PDA

View Full Version : Linhof

sdlarry
26-Nov-2006, 20:08
I am looking for an adapter that fits on a cable release that will fit in a Linhof Super Technika V.

David A. Goldfarb
26-Nov-2006, 21:15
You mean for the quick release? You can get them from Marflex. Check the HPmarketing website (I forget the exact address, but google "hpmarketing" and "linhof," and you should turn it up) for the current phone number.

robc
26-Nov-2006, 22:23
IMO you are better off without the quick release fittings. If the shutter rotates a tiny fraction in its mount the cable release won't work reliably. I took mine off and taped over the fitting holes in the lens boards. Much happier with the setup now. The only exception would be where you have recessed lens board and a quick release fitting could make life easier but again, a cable release with a 90 deg bend at the end which is permanently fitted to lens would be more reliable.

Frank Petronio
26-Nov-2006, 22:38
Gepe makes a perfect little 3 inch long flexible cable release adapter that screws into the normal socket on a shutter -- this works very nicely with recessed lensboards and even with lenses on flat boards. Use a little Loctite to really secure it. It is head and shoulders better than all those angled metal cable release adapters, and it works with everything, not just one type of board/shutter set-up.

I'm sure the Linhof quick release is a thing of joy when it is properly set-up and the plastic housing isn't brittle from being 40 years old. I notice the newer ones are made from metal. But unless I was getting a new super swanky $8K Linhof and wanted everything to be factory spec, I wouldn't bother with it.

robc
27-Nov-2006, 00:35
do you know where you can get one of these gepe mini cable releases from cos I can't find a UK supplier who lists them.Art Prints (http://www.visualperception.net/)

Ole Tjugen
27-Nov-2006, 00:48
I've used 1930's cloth covered cable releases - they have a shorter ferrule than the newer ones, and can fit into all kinds of tight corners.

Frank Petronio
27-Nov-2006, 06:28
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=233735&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Badger, Mpex.com, other US places have them - $18 to $23 or so.

Germany must have them, they are made there...

robc
27-Nov-2006, 06:33
you would think the gepe website would list it since its their product, but all they list are slide mounts.

Bob Salomon
27-Nov-2006, 07:30
you would think the gepe website would list it since its their product, but all they list are slide mounts.

This is a product that Gepe only sells in the USA.

On the Gepe site are mounts, mounting accessories and reels and chests as well as Gepe Card Safes and Card Store products.

Gepe cable releases are sold by most camera stores in the USA.

Emil Ems
27-Nov-2006, 09:36
Bob is right! The European Gepe sight does not list this highly useful gadget and there is no distributor for it in Europe. About a year ago I sent an e-mail to Robert White in the UK, suggesting he investigate the selling of this gadget. He promised to look into it but I have not heard from him since. Strange!!! This is such a useful little thing.

sdlarry
2-Dec-2006, 16:40
robc, That is interesting, and probably what I'll do. I ordered one of the quick release nipples from Marflex in NC...told him what camera I had, and he sent the part...only trouble is that it does not fit. So I'm about done with the quick release POS. Naturally Marflex is out of town for a week.

How difficult is it to remove the contraption? I don't mind screwing in a cable, in fact I would prefer it.

robc
3-Dec-2006, 03:58
The quick release fitting attaches to the lens board which needs to be drilled with two holes in the correct position. You need to use a Linhof cable release to get the correct connection the QR. I think the QR fitting should come complete with everything to connect to lens.

But again, I wouldn't bother with QR. To remove the QR fitting from the board, there are a couple of little screws on the other side whic need to be removed. Then Tape over the holes.

Bob Salomon
3-Dec-2006, 06:41
The Nipple from Linhof works best with the Linhof Cable Releases. Other brands have a different shaped taper.

naturephoto1
3-Dec-2006, 09:18
The Nipple from Linhof works best with the Linhof Cable Releases. Other brands have a different shaped taper.

I can confirm Bob's comment here. I have one of the Linhof Recessed boards for my Technikardan 45S (previously for my Technika IV). I have tried the nipple on my 2 Linhof cable releases and other cables. No question, it fits the Linhof cable releases much much better. Once on though the nipple and cable slips right into the location for the cable release. It is fast, sure, and works quite well.

Rich

adrian tyler
3-Dec-2006, 10:00
i get them sent by a friend in nyc, i've even got them on my longer lenses, great wee invention.

dwhistance
4-Dec-2006, 15:44
RobC

I think Linhof and Studio has the flexible quick release fittings here in the UK.