PDA

View Full Version : I知 very new here!

Michal Makowski
28-Nov-2006, 07:37
My name is Michal and I知 on the beginning of my LF Route. After 8 years of SLR shooting I have sold my cameras and lenses. And now I知 a proud owner of Toyo AX Camera - thanks Glenn, one more time.
When I知 looking for LF forum I think that LF photography is American national sport or at least national hobby.
Here in Poland is very hard to be LF amateur shooter! For example 10 sheets of Velvia costs... are you sitting? ...58$ !!!! So you can imagine how painfully it is.
But after all I知 still on the right side of the barricade ;-). Greetings for all. Michal

Ron Marshall
28-Nov-2006, 08:21
Welcome Michal. With those prices for color film I hope you are shooting b/w, at least until you are accustomed to LF.

What lens are you starting with?

MIke Sherck
28-Nov-2006, 09:30
Welcome to the obsession, Michal! I'm often surprised at how much film, etc. costs in Europe compared to the US. While I seriously doubt that LF photography is anything more than a very small niche here in the US, the fact that it is relatively more affordable here than it is in Europe helps to encourage folks who want to try it even if they later decide that it isn't for them. Good luck!

Mike

darr
28-Nov-2006, 09:45
Welcome Michael; nice portrait!

Ted Harris
28-Nov-2006, 09:59
Michael, you might want to try ordering from Germany. Check the prices at www.nordfoto.de

roteague
28-Nov-2006, 10:36
Hi Michal, welcome from Hawaii. Don't listen to these guys, keep on shooting the Velvia!!

Michal Makowski
28-Nov-2006, 10:55
Hello everybody
I never shot b&w, I'm transparencies gay :D and I love it. I currently have only one lens (150mm) but I'm dreaming about 300 & 90 lenses.
Thank you for such warm welcome!

william linne
28-Nov-2006, 12:24
Hello everybody
I never shot b&w, I'm transparencies gay :D and I love it. I currently have only one lens (150mm) but I'm dreaming about 300 & 90 lenses.

Err.....

snuck
28-Nov-2006, 12:44
Welcome to the forum, it just keeps on growing by leaps and bounds. I like transparencies too... although I do find them expensive!

steve simmons
28-Nov-2006, 12:56
You can check the archives hee for past postshat will be helpful to yu. There are also several articles on the View Camera site in the Free Articles section that might be helpful to you. Welcome.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

Jerzy Pawlowski
28-Nov-2006, 15:49
Hi Michal,
Welcome, what is wrong if you get supplies from USA. I am getting almost everything from my dear neighbors, trick is to beat shipping prices by buying in large quantities.
Did you get William remark, gay - to jest pederasta, guy - to jest facet; I think the latter was on your mind.

Capocheny
28-Nov-2006, 17:02
Welcome to the group Michal... it's a great place to hang your hat for awhile!

Here, you'll be entertained with all sorts of pomp and ceremony... and just good ole information too! :)

Cheers

Michael Wynd
28-Nov-2006, 17:34
Hi Michal,
enjoy your camera and be glad you don't live in Australia. Velvia costs $75 per 10 sheet box. Welcome.
Mike

roteague
28-Nov-2006, 18:23
Hi Michal,
enjoy your camera and be glad you don't live in Australia. Velvia costs $75 per 10 sheet box. Welcome.
Mike

I think you answered my question why many Australian landscape photographers shoot 6x17 as opposed to 5x4 - it's too expensive. :eek:

Michael Wynd
28-Nov-2006, 21:19
Robert,
that's why I order my film from America now.
Mike

Eric James
28-Nov-2006, 21:40
I'm transparencies gay :D and I love it.

Many here are "Bi" - i.e. they shoot BW and color. Your portrait looks very familiar but we don't travel in the same circles so I think the likeness is a coincidence.

LF is not a national sport here - we are fast-food eaters, but I appreciate your high opinion.

That's a nice three-lens spacing you aspire to - which one will be next, the 90mm or 300mm?

Welcome to the "sport" and the forum:) I wish I could send you some cheap film!

John Curran
28-Nov-2006, 22:50
Hello everybody

I love 4x5 trannies too, however after 8 years of shooting 35mm velvia I find the freedom and increased latitude of b&w liberating and just plain fun.

John

Craig Griffiths
28-Nov-2006, 23:16
Welcome.

And as has been said, Velvia is $75 a box of 10 here. And it is the reason why I import it. With my savings for the year I might even be able to buy a new lens or two. Black and White has its attractions though, but even then it is just under $60 for a box of 25 sheets of Delta 100. Importing is the best option, and I have had no problems at all importing from the US

Michal Makowski
29-Nov-2006, 03:41
I wonder what my wife will say when she will see my statement that I'm a transparencies gay?! ;)

Michal Makowski
29-Nov-2006, 03:44
I wonder what my wife will say when she will see my statement that I'm a transparencies gay?! ;) English language is full of traps:)

Jerzy Pawlowski
29-Nov-2006, 08:34
Do not worry, you are doing great. I remember my report regarding steel pipes where I wanted to "steal pipes" and few times "sheet" and "shit" got me in to some kind of trouble. In case you will have any question that may appear too sexy you can always PM me in Polish.
Karkonosze is a nice place to shoot landscape. I used to ski in Szklarska Poreba.

william linne
29-Nov-2006, 08:55
English language is full of traps:)

Aww, I've been speaking it my whole life and I'm still having problems with the English language, especially when speaking to my wife about my large format habit. Welcome, Michal!

William

Michal Makowski
29-Nov-2006, 09:18
especially when speaking to my wife about my large format habit.
I know that feeling as well. When I made my first enlargement from LF I undersigned the picture: For my beloved wife...
And next few months were very peaceful:rolleyes:

Dvenosa
30-Nov-2006, 05:10
Hey Michal,

I think you have almost the same gear than me( toyo 45a(x) + Schneider Symmar S( or apo) 150mm ?

I live In Brazil and here...We don't have 4x5 velvia...Provia costs 65 dollars for 10 sheets and we DONT HAVE BW!!!

cheers,

Daniel

Michal Makowski
2-Dec-2006, 03:56
Hi Daniel,
Yes, I'm using Toyo AX and Schneider 150 mm APO and I' m very happy with this set.

Pete Watkins
3-Dec-2006, 04:49
Have you considered using a roll film back while you are practising the cameras movements and generally getting used to it. L.F. is a big step from 35mm of M.F.
best wishes,
Pete.

Michal Makowski
3-Dec-2006, 12:47
Hi Pete,

I have 6x9 horeseman back and I'm using it a lot, it is much cheaper to waist 120 film than 4x5;).
I also practised with my friend痴 Technika before I bought my own camera. My friend is teacher in one of the best photography schools in Poland, he teach basics of LF Photography and Introduction to Zone System, you can see his photographs in the net, search for: Michal Jelinski. He is always trying to convince me to B&W, but in this field I知 very difficult student.

http://www.galeriabezdomna.art.pl/pl/index.php?idz=zaproszenia&nr_zaproszenia=947

Jerzy Pawlowski
4-Dec-2006, 10:55
I hope you do not waste any film, including 120.
Nice link. If you know any polish LF galleries or LF photographers sites based in Poland please provide. I haven't found anything specific for LF, although there are some very good www galleries for smaller formats.