PDA

View Full Version : nick in lens...

cobalt
30-Nov-2006, 19:42
Hi.
Just got a 300/500 symmar convert. yesterday. What I initially thought was a bubble in the front element...turns out to be and ever so small flaw, nick, chip, or whatever in the glass. Should I return? I may never buy from this place again, as I think they are slipping a bit in the quality of the stuff the send out as "bargain". Then again, bargain is indicative of lenses that might have "marks" that "should not" affect picture quality. On the other hand, shot with it (once) yesterday...REALLY liked the results.

The problem is, I REALLY like the lens. Will this slight imperfection be a problem down the line? All my other lenses are "nick free"..Little confused...

BrianShaw
30-Nov-2006, 19:45
If the nick is on a edge, it probably won't matter. In the middle, and it might matter. Since you like the results, it doesn't matter. The only thing that might matter is that every time you look at the lens you will see the nick.

rob
30-Nov-2006, 20:08
if that place is keh, you can email a complaint that the lens has a chip on the glass. They usually offer a discount. Last time I did that they offered me ~20% discount on the lens. Of course, you can always return it, but you lose shipping both ways.

cobalt
30-Nov-2006, 20:13
if that place is keh, you can email a complaint that the lens has a chip on the glass. They usually offer a discount. Last time I did that they offered me ~20% discount on the lens. Of course, you can always return it, but you lose shipping both ways.

You must be reading my mind. I JUST emailed, along with a picture! Think this will cause a performance problem? Oh, and yes, it was KEH.

BrianShaw
30-Nov-2006, 20:29
Perhaps that is why it was graded "bargain". Other than that it looks pretty good. That bit of Schneideritis won't harm a thing. Is the shutter running okay?

cobalt
30-Nov-2006, 20:42
Perhaps that is why it was graded "bargain". Other than that it looks pretty good. That bit of Schneideritis won't harm a thing. Is the shutter running okay?

The shutter is crisp and accurate. What the hell is Schneideritis???

BrianShaw
30-Nov-2006, 20:49
Schneideritis is a condition that Schneider lenses are prone to get where the blacking material (paint?) on the edge of the lens elements starts bubbling and/or flaking off. I've read about people with Rodensticks that have the same issue, but it's generally Schneiders... hence the name.

Do you mind if I ask a really impolite questions? So, how much did that lens sell for. That's what I'd use as the metric of how upset I was, or what I'd do about it... if I were you.

I bought a Hasselblad lens not long ago that was selling for a very nice price. When I got it, I looked at it and shot with it and couldn't figure out why I got such a deal. Later I was cleaning the front element and noticed a small spot where the coating was worn/damaged. It is still one of my favorite lenses but every time I use it I see that spot. Given the price I paid, I can live with it and not let it bother me too much.

cobalt
30-Nov-2006, 20:54
Schneideritis is a condition that Schneider lenses are prone to get where the blacking material (paint?) on the edge of the lens elements starts bubbling and/or flaking off. I've read about people with Rodensticks that have the same issue, but it's generally Schneiders... hence the name.

Do you mind if I ask a really impolite questions? So, how much did that lens sell for. That's what I'd use as the metric of how upset I was, or what I'd do about it... if I were you.

I bought a Hasselblad lens not long ago that was selling for a very nice price. When I got it, I looked at it and shot with it and couldn't figure out why I got such a deal. Later I was cleaning the front element and noticed a small spot where the coating was worn/damaged. It is still one of my favorite lenses but every time I use it I see that spot. Given the price I paid, I can live with it and not let it bother me too much.

just over 400...did I get ripped? Could have gotten a Multi coated for a few bucks more, but I liked the idea of using the 500mm option. Oh, and given the circumstances, your question is not impolite.
I've only bought (and kept..for a while) one lens with a chip...it was a 40mm hasselblad lens. Maybe you got it. :-)

BrianShaw
30-Nov-2006, 20:59
I don't think you got ripped at all. If I were you (but don't let that influence you any), I'd keep it... especially since you were happy with the results.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

Brian

BrianShaw
30-Nov-2006, 21:00
Oh... I meant to also say... that really IS a sweet focal length combination! :)

cobalt
30-Nov-2006, 21:01
Thanks for your input, Brian.

Capocheny
30-Nov-2006, 21:07
Satisfy your own curiosity... take it out and take a few shots with the lens. Then, take a critical look at the negative and resulting image.

I don't think it'll make much of a difference. :)

Cheers

walter23
30-Nov-2006, 21:20
You might want to ask "Erie Patsellis" (I think I got that right) to show you his example.. i looked at the older thread of mine in which he showed me, but the images are no longer on his server. Too bad. This lens was amazing - had a HUGE chunk right out of the center of it (looked like a 1cm gash probably several millimeters deep - I mean a HUGE, horrid, awful, throw-the-lens-out kind of gash) and it took a beautifully sharp studio-type image. I wouldn't want to be shooting into the sun with the thing though. In any case it eased my own anxieties over a little flaw in a lens I got.

naturephoto1
30-Nov-2006, 21:23
I would run a test on the lens and check the results on film when shooting toward or into the sun. That would give a reasonable check to see if that one spot on the front of the lens will have any or much of an affect on the lens performance. But take into account the fact that the lens is single coated. Also, by the way KEH is always conservative in their ratings. I agree that little mark/chip is the reason for the lens being down graded to Bargain.

Rich

Capocheny
30-Nov-2006, 21:28
Walter,

Gads, I remember that image!

LOL... now, that was "ONE SCARRED LENSE!" :)

How are you doing with that lens you bought?

Cheers

walter23
30-Nov-2006, 21:49
How are you doing with that lens you bought?

Cheers

All good as far as I can tell. I'm really happy with it so far, and I'm not at all anxious about the scratch anymore.

BrianShaw
1-Dec-2006, 07:57
I would run a test on the lens and check the results on film when shooting toward or into the sun. That would give a reasonable check to see if that one spot on the front of the lens will have any or much of an affect on the lens performance. But take into account the fact that the lens is single coated.

This is a good point that I should have thought about mentioning last night. God knows... I harp on this topic frequently on another forum!

One of my assumptions is that a decent lens hood would be used. For me, that is true but maybe not for everyone. With a lens hood I DEFINITELY thnk there would be no negative effect from that chip/mark, but with sun on the lens there might possibly be some noticable effect. But there might be anyway due to the single coating.

If I were a betting man, however, I'd stand by my earlier statement that the cost/benefits of the lens far outweigh any potential impact of the chip/mark or the single coating.

erie patsellis
1-Dec-2006, 09:48
Walter, et. al,

I'm in Wisconsin for a grand daughters b/day party, I"ll be home sunday and I'll repost the pics, did some website changes and didn't move the jpgs to the new website...Knew there was something I forgot to do.

erie

Frank R
1-Dec-2006, 15:34
Go to this link:

http://www.deansofidaho.com/

Click on "Old Stuff" in the left column, then scroll down and click on the "Dirty Lens Test"

It will put your fears to rest.