PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Butcher video

John Brady
16-Nov-2006, 08:26
Here is a link to a short Clyde Butcher video I thought some of you might enjoy.
http://wm.wtsp.gannett.edgestreams.net/news/200611/07/photography.wmv

Alan Rabe
16-Nov-2006, 08:49
Exquisite, absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the link.

Eric Biggerstaff
16-Nov-2006, 10:21
John,

Thanks for sharing this, it was wonderful.

reellis67
16-Nov-2006, 10:48
That's a very nice piece, thanks for sharing the link.

- Randy

j.e.simmons
16-Nov-2006, 11:03
I have to wonder what kind of cheap editing software the TV station was sold. The video freezes just before every dissolve.

Otherwise, a good story. Presents Clyde as he is.
juan

Bill_1856
16-Nov-2006, 11:38
Must be your connection, jes? It dissolves smoothly on mine.

Mark McCarvill
16-Nov-2006, 12:21
Thanks for the tip.

The audio worked fine but all I saw was a bright green screen (using Windows Media Player). If anyone can suggest an alternative program to try, let me know.

Mark

william linne
16-Nov-2006, 12:28
I REALLY don't like his photos, but what a great portrait of a WORKING photographer.

W.

Bob McCarthy
16-Nov-2006, 12:56
A similar but far more comprehensive version of this is presented on the Luminous landscape Video Journal DVD an issue back.

Here is the link

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=69

Best work I've seen Reichman do. Well worth the $20 he asks.

Bob

Rory_5244
16-Nov-2006, 16:57
I definitely agree with Bob. A good buy.

dyuhas
16-Nov-2006, 22:05
Thanks for the tip.

The audio worked fine but all I saw was a bright green screen (using Windows Media Player). If anyone can suggest an alternative program to try, let me know.

Mark

WinAmp works for me.

Dave

Andrew O'Neill
16-Nov-2006, 23:29
I wonder where he puts that big pack...does it float?

Brian Ellis
17-Nov-2006, 00:32
I wonder where he puts that big pack...does it float?

I found the video amusing for the same reason Andrew alludes to. There he is wading in knee-deep water but there's nobody else with him so how's he going to set the pack down to get out his gear? The times I've seen him photographing he's always had his wife Nikki along to do the schlepping and in the swamp they've used a canoe to carry the gear.

Capocheny
17-Nov-2006, 02:40
John,

Fabulous video! Thanks for sharing.

I've always enjoyed his images... :)

100 lbs! Guess my 45 pounder is just a minor inconvenience! :)

Andrew,

You'd almost think that tugging a small canoe would be easier than schlepping that backpack and pod! :)

Guess a baby's jogging stroller isn't going to work in that environment!

Cheers

Alan Rabe
17-Nov-2006, 05:58
I seriously doubt the 100 lbs. The way the pack was setting on his shoulders and back did not give the impression of that kind of weight. I suspect probably 50-60, still a considerable amount to be lugging around a swamp.

roteague
17-Nov-2006, 11:13
Enjoyable video. His work doesn't do much for me, but I enjoyed seeing how he works.

Bill_1856
17-Nov-2006, 13:57
I don't understand why Clyde is dissed by so many photographers. I understand that some may not care for his subject matter (even Weston isn 't unversally enjoyed), and his giant prints may not be of St. Ansel quality, but he is a good, straight-forward, honest, full-time working photographer whose vision is unique, and freely shared with others. He does for conservation in Florida very much what AA did in California. He is a truly nice guy with only a normal sized ego, (which is one of the most amazing things about him).

Doug Howk
17-Nov-2006, 14:35
Clyde is one of the good guys, from my viewpoint. He has helped conservation here in Florida in the face of adverse political climate (our soon to be departed governor actually proposed pumping agricultural waste-water into the Florida aquifer in order to "clean" the water). Clyde also made me realize there is more to Florida than what's seen in tourist postcards. His photo techniques may be a bit loose, but the effect of viewing his prints is inspiring.

roteague
17-Nov-2006, 18:26
I don't understand why Clyde is dissed by so many photographers. I understand that some may not care for his subject matter (even Weston isn 't unversally enjoyed), and his giant prints may not be of St. Ansel quality, but he is a good, straight-forward, honest, full-time working photographer whose vision is unique, and freely shared with others. He does for conservation in Florida very much what AA did in California. He is a truly nice guy with only a normal sized ego, (which is one of the most amazing things about him).

I'm not against Clyde, I just don't care much for B&W.

Brian Ellis
17-Nov-2006, 18:30

When you refer to "dissing" do you mean in this thread? I didn't see any dissing of him here. I saw only praise for him, his work, and the video with a couple comments to the effect that the video wasn't entirely realistic but that certainly wasn't "dissing" Clyde.

Bill_1856
17-Nov-2006, 19:39
No, not particularly in this thread, Brian. But I often sense an undercurrent of "he's not really one of us," when his name comes up in LF circles. I've just been pissed at the world for the last several days, and vented here. Sorry.

Brian Ellis
18-Nov-2006, 00:42
No, not particularly in this thread, Brian. But I often sense an undercurrent of "he's not really one of us," when his name comes up in LF circles. I've just been pissed at the world for the last several days, and vented here. Sorry.

No problem Bill, I've had a few days like that myself lately. To the extent Clyde is dissed I think part of it is just envy. He's done more with LF photography both financially and from a name-recognition standpoint in the last 15 or 20 years than all but a small handful of others.

neil poulsen
18-Nov-2006, 04:17
That was excellent.

But, what about snakes and alligators in the Everglades? Does he photograph those?

rwyoung
18-Nov-2006, 10:01
That was excellent.

But, what about snakes and alligators in the Everglades? Does he photograph those?

He has secretly trained them to haul his equipment. The 100lb pack is just a cover story.

roteague
18-Nov-2006, 12:33
To the extent Clyde is dissed I think part of it is just envy.

I do think he is full of **** concerning his comments about color photography. But, it is his opinion, so I respect that.

John Brady
18-Nov-2006, 13:03
Robert, Clyde is not against color photography he just does not like it for his own work.
He has work by other large format photographers who shoot all color (Jeff Ripple as an example) on display in his gallery.

I think Clyde is an amazing artist. His large Florida landscape work is very inpiring to me. Clyde is one of the most humble great photographers you will ever meet. When I told him how impressed I am with his work, his reply to me was that he is just a hack photographer. I think by that he maens that he has perfected things to a point where it is a very simple process for him. He meters by eye or memory, I am not sure which.
Anyway, I am glad you all enjoyed the clip.

PMahoney
18-Nov-2006, 18:31
I think Clyde is a remarkable guy, easy going, and willing to offer advice to aspiring LFers such as a myself. John is right, when he speaks of color photography, he simply states it doesn't work for him, but as was already mentioned, he has quite a bit of color work from other's in his gallery.

He may do things 'simply' while in a shoot, but he certainly captures the essence of Florida, a VERY difficult place to shoot landscapes. I enjoyed the link very much, thanks for sending.

Peter

roteague
18-Nov-2006, 19:19
I think Clyde is a remarkable guy, easy going, and willing to offer advice to aspiring LFers such as a myself.

In the video, the narrator, quoting Clyde says "color is a duplication, b&w an interpretation" - this is the quote I am referring to.

Personally, I agree with his stance about not including people in his images and I like big prints as well.