PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with large format

Terry Hull
28-Nov-2006, 08:36
I have yet to travel with my new Arca Swiss Discovery, but am planning a trip to the southwest next year. My question concerns film/holders-is it easier to take a changing bag and put exposed film back in a film box so holders can be reloaded? I have 12 holders, and only shoot B&W

Scott Davis
28-Nov-2006, 08:42
Yes - what you are describing is quite manageable, and is standard procedure for folks travelling with LF who don't shoot Readyloads/Quickloads. Take along a spare empty box or two (or three... one for N, one for N- and one for N+ development). Offload your film from your shooting at a convenient interval, and reload to go back out again.

Ole Tjugen
28-Nov-2006, 08:47
When you have loaded film in the holders, mark the box clearly with how many sheets are left.

I once forgot whether I'd written how many I'd used or how many were left, and missed a shot that could have been nice. So now I always mark the box with how many sheets are left. This is especially important with 25-sheet boxes!

Keith Pitman
28-Nov-2006, 09:04
I'd get a changing tent like the Harrison rather than a bag. It's much easier to use, and less prone to getting dust in your holders--especially a problem in the Southwest. Keep the tent it in a large zip lock bag to keep dust off it. Clean your holders with canned air and/or a brush every time. J&C sells empty film boxes if you need more.

MIke Sherck
28-Nov-2006, 09:27
Film changing tents work better than bags, 'tis true. Both work; tents are just easier to work in. On the other hand, I have 30 holders and usually by the time I need to change film I also am in desperate need of a shower so I try to time things so that I'm in a hotel room when I need to reload holders. Then, I stuff a towel under the bathroom door and do my film changing there. Better than either a tent or a bag!

Mike

eddie
28-Nov-2006, 09:42
sounds like you got it. i used a changing bag. to make my travel a bit easier i mailed the camera and film holders ahead and picked them up when i arrived. i flew from NY to vegas and drove to the national parks. i sent my 4x5 and 8x10 and it made the whole airport thing very easy. i carried my film and had zero problems with a hand check. i had 35mm and 120 also.

have fun

eddie

Rory_5244
28-Nov-2006, 10:17
Great Photo.net folder, eddie!

Capocheny
28-Nov-2006, 16:59
I second the use of a changing bag unless you have absolutely no other alternatives. FWIW, I'd go first with a darkened bathroom (as Mike suggested). Run some hot water in the room to settle any dust. Then, let the room cool off a bit before you go in to load the holders.

If a darkened bathroom isn't possible, IMHO, a Harrison Changing Tent would be my preference to a changing bag.

Like everything else... "cleanliness is next to godliness!" So, store your holders in Glad bags (or something similar) especially in dusty environments!

Cheers

Ed Richards
29-Nov-2006, 07:57
You really do not want to change film out in the field if you can avoid it. You did not mention how you are traveling - if you have room, get some more holders so you can shoot all day. If you watch ebay or KEH you can get them fairly cheap. I have 40, and I have shot 30 in a day. Also consider getting a readyload holder and a box of readyload film as a back up. Then if you get through the 12 holders, you can still shoot, even at a little more per shot. You do not ever want to get to the position of rationing your film - trying to decide if a shot is worth it, or whether you should save a sheet for a better shot.

Frank Petronio
29-Nov-2006, 08:07
Once I got back into 4x5 I got 25 modern holders over time, for not much money. I just load up an entire 50 sheet box and go at it.

A small portable changing tent is a godsend. Like the holders, keep the tent super clean -- never let anything get dirty in the first place.

If I were a backpacker or staying outside for an extended period, I would only do Readyloads or Grafmatics.

Terry Hull
30-Nov-2006, 06:53
Thanks for your help. Does anyone know if ready loads will work with a bino viewer on an Arca Swiss Discovery?

Donald Miller
30-Nov-2006, 09:07
Unless you plan on developing each sheet of film exactly the same, I would recommend devising some way of determining what development each sheet should receive once the exposed film is unloaded.

I carry several empty boxes with the SBR of the exposure noted on the box. Some others keep a record of the exposure details and unload a single box in reverse order of the exposure.

If you use a changing bag, it helps to have an open and empty trash bag inside the changing back to keep down the potential for dust and lint.

DavidFisk
1-Dec-2006, 12:09
Unless you plan on developing each sheet of film exactly the same, I would recommend devising some way of determining what development each sheet should receive once the exposed film is unloaded.

I carry several empty boxes with the SBR of the exposure noted on the box. Some others keep a record of the exposure details and unload a single box in reverse order of the exposure.

If you use a changing bag, it helps to have an open and empty trash bag inside the changing back to keep down the potential for dust and lint.

Here's another aspect that may apply, especially if you fly a lot. Although the normal security scan won't harm film of ISO 160 after even a half dozen passes, you can lose track of this if you don't mark your film boxes, especially stuff that's a year or so old. Each trip when I come back with unexposed film, I mark the number of passes through security. Once it hits 6 or so, I shoot it the next outing or consider tossing.

Just something to consider.

dwhistance
8-Dec-2006, 14:20
Having just got back from a trip to the Southwest I would recommend using Readyload/Quickload holders if at all possible as you will find that the sand gets into everything!

David Whistance