PDA

View Full Version : 210mm question

stompyq
27-Nov-2006, 18:03
I have a kind of crazy question. I have a 210mm f/6.3 computar symmetrigon. I really like the lens but it's kind of big. The weight is ok but it takes a substantial amount of space in my bag. I've noticed that about 80% of my shots are from this lens and have been thinking of replacing it with a nikkon 200mm M lens. Will i gain any thing from this? I am shooting a 4x5 wista and exclusivly velvia. Thanks in advance.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Nov-2006, 18:19
Nikkor M series are great lenses based on Tessar design I believe. Sharp. Only thing you will gain is more compact and a little more angle of view...I believe the maximum aperture is f/8.

stompyq
27-Nov-2006, 18:21
Thanks andrew. I am not all that worried about the f/8 over 6.3. What about sharpness and colors etc? do you think i'll gain much? It's going to be twice as much as the computar so I am still wondering

Steve Hamley
27-Nov-2006, 19:14
Trying to tell one reasonably modern lens from another is difficult and I wouldn't bet the bank on it. The Nikkor is multicoated versus single coated, and because it is a 4/3 tessar design, has two less air/glass interfaces than the plasmat (reportedly) symmetrigon at 6/4. You might be able to tell the contrast and saturation would be bit higher with the Nikkor, which usually gives an impression of greater sharpness.

If you think the Nikkor is worth it for the bulk and weight, go for it and anything else is a bonus. I do have a Nikkor 200M and it is a very nice piece of glass and you won't be sorry.

Steve

Andrew O'Neill
27-Nov-2006, 19:50
The Nikkor will have more contrast. I have found all my Nikkors to be contrastier than a couple of Schneider lenses I used to have. I am only basing this on what I have seen with my lenses...not fact.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Nov-2006, 19:52
...as far as it handles colour, I have no idea. I have never shot a colour sheet of film in my life. I'm sure it performs just as well as your Computar in this regard.

Dave_B
27-Nov-2006, 21:23
The Nikkor 200M is a fine lens. It is small and light and produces sharp images with nice contrast. The IC is 210mm which is enough for reasonable movements in 4x5. I recommend it highly.
Dave B.

Christopher Perez
27-Nov-2006, 21:28
The 200M is really small and light. Very sharp and contrasty to. Though I doubt you'll see a noticable improvement in image quality over what you already own. So it probably comes down to how much small/light is worth to you.

If you wanted something "in between" in terms of size and weight, how about looking for a Schneider Xenar f/6.1 210mm? These are very sharp from wide open. Nice and contrasty too, even though they are only single coated.

Capocheny
28-Nov-2006, 00:47
The Nikkor lenses are pretty terrific... sharp and very contrasty. I use the 150 and 240 versions.

Out of curiosity... how did you decide on the 200 instead of some of the others that are readily available?

For example, the Apo-Sironar-N has an image circle of 310 and is an f5.6 instead of f8. And, they both go down to f64.

Or, as Chris has suggested... the Xenar has an image circle of 249 and is an f6.1. This lens goes down to f45 instead of 64.

Cheers

John Kasaian
28-Nov-2006, 01:03
FWIW, I've never met a Nikkor M that I didn't like, but another option you might consider is the 203mm f/7.7 Ektar. They're single coated but if small and lightwieght with lots of coveage on a 4x5 is what you want, then its worth considering. IMHO you can expect them to perform kind of like a baby 19" Artar.

Cheers!

Steve Hamley
28-Nov-2006, 05:43
Just a note on IC: I put the Nikkor 200M and a Fuji 180A on a 8x10, and the Nikkor "wins" by a smidge. I shot two 8x10 color transparencies and examined them on a light box with a loupe. Totally unexpected comparing a tessar to a plasmat. The 180A clipped the corners (about 1/2") while the Nikkor did not, and overall the Nikkor had much more even illumination. My overall impression is that both were good for 5x7 with little or no movements depending on how fussy you are with corners - which is exactly what Nikon says for the 200M. But the little 200M will illuminate an entire 8x10 GG fairly evenly.

Steve

stompyq
28-Nov-2006, 07:05
The Nikkor lenses are pretty terrific... sharp and very contrasty. I use the 150 and 240 versions.

Out of curiosity... how did you decide on the 200 instead of some of the others that are readily available?

For example, the Apo-Sironar-N has an image circle of 310 and is an f5.6 instead of f8. And, they both go down to f64.

Or, as Chris has suggested... the Xenar has an image circle of 249 and is an f6.1. This lens goes down to f45 instead of 64.

Cheers

Thanks for all the comments everybody. Actually coverage is not too much of an issue for me. Light weight is. I am a hybrid sort of photographer so i carry a fairly extensive digital kit with me. I shoot LF when i want to get the ultimate quality and movements etc. my kit right now consists of a 90mm SA f/8 (not small i agree) a tiny Docter germinar 150mm and the 210mm. Since as i said i shoot a lot with the 210mm i was wondering if i could permenantly attach it to fold my wista to save space. I don't want to sacrifice on quality and since i shoot velvia most of the time i've been looking for a reletivly modern MC optic.

Regarding movements i haven't run out of coverage with the computar and would really doubt wether i ever will, so any more coverage will really be just added bulk and expense. My 90mm is another thing however. I regularly run out of room with that one.

Christopher Perez
28-Nov-2006, 09:48
A Nikkor 200M probably fits in your folded up Wista.

Also, the aforementioned 203 f/7.7 Kodak Ektar probably fits in your folded up Wista. Even though this lens is single coated, it's contrast and resolution can't be denied. I test shot a 203mm against a Symmar-S/MC and could literally see no difference between them. These are cheap enough to try the concept out - to check their color rendition and to verify claims such as these - I think you can find really nice examples of the Kodak lens in properly working shutter for around $175USD.

Food for thought. Thought from food.

... Since as i said i shoot a lot with the 210mm i was wondering if i could permenantly attach it to fold my wista to save space. I don't want to sacrifice on quality and since i shoot velvia most of the time i've been looking for a reletivly modern MC optic...

stompyq
28-Nov-2006, 11:37
Thanks chris. I'll look in to the Kodak lens.