PDA

View Full Version : Bit Depth of Elements 5?

Michael Heald
28-Nov-2006, 16:30
Hello! I've been using Photoshop Elements 2 which is an 8 bit image editing program. I've been looking at Elements 5 ( as well as lightzone and full Photoshopwhen CS2). Is Elements 5 8 or 16 bit? Best regards.

Mike

robert
28-Nov-2006, 17:58
Michael, I know elements 3 allows you to edit in 16 bit.

Michael Heald
29-Nov-2006, 05:47
Hello! I thought Elements 3 and 4 only allowed 8 bit editing? Not until Photoshop CS2 did Adobe offer 16 bit editing (? some 16 bit in CS?), unless I am mistaken. Best regards.

Mike

robert
29-Nov-2006, 06:09
Michael, Google Photoshop Elements 3. On the amazon web site they will list the features of PSE3. It supports 16 bit editing and raw. With the 'Hidden Power of PSE3" program by Richard Lynch you also have access to curves which was eliminated in PSE4. In PSE4 he uses gradient maps in place of curves. I don't know about PSE 5 because I think it is only for PC and not supported for Mac.

robert
29-Nov-2006, 06:16
Michael, I just started the learning curve with photoshop. After looking at photoshop CS2 I was quite overwhelmed. I opted for Photoshop Elements to get started. Take a look at www.hiddenelements.com web site. It will give you indepth explanation of the various PSE programs.

Michael Heald
29-Nov-2006, 06:36
Hello! I use Elements 2 with Hidden Power. Elements 2 is 8 bit. I read the forums for Hidden Power, and Mr. Lynch had an extended discussion that implied that 16 bit wasn't available on elements 3 and 4. I'm not sure what 16 bit support Adobe refers to on the Amazon web site. Even CS only had partial 16 bit image editing capabilities. Best regards.

Mike

robert
29-Nov-2006, 06:46
Can you send me a link to this conversation. Because I received an email from him last week recommending PSE 3 because it has 16 bit editing and curves. If you click on the features tab in hidden elements for PSE3 it lists 16 bit there.

robert
29-Nov-2006, 06:59
In the forums Mr. Lynch says he likes to start with 16 bit because it gives him more latitude for adjustments. He says 16 bit is not necessary and you can only print in 8 bit. But if you edit in only 8 bit then what you send to the printer is less than 8 bit. Like I said, I'm new to this

Michael Heald
29-Nov-2006, 14:51
Hello! I tracked down some informaton on what Adobe means by 16 bit support in Elements 4. Basically, only tonal adjustments can be made. Layers, most filters, and many tools cannot be made in 16 bit, but must be converted to 8 bit for processing. Does anyone know if Elements 5 "16 bit support" is the same? Best regards.

Mike