PDA

View Full Version : tmax rs developer

false_Aesthetic
18-Nov-2006, 17:49
Hey,

I just ran some hp5 (and then some plus-x rolls) through tmax rs dev. Everything came out soooooooooper underdeveloped. (The stuff I exposed 3 stops over was still under developed).

Kodak's tech pub says that plus-x should be developed for 4.25min @ 68 degrees
Ilford says hp5 for 6.5min.

So I think maybe these times were suggested for the stock solution (1:4 ratio) Which is all fine and dandy except that I'm gonna run out of dev. quickly.

How do I calculate the times for the 1:9 I "hear" people talking about? Do I just double the time?

Thanks

T

Michael Heald
18-Nov-2006, 19:09
Hello! I´m not sure about HP5. At 5 degrees and 1 to 9, TMax 400 takes about 8 minutes for normal development. At 1 to 7 and 68 degrees, its about 7min 30 sec. Best regards.

Mike

Marc
19-Nov-2006, 08:21
Jut to be sure:
You do know that TMax RS is the Replenisher, and not the developer....

I hope that doesn't sound patronising...;)

Marc

Arne Croell
19-Nov-2006, 08:59
Jut to be sure:
You do know that TMax RS is the Replenisher, and not the developer....

I hope that doesn't sound patronising...;)

Marc

Not exactly: TMax RS is both the developer and also its own replenisher. It is not the replenisher for TMax Developer! See:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/chemistry/bwFilmProcessing/tMaxRS.jhtml
and
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j86/j86.jhtml?id=0.2.20.14.18.14.7.16.14&lc=en

Marc
19-Nov-2006, 09:04
Not exactly: TMax RS is both the developer and also its own replenisher. It is not the replenisher for TMax Developer!
Bu****! :eek: There I go again... Sorry, My bad.

Marc

Michael Heald
19-Nov-2006, 09:10
Hello! How are you diluting the developer? If you follow the directions, it comes to 1:3. Best regards.

Mike

false_Aesthetic
19-Nov-2006, 11:16
I mixed the thick stuff (big bottle + small bottle) with H2O to make 1 gallon (this is what the directions said . . . ha! they were in spanish)

Then diluted that 1:4 (as was suggested by dudes in another forum) to make a 1:9 working solution.

Thanks

T

p.s. Yeah Tmax RS dev is suggested for the tmax sheet film. . . Thought I'd give it a try on other films too.

Arne Croell
19-Nov-2006, 11:50
I mixed the thick stuff (big bottle + small bottle) with H2O to make 1 gallon (this is what the directions said . . . ha! they were in spanish)

Then diluted that 1:4 (as was suggested by dudes in another forum) to make a 1:9 working solution.

Thanks

T

p.s. Yeah Tmax RS dev is suggested for the tmax sheet film. . . Thought I'd give it a try on other films too.

I think the concentrate bottle for making 1 gallon contains about a quart, so making the stock solution would be 1:3 as indicated by Michael. Now if you dilute all of that 1:4 you end up with 5 gallons. 1 quart in five gallons is 1:19, not 1:9...! So you're about a factor of 2 too dilute.
I usually pour the small package into the concentrate, shake well, and then make the 1: 9 directly from the concentrate.

false_Aesthetic
19-Nov-2006, 13:14
Hmm

Maybe I misread it all. I should've done what you do and use just dillute the thick stuff 1:9

Doh!

Arne Croell
19-Nov-2006, 14:02
I think the concentrate bottle for making 1 gallon contains about a quart, so making the stock solution would be 1:3 as indicated by Michael. Now if you dilute all of that 1:4 you end up with 5 gallons. 1 quart in five gallons is 1:19, not 1:9...! So you're about a factor of 2 too dilute.
I usually pour the small package into the concentrate, shake well, and then make the 1: 9 directly from the concentrate.
I just checked, the concentrate for one gallon is actually less than a quart, its 772ml, resulting in 1+4 for the 1 gallon of stock solution, making it even worse.

I learned the 1:9 from concentrate method from John Sexton at a workshop in 1993 or so and have used it ever since with no problems.
Arne

joseph therrien
20-Nov-2006, 12:24
I use this stuff quite successfully. It is optimized for processing at 75f or 23.9C

toyoman
26-Nov-2006, 15:53
I have used T-Max RS for quite a while now and is most appropriate for sheet film, but you mentioned roll film and I would go the route of using the regular T-Max developer at 1:4 with temps around 75 (72 is ok) with a 6.5-7.0 minute development time. Agitate every 30 seconds, and would be the traditional five time gentle inversion, no excessive shaking. A resting time between agitation seems to be needed for this developer. Higher dilutions would require longer times than 8 minutes, at least for me it did and didn't seem to have any benifits for contrast control. HP-5 ISO at around 200-250, though I would stay with the Kodak films, T-Max 400, at 320-400, and T-Max 100 at 80-125. Use a water-bath instead of a stop solution in the middle of the process, and extend the time with the water-bath to a minute with the agitation at the 30 second mark. Then rinse and fix the film in a regular fashion.

Michael Heald
26-Nov-2006, 16:26
Hello! With continuous agitation using a roller ad print drum, at dilutions of 1:3, 1:7, and 1:9 of TMax RS, for 4x5 TMax 400, I've gotten an EI of 500. I tested 1:3 myself at home, and used BTZS for 1:7 anbd 1:9 tests. Best regards.

Mike

neil poulsen
26-Nov-2006, 19:13
I don't know if RS is the same as the original TMax developer, but the original is doesn't have a very long shelf life? Was your developer new, when you used it?

scrichton
27-Nov-2006, 03:57
As far as I know I always use it at 1:4 with a temperature of either 20 deg C for hand agitation or 24 deg C for in the Jobo (depends on overall lazyness of setup time)

I have found it at this dilution 100% reliable on all the emulsions I have thrown at it .. although it's a wee bitty too fast for PanF.

tribby
29-Nov-2006, 14:51
i made the same dilution mistake when i went from powder to liquid devs. 1:9 from the little bottle is a good way to use RS.

fyi, DDX is the same...

tribby