PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver photographers print exchange problems

Deniz Merdanogullari
20-Nov-2006, 11:42
As you may or may not know vancouver has been hit by heavy rain in the last couple of weeks causing the tap water supply to be contaminated by debris and bacteria. due to this reason my darkroom has been shut down till next notice. You would think one of the most prestigeous art school of north america would fix this problem but no, not yet.

I will do my best to finish the prints in time but i can not make any promises.
just wanted to publicly let you guys know so if i can't make the deadline i wont be hated.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you

Deniz

Dominique Labrosse
20-Nov-2006, 11:48
Deniz,

Why not hit up Andrew? His house is working off the Coquitlam reservoir which is alot cleaner than the Seymour and Capilano reservoirs?

Deniz Merdanogullari
20-Nov-2006, 12:27
Well i wouldn't want to bother a busy photographer at his darkroom.

snuck
20-Nov-2006, 13:38
Party at Andrew's Darkroom!!! AHAHAHAHAHA ok just kidding. Sounds like you vancouverites are really hard hit. Here's a Torontonian saying that... we're with you... somehow.

Capocheny
20-Nov-2006, 14:37
Deniz,

They're expecting the advisory to be lifted in the next few days... and I understand from the reports that the water supply isn't contaminated with anything that has caused any illnesses. It's just that the storms have stirred things up in the reservor such that the turbidity levels have increased.

And, since you have until the end of January.... NO excuses!!! :)

[See you on Wednesday at the Group of Six meeting! :)]

Cheers

Dominique Labrosse
20-Nov-2006, 15:01
Deniz,

It's just that the storms have stirred things up in the reservor such that the turbidity levels have increased.

Henry,

turbidity = dirt

I'm with Deniz. It can't be helpful to be washing film or prints in water with 3 to 4 times normal dirt levels.

I wonder what the Vancouver area commercial labs are doing right now?

Capocheny
20-Nov-2006, 15:39
Henry,

turbidity = dirt

I'm with Deniz. It can't be helpful to be washing film or prints in water with 3 to 4 times normal dirt levels.

I wonder what the Vancouver area commercial labs are doing right now?

Hi Dominique,

I don't disagree with you... washing film/prints in dirty water wouldn't be the best for either! :)

But, I think things will settle back down to normal in the next short while. The turbidity will gradually reduce and we'll have clean water again. Hopefully! :)

[Caveate: Only if we don't have the same sorts of weather patterns we had last week! :)]

I would think the commercial labs would have their own water filtration systems. Back when I worked at a newspaper lab... we had quite an intricate filtration system and the filters were changed fairly frequently. So, I would imagine (or hope) that most labs would have the same. Hard to say though!

Haven't yattered with you since the workshop... hope things are going well for you. KIT! :)

Cheers

Andrew O'Neill
20-Nov-2006, 16:43
You're not getting out of this one so easily, Deniz! As Henry says, the water will be good to go soon. Buy a few jugs of distilled water if it doesn't clear up. Use the soaking method to wash your prints. It's just as effective as using running water and not as wasteful.

Dominique Labrosse
20-Nov-2006, 19:56
Jeeez Andrew, and I thought we'd be having a party in your darkroom. :-)

Regards,
Dominique

Andrew O'Neill
20-Nov-2006, 20:52
Okay! Lets party!! It's small but cozy...How's it going Dominique? Haven't heard from you since the workshop? Been out taking any photos?

Deniz Merdanogullari
20-Nov-2006, 22:23
Well the darkroom was open today but the water is still murky. I hope things turn back to normal soon. Today i was sitting around fixing all the polaroid 545s in school and they offered me a job as the lab monitor. Fantastic offer indeed!!!! I get payed to hang out at the darkrooms and monitor them and whatnot.
I will get the prints done in time, dont you worry.

See you fellows on Wednesday!!! Bring some recent prints along!!!

Andrew O'Neill
20-Nov-2006, 22:30
Hey Deniz,

Sorry I couldn't make the student art show at Emily Carr. I ended up being too damn busy. See you on Wednesday.

Capocheny
20-Nov-2006, 23:41
I will get the prints done in time, dont you worry.

Hi Deniz,

That's the spirit! :)

Cheers

Dominique Labrosse
21-Nov-2006, 12:45
Okay! Lets party!! It's small but cozy...How's it going Dominique? Haven't heard from you since the workshop? Been out taking any photos?

