PDA

View Full Version : Retouching White Spots on Epson Prints

steube59
29-Nov-2006, 12:07
My first post at LFPF, so here it goes!

Could someone kindly suggest a website or other "How-To" source, that thoroughly addresses the retouching of white spots that rarely, but eventually occurs on larger ink-jet (Epson) prints?

When I either print myself (Epson R1800 or Pro 7800) or occasionally outsource printing, there are a couple of tiny white spots that are too conspicuous to tolerate. The larger the print, the more likely this happens. These prints are ultimately for sale, so quality and long term color stability are paramount.

Ansel Adams, et. al., knew that retouching wet-darkroom prints were an inevitability, and their technique(s) are well known. But for today's large ink-jet prints, I'm having trouble finding really good information...

paulr
29-Nov-2006, 12:28
The best thing I've found is avoiding them in the first place. They come from loose bits of coating flaking off. I keep a draftsman's brush by the printer and pretty vigorously brush each sheet before printing on it. It has eliminated the problem.

Some papers are more prone to it than others.

Greg Miller
29-Nov-2006, 13:33
I'm assuming you are using a matte paper, in which case you are seeing the coating flake off. If the print is for sale I make another print. If the print is more demo pruposes I will try to touch-up with a felt tip marker. Before making the print I will work the paper over with a soft anti-static brush. You also want to be careful how you handle the print. I will usually use the brush again after the ink has dried for a while just to be sure.

Michael Gordon
29-Nov-2006, 13:43
I disassemble "empty" 220ml cartridges and keep the 1/10th volume of ink that still remains even though Epson says they are "empty" (was anyone else party to the Epson class action lawsuit regarding same?). If the spotting work isn't too difficult, you can choose the appropriate UC ink color and spot it with genuine UC pigments.

And ditto to what Paul says. WRT to matte papers, I use an anti-static brush and give the paper a good brushing prior to printing. I have never had flaking problems as a result.

Jack Flesher
29-Nov-2006, 15:49
I'm also assuming you are referring to matte papers. If so, I found the problem all but disappeared when I switched to using Hanehmuhle Photo Rag and Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art. I still blow them off carefully with canned air before I print, but have not had a visible flake since making the switch. Works well for me because I like those paper tones and sufaces anyway, but YMMV.

FWIW only,