PDA

View Full Version : Another eBay deadbeat?

TLGG1
18-Nov-2006, 13:32
Am letting others know of a Rick Bassington, 1443 Swansea Ct., Naperville, Il 60565, with a phone of 630.355.9492.

Bought an adapter back for an 8x10 Deardorff from this joker in January. Still have not received it. Have called a number of times as well as sent confirming info showing postal MO and eBay info to him.

Still NO back and no response.

Supposedly he does a lot of Deardorff stuff on eBay. If anyone does anything with him or is tempted to you might be better off passing if this is the way he does business.

Yes, the paperwork is now with the Postal Inspectors. I will let them visit if they will and see what happens.

Caroline Matthews
18-Nov-2006, 14:09
Maybe he's dead.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
18-Nov-2006, 14:44
It would be a lot more helpful if you were to just give us his ebay "tag", rather than all of his information.

For what it is worth, a few years ago I purchased a lens off ebay which never showed up. I left negative feedback, got most of my money back, and forgot about it. A year and a half later I was contacted by the seller's daughter; apparently the seller had been killed in a car accident on the way to the post-office, to mail my lens...

brook
18-Nov-2006, 15:27
I know Rick does a lot of swap shows, he could be on the road.

Caroline Matthews
18-Nov-2006, 15:59
[QUOTE=J. . . apparently the seller had been killed in a car accident on the way to the post-office, to mail my lens...[/QUOTE]

See.

Colin Graham
18-Nov-2006, 17:15
So, if you get screwed by someone you're just supposed to assume they're dead until you hear otherwise? Hmmm.

TLGG1
18-Nov-2006, 17:33
Per his mommy on the phone he is alive and kicking. Just sleeping whenever I call and she won't wake him up.

Charles Carstensen
18-Nov-2006, 19:30
TLGGI, You should think twice or thrice before bad mouthing someone, complete with his address and phone number, on this or any internet forum. You may find yourself in a heap of trouble someday if you continue along this rather immature path. Besides, who cares? It is your problem with one individual.

jshanesy
18-Nov-2006, 20:46
TLGGI, You should think twice or thrice before bad mouthing someone, complete with his address and phone number, on this or any internet forum. You may find yourself in a heap of trouble someday if you continue along this rather immature path. Besides, who cares? It is your problem with one individual.

It looks to me like he's just relating the facts of the matter. And for what it's worth, I care. Pointing out troublesome deals with regular lf sellers is a service to the lf community. Thanks to TLGG1.

Robert A. Zeichner
19-Nov-2006, 07:13
I've known Rick for a number of years and have bought several items from him including my Durst 138, which I actually drove to his home to pick up. He's not a bad guy, just a bit forgetful at times, but honest (at least he has been with me). He usually shows up at the Detroit Histrorical Camera show which was a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't there this year. I know he spends the winter down south ( I think it might be for health reasons) and that it's hard to get a hold of him until spring, so maybe that's where he is now. It sometimes takes awhile to hear back from him, but you will, eventually. His clock runs on Bohemian time which can be frustrating, but he is a character I've enjoyed dealing with, so I just accept that.

wfwhitaker
19-Nov-2006, 08:31
I've done some business with Rick in the past, although none lately. My experience echoes Robert's above. Rick can be a bit eccentric, but I've never had any reason to view him as malicious. Although January's a long time back, I still doubt that he's trying to screw you. Again, there may be extenuating circumstances. I would encourage you to continue to try to establish communications.

jshanesy
19-Nov-2006, 19:09
I've done some business with Rick in the past, although none lately. My experience echoes Robert's above. Rick can be a bit eccentric, but I've never had any reason to view him as malicious. Although January's a long time back, I still doubt that he's trying to screw you. Again, there may be extenuating circumstances. I would encourage you to continue to try to establish communications.

If Will says he's ok then I guess I would bid on any item I wanted that he was selling. A thread like this can be a means to affirm as well as warn.

Brian Ellis
19-Nov-2006, 23:50
I wouldn't bid on anything from a seller that took my money last January and who still hasn't sent the item I paid for. I can understand a little eccentricity, a little absent-mindedness, etc. etc. as justification for a delay in shipment of a couple weeks, maybe even a month or so. But 11 months? That isn't just eccentric, absent-minded, etc., it's inexcusably inconsiderate and reflects a total disdain for anything resembling fair dealing. I wouldn't bid on anything he's selling no matter how nice a guy he is or how well-intentioned he might be. And I'm glad the information was posted here, I think it's a valuable service for everyone, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Capocheny
20-Nov-2006, 02:11
I wouldn't bid on anything from a seller that took my money last January and who still hasn't sent the item I paid for. I can understand a little eccentricity, a little absent-mindedness, etc. etc. as justification for a delay in shipment of a couple weeks, maybe even a month or so. But 11 months? That isn't just eccentric, absent-minded, etc., it's inexcusably inconsiderate and reflects a total disdain for anything resembling fair dealing. I wouldn't bid on anything he's selling no matter how nice a guy he is or how well-intentioned he might be. And I'm glad the information was posted here, I think it's a valuable service for everyone, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Brian, I'd certainly second your statement! Even if he were eccentric... it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to at least let the buyer know what's going on with his purchase. That's just common decency!

And, if the seller lists more than just the one-off item, I'd submit that the problem isn't just that of TLGG1. It would be applicable to all of us who make purchases from the bay. If we accept this sort of behavior, then it's tacit approval of the way business is done. IMHO, this isn't the behavior of a prudent business person. I can think back to all the comments levied against a well-known camera maker here on this very site. Likewise to a particular camera repair person!

With all due respects to Robert and Will... I, personally, wouldn't do any business with this particular seller!

Lastly, I think TLGG1's warning is of interest to all of us here. The LF community is really a small one and accessing certain pieces of gear is also fairly limited. So, it's valuable information to know who the good and bad sellers are!

Thanks TLGG1. :)

Cheers