PDA

View Full Version : Digital and Time

Struan Gray
29-Nov-2006, 06:29
This is a spill-over from the B+W magazine thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=6487). It is not really an LF-topic, but I hope the moderators will indulge me, as it is concerned with thinking about the medium in the conscious, contemplative way that comes as second nature (or is forced upon) LF workers.

Photographs contain a time structure: that is, they are a record of the light that hits the film during the period that the shutter is open. When the light does not move or vary, all that is recorded is the Guild Photographer's perfectly focused spot, but if the lights or the camera change during the exposure you can analyse the resulting blob on the film to learn something about the subject, the camera, or yourself. All three are valid topics for art or science.

In analogue photography this is the basis of canonical gems such as Lartigue's racing car, the motion or gesture blur that led animators to draw lines behind fast-falling coyotes, and the old schoolboy gag of turning up twice in the same group photograph. There are also technical toys like finish line timers and streak cameras for very high speed photography. In all of these you can think of the photograph not only as a spatial collection of tones, but also a temporal one: the exposure is made up of a series of time slices, which are combined to form the final image.

Digital has two advantages over analogue even for these sorts of traditional uses. First, digital is linear and - given the right camera - has better low-light performance (it is also simpler with digital to recover signal to noise by averaging). This makes it easier to tease out the separate time slices because you are less likely to lose information to reciprocity failure. Second - and perhaps more important conceptually - you can combine the time slices in more complex and subtle ways.

A classic case would be the long exposure that removes people and moving cars from street scenes. With digital you can mimic the analogue case with a single long exposure, but you can also play other games if you take a succession of short exposures and combine them with a rule that is more complex than simple addition. For example, you could photograph a town square or plaza and instead of averaging away the people, combine the individual shots so that the final photograph included everyone who visited the square that day. Or everyone who sat down for longer than two minutes. Or everyone who wore red clothing.

Another example would be the way that analogue photography privileges bright objects. Your Guild member gets understandably upset when a jet or satellite swims into his night time ken, and all those conceptualists whirling their cameras by their straps over their heads soon learn that only the brightest things leave a trail. Digital combinetrics would allow you to select for dark trails instead, simply by changing the combination rule. With digital it is as easy to photograph the swirls of a flock of rooks as a flock of seagulls, with analogue you tend to stick to white birds.

Arguably all the above could be done with analogue techniques, given enough time, internegatives and masks. I feel though that the ease of the digital way is so much greater that it amounts to an enabling technology. Milk splashes were photographed long before the electronic flash was invented, but it's Edgerton's photo everyone remembers.

And then you have the things that are simply impossible with analogue. To stop things getting too fanciful here's an example from my own experience: combining image stacks in microscopy to increase the apparent depth of field. Again, this can be done in a simple, painstaking way with analogue photography using a sheet of light and multiple exposures; but there is no way in that case to fine-tune your definition of 'sharp'. In the digital realm it is possible to tailor the combining algorithm to look for particular types of sharpness, or to concentrate on particular spectral bands, or to ignore sharp objects near to experimental artefacts, or, or, or.

Art photography hasn't really got to grips with the implications of all this, but I am sure it will, given time. There seems to be a lot of current interest in very long exposures, averaged faces from classes or groups, and things like whole journeys seen out of car windows. My point is that these sorts of concerns can be addressed with more finesse and descrimination by using more sophisticated selection rules to create the combined image. For the moment though, the scientists are some way out in front.

My own desire would be for a high-fidelity single-shot back to use for playing with motion in landscapes. Breaking waves photos that show the turbulence in sharp relief for the whole motion of the wave. Darkness trails on a windblown sea. The colour structure of a snowscape photographed over the course of an arctic summer's day. Are you listening Santa?

tim atherton
29-Nov-2006, 09:07
In analogue photography this is the basis of canonical gems such as Lartigue's racing car, the motion or gesture blur that led animators to draw lines behind fast-falling coyotes, and the old schoolboy gag of turning up twice in the same group photograph. There are also technical toys like finish line timers and streak cameras for very high speed photography. In all of these you can think of the photograph not only as a spatial collection of tones, but also a temporal one: the exposure is made up of a series of time slices, which are combined to form the final image.0

and of course, perhaps most influential of all, Muybridge's motion images. Their original intention (still used today) was to literally "stop motion" to show once and for all how a horse ran (and then on to how people moved etc etc).

