PDA

View Full Version : Wista Metal Field question

AnselAdamsX
19-Nov-2006, 07:26
I just bought a used Wista SP metal field camera. It has a metal spring loaded tab that you have to push against when you insert a film holder. It's meant for the auto apeture on the special wista shutter. The problem I'm having is that it is strong enough to partially force the film holder out. Is there something that is supposed to counter that when you don't have the special shutter?

Thanks
Chris

Marc
19-Nov-2006, 08:29
Chris,

The problem I'm having is that it is strong enough to partially force the film holder out. Is there something that is supposed to counter that when you don't have the special shutter?
On my SP, this isn't a problem. On the fidelity and other holders (Graflex, etc..) there is a "ridge" at the top of the film holder which snaps under a small edge at the top of the back and holds the film holder fully in place. Are you certain that the film holder is fully inserted? It should "snap" into place quite easily.....
Try with the gg holder removed and slide the film holder in and you should see what I'm talking about.

Marc

Frank Petronio
19-Nov-2006, 08:38
I always thought the SP had the nicest back action of any 4x5 I've owned - very solid and smooth, and not so tight as to jar the camera.

AnselAdamsX
20-Nov-2006, 14:19
It does work fine. The problem was I had to replace the foam in the place where the holder ridge snaps into. I just needed to cut off the excess foam. It works great now.

Thanks
Chris