atherton
2-Dec-2006, 13:34

Wus.. :-)

I've used my Toyo 45A down to -40c/f just fine (well - the camera worked just fine - I start to slow down after a while)

Gary Smith
2-Dec-2006, 15:19
HI,

Not sure this will be much help, but I will throw in my cents worth. I had a Shen Hao for nearly a year, before I replaced it with a Toyo 45AII. The Shen was, at least for a me, a good starter camera and it taught me alot. It has a lot of movements and works very very well. What I didnt like about it was the lack of precision. The movements felt somewhat sloppy and never seemed to lock down that well. Also the camera felt like it was easily destroyed if accidently dropped or banged around accidently.

While the Toyo lacks some of the movements of the Shen, it feels to be a much better camera. Doing mostly landscape, I dont really miss the lack of movements either. It also is much more durable and is built like a tank.

These are just my own opinions, many people are very happy and have used thier Shen Haos for years. I do believe you will be happy with either choice.

Regards.

Gary

Ron Marshall
2-Dec-2006, 17:35
I have a very thin pair of leather gloves that allow great dexterity and reasonable comfort in winter with my metal camera. I have a large heavy pair of mittens that go over the gloves when I'm not manipulating the camera.