Unfortunately no LF pictures since the workshop. With my wife in rehearsals for an upcoming play and us both working full time it's been hard for me to ditch the Dad duties and get out of the house with my gear.

Though if you guys are going out shooting sometime please let me know and I'll try to negociate some time away.

Are you guys getting together on Wednesday?

Deniz Merdanogullari
21-Nov-2006, 15:02
Dom, Wednesday 5:30 pm at white spot on cambie and 13th.
we will be working on saving the world plans.

Capocheny
21-Nov-2006, 20:31
we will be working on saving the world plans.

Deniz,

I thought we resolved that issue at the last meeting!!! :)

Cheers

Dominique Labrosse
22-Nov-2006, 00:32
5:30 will be tough for me to make. Keep me in mind I would definately like to stay in touch with you folk.

Regards,
DL

SAShruby
22-Nov-2006, 06:43
Just of topic, but because all of you here are from Vancouver, I will join you January 2. With me comes: Deardorff 8x10, 8x20, full equipped darkroom. The only problem I have I need to find good rent in Vancouver.

Please, if you can help me to find some reasonable renting place in a quiet area (with easy access to DT (like studio ot 1Br 700-800 bucks, no basement, dog allowed) I will invitwe you for Pizza and couple beer as my thank you for helping me out.

Andrew O'Neill
22-Nov-2006, 08:45
I'm from Coquitlam...rent in the lower mainland is crazy. For 700-800 you may be able to rent a room in a house. Deniz has more experience in apartment hunting...

SAShruby
22-Nov-2006, 09:44
Hi Andy,

I know, I am looking at the Craiglist as well, but I also searched some chat forums and they strongly advise to go around on the street and ask directly. You can get better price that what is advertised. I believe advertised rentals are in majority problematic landlords. BTW, it worked very well for me in the past when I moved from Calgary to Toronto.

I would appreciate if anybody could tell me which areas are good to look and have easy access to transportation as well. It does not need to be on the shore or in DT. I preffer east side because it is closer to mountains, where I intent to spend my free time.

Also, I would like to join BC club if you have any. If you could tell me where you guys meet and when, that would be great.

Andrew O'Neill
22-Nov-2006, 09:51
East Vancouver would be your best bet then. Last year my cousin found a room in an old house for $400 a month. The room was in a basement.

I belong to a small group. Capocheny and Deniz are in it. You are quite welcome to join us. We are meeting today.

Why are you moving out here?

SAShruby
22-Nov-2006, 10:02
Hi Andy,
several reasons, but major two are: I love mountains, I grew up skiing competitively and I've got an excellent job.

Can you please pinpoint for me some good areas?
Thanks.

Deniz Merdanogullari
22-Nov-2006, 11:31
just sent you a PM Peter...

Capocheny
22-Nov-2006, 23:13
Hi Peter,

Looking forward to meeting you...

Be prepared to the LOVE rain as well as the mountains and skiing. You'll certainly get your share! :)

Any ideas as to what your "rent" budget is? That'll give us an idea as to the locale where you should be looking.

Cheers

SAShruby
23-Nov-2006, 08:08
Hi C,

Sure, I am looking for a 1Br or Studio, above ground, pets allowed (I have a dog), in a safe location, with easy access to DT, 700-850 utilities included. I can afford even bigger rent, but I have house right now and I still need to feed mortgage until I sell it.

Peter.

Capocheny
23-Nov-2006, 21:54
Hi C,

Sure, I am looking for a 1Br or Studio, above ground, pets allowed (I have a dog), in a safe location, with easy access to DT, 700-850 utilities included. I can afford even bigger rent, but I have house right now and I still need to feed mortgage until I sell it.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I'll keep my eye open for a nice place... the dog may be your big challenge though. I can still remember moving out to Vancouver from Calgary and wanted to bring our dog, an English Bull Terrier. You'd almost think we wanted to move an elephant in! We finally had to leave the dog with friends in Calgary...

But, perhaps, things have changed...

Cheers

SAShruby
27-Nov-2006, 08:20
Thanks again,

I am sorry I couldn't respond earlier but I am so busy these days. I know dog would be a problem. But I cannot be without her. I just finished her this weekend at Caledon Show - she is a new Canadian Champion. I'll post picture of her tomorrow.

I have a family in Calgary as well, the worst case scenarion would be to leave her with them until I find something in Vancouver.

Thank again for all your help.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Nov-2006, 18:01
Congrats on the national title!