But their real, lasting influence was they led to the motion picture, the movies - a whole new art form, a radically different way of seeing and telling.

I think the things Struan mention later in his post - essentially the thus far unimagined possibilities of digital - are where the real impact of digital will be felt. Things we haven't even thought of yet.

Just using digital for "photography" will be seen in the future as the first few primitive steps.

Gordon Moat
29-Nov-2006, 10:55
I am somehow reminded of a few articles. One was how some photojournalists are now taking smaller HD video cameras to locations, then selecting out stills to send in to their editors. Another was the mention in several places about how imaging chips function (including numerous white papers) and comments from heavily digitally biased educators about how film still excells in many night imaging scenarios. To simplify this, and avoid an impossibly long posting, black in an image capture would relate to no charge at a cell site of an imaging chip, while white relates to a full charge on an imaging chip. Combine that with Bayer pattern interpolation, and you might see that there are issues with very low charges being properly combined for dark areas. Turning up the gain (setting a different ISO) can amplify those low charge collection cell sites, but brings in other issues. Every imaging chip has only one true equivalent ISO recording capability, though cameras and digital backs allow setting ISO to higher values. There are many White Papers on this aspect of performance, so anyone interested in the more technical aspects of this should search around to find out more.

Since I do lots of long night exposures with my 4x5, it is probably inevitable that I would want to compare working with digital camera. Up to about 30 seconds exposure there are a few cameras that do okay, but beyond that I have yet to find a digital capture system (D-SLR or digital back) that works well on one minute or longer exposures. Of course one can do post processing or noise reduction, but I have less hoops to jump through to do it on film. No right or wrong here, just my choice of what I want to use.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

paulr
29-Nov-2006, 14:26
Struan, are you working on any projects that put these ideas to use? I'd love to see what you come up with.

Struan Gray
4-Dec-2006, 07:30
Sorry for letting the thread dangle: I've been moving house. Not as bad as the thirty-nine Morris Minor loads I once shuttled across town as a student, but even I find it hard to log on when the computer is boxed up at the back of a pantechnicon.

Paul, In my scientific work I have always been aware of the time-sampling nature of measurement and in many of my experiments it has been important to consider it explicitly, if only to avoid being fooled by sampling artefacts or instumental errors. I have also written image-processing routines for myself and others that combine images to tease out more than the sum of their parts. It comes naturally to think about digital in the way I outlined. More generally, I have always been concerned with questions about what form can tell me about process, and this too translates easily to photography. I instinctively look at an image and think "What is going on here?" rather than "What is this?"

But at present I am more interested in formal visual effects than in what I think of as forensics. I have a strong didactic urge, and although I enjoy lecturing and teaching (aka: the sound of my own voice :-) I have attempted to use photography as a way of breaking out of a utilitarian appraoch to images. I am indeed interested in persuing these ideas as ways of creating pure visual effects, but not enough to do the hard work needed to get my hands on high-resolution digital photography kit. I am too in love with the tonality of LF to settle for currently affordable resolutions.

Tim, Muybridge is perhaps the antithesis of this: his work, and much good and classic photography is an attempt to deny the extended nature of an exposure. The decisive moment, not the decisive interval. It is possible though, that the temporal control that digital offers will show up most often in film (and I don't just mean bullet time :-), but I like to think it will allow new visual effects in still images too.

I think the real challenge will be to make such effects an important part of the image, and not just the artist's statement :-)

Gordon, the thing about taking the best still from a video stream is usually said as a criticism. The protestant work ethic eschewing lazy solutions that allegedly require no skill. I am not at all sure it would be a bad thing per se, but the proof will be in the pudding.

As for night photography, as an amateur photographer I can't disagree but my feeling is that the superiority of film is largely a question of finance and logistics. The last analogue holdouts in technical and scientific imaging were wide-area survey techniques at low intensities such as astronomical sky mapping or chest X-rays, but even these are going digital now. Linearity and slow-to-nonexistant calibration drift are worth any amount of hassle with cooled detectors or image intensifiers.

Thanks for the replies. So much of the digital 'debate' focusses on the technical aspects of the rather narrowly-defined photographic market. It is interesting to think a bit about the more general issues, and perhaps see a way of doing something both interesting and new. We'll see.