PDA

View Full Version : How to delete/change metadata tags?

Antonio Corcuera
23-Nov-2006, 12:06
Hello all,
Whilst preparing some files for delivery, I noticed Win XP attaches metadata to my scanned images (when rolling over, apart from date, size and file type it also displays Camera model: Perfection4990). I find it very annoying for another party to know the camera or scanner I use, is there a way to delete, conceal or change the dreaded "camera" tag? Thanks!

robc
23-Nov-2006, 13:14
You can edit some metadata in Photoshop under File/File Info

or you can goto http://www.tucows.com/ and do a search on EXIF and IPTC

that will provide you with a list of utilities for editing image metadata. I have no idea if any of them are any good since I haven't used any of them.

Antonio Corcuera
23-Nov-2006, 14:08
Thanks Rob. Photoshop doesn't let you edit the "camera" tag. I also went to Tucows and downloaded a program called Exifer, designed to edit EXIF metadata. Alas, it doesn't support TIFF or PSD files.

mdd99
26-Nov-2006, 17:39
Select all
Copy
File>>New
Paste
Flatten

i.e., copy photo into new file, flatten and save.

Mike

robc
26-Nov-2006, 20:14
you could use the following but you need to have the relevant know how to do it.
i.e. PHP running locally or on your isp and the ability to edit the code to make it write to the files you want it to write to. Then you can run it in batch mode on a directory of files and do them all in one go.

http://www.ozhiker.com/electronics/pjmt/

Antonio Corcuera
27-Nov-2006, 03:51
Mike, thanks for the tip, but I was trying to avoid the hassle of copying, pasting and renaming files one by one - I'm looking for something more automated.
Rob, the toolkit looks great, too complex for me but it seems to include some sort of "plug-in" that enables metadata editing directly from the "file info" tab in Photoshop. I'll try it out.
Thanks!

robc
27-Nov-2006, 15:06
If the photoshop select all and paste to new file does what is required, then you can create an action to do it and then run the action as a batch operation on a folder.

stefano valentino
16-Jan-2007, 06:49
Hi,

I am the newest member. Probably the less competent one. I need to delete or change some data in the "shooting information" panel of a photo file properties. I would be grateful if you could explain me how to do it.
Mike explained a way: copy, flatten, paste. But I don't understand it very well.

Regards

Stefano Valentino

Hello all,
Whilst preparing some files for delivery, I noticed Win XP attaches metadata to my scanned images (when rolling over, apart from date, size and file type it also displays Camera model: Perfection4990). I find it very annoying for another party to know the camera or scanner I use, is there a way to delete, conceal or change the dreaded "camera" tag? Thanks!

Select all
Copy
File>>New
Paste
Flatten

i.e., copy photo into new file, flatten and save.

Mike

stefano valentino
17-Jan-2007, 11:28
Hi,

I am the newest member. Probably the less competent one. I need to delete or change some data in the "shooting information" panel of a photo file properties. I would be grateful if you could explain me how to do it.
You explained a way: copy, flatten, paste. But I don't understand it very well.

Regards

Stefano Valentino