PDA

View Full Version : KEH question

false_Aesthetic
15-Nov-2006, 16:23
KEH has conservative ratings.

Has anyone bought a bargain anything from KEH? Was it horrible?

Specifically I'm looking at a few lenses. I can't afford the EX EX+ etc. But thers a few bargains that I can afford. DO i risk it?

T

darr
15-Nov-2006, 16:29
I bought a bargain grade chrome Nikon F3-T a few years ago. It worked but the viewfinder was definitely crunched by something. Inside the viewfinder the shutter speed indicator was missing either a "2" or "5" from the display, but I was still able to use it fine once I figured it out.

cobalt
15-Nov-2006, 16:44
I've bought bargain stuff from them that looked new, and bargain stuff that looked ok and had problems. The good thing is they are very good about correcting problems. The bad is the time and cash invested in shipping gets old after a while. Check out Jim at Midwest for LF lenses. They tend to be slow at times, a bit...unwieldy to deal with, in my opinion, but Jim is the most knowledgeable guy I've bought from through the mail.

Ed Richards
15-Nov-2006, 16:53
KEH is really good about returns. I have not returned anything to Midwest, but I have mostly purchased stuff from KEH.

Ron Marshall
15-Nov-2006, 17:19
I usually buy ex or ex+ from KEH. Only once have I returned something, and it was a very minor issue. The return was easy and hassle free. They really want you to be satisfied.

Rafael Garcia
15-Nov-2006, 18:27
I have bought a few accessories from KEH online. They were fine. I remember when they had a showroom. Then, being in Atlanta, I could visit and examine the stuff in person. I hesitate to buy from them now because of their high shipping costs for something I could just as easily pick up.

Ted Harris
15-Nov-2006, 18:32
I have purchased many lenses from both KEH and Midwest over many years and found both reliable. If anything, Jim is even more conservative in his rating of lenses than KEH is. Midwest also is no hassle on returns and exchanges.

Onem tip on dealing with Jim, telephone, don't email. He answers email as he can but spends his life with a phone glued to his ear.

tim atherton
15-Nov-2006, 18:37
I've risked it three times with KEH with bgn lenses (each time MPEX didn't have what I was looking for - I've bought from Jim there as well).

Each time I was lucky. One - I couldn't figure out what in the world was bgn about it. One (75mm Super Angulon) was listed as having a mark on the len, arrived, body was perfect and the mark cleaned off... Third time the glass was pristine, but there was basic wear on the black of the lens body (125mm Fujinon).

So it's probably a bit of a crap shoot, but their descriptions are generally fairly conservative in my experience. The glass has always been good.

Donald Qualls
15-Nov-2006, 19:15
I've seen a number of reports on other forums of folks buying Bargain or even Ugly rated items from KEH, and finding them fully functional and in some cases barely marked cosmetically. KEH Ug seems to be about like some other dealers' Excellent-minus.

However, I have no personal experience with them. Should try to remember to look over their used listings when I have money... ;)

Tom Micklin
15-Nov-2006, 19:23
I've bought a lot of Hasselblad equipment from KEH - most of it Bargain - and was always very happy with what I got.
Jim at Midwest is an amazing person to deal with. Always fair and helpful.
Can't go wrong with either.

darr
15-Nov-2006, 19:34
I have bought a few accessories from KEH online. They were fine. I remember when they had a showroom. Then, being in Atlanta, I could visit and examine the stuff in person. I hesitate to buy from them now because of their high shipping costs for something I could just as easily pick up.

Rafael,

I remember walking in off of 14th Street and buying from the KEH shelves. Then years later they moved to the Marietta Blvd location and you could not walk in and browse, but I could pick up my orders. The last time I lived in the area was in 2000, has that all changed?

Darr

Brian Ellis
15-Nov-2006, 19:57
I bought a "bargain" Pentax 67 TTL finder from KEH. It worked but there was a major dent in the top. Pretty much like they say "bargain" means, functional but not pretty.

Sheldon N
15-Nov-2006, 20:21
I bought a bargain Fuji lens from KEH. When I got it the glass was a bit dusty and there was the faintest hint of wear. I wouldn't have any reservations calling it mint to anyone else. They've been pretty conservative on the things I've seen from them.

reellis67
16-Nov-2006, 07:12
I've bought a number of lenses and a camera from them that were rated BGN that turned out to be fantastic. I also bought my wife an EX camera that looked like it was just taken out of the factory box. I've dealt with them 5 times total and all 5 were flawless.

- Randy

Al Seyle
16-Nov-2006, 08:56
Question I have is SELLING to KEH. Their first question is- Has this item ever been used professionally? As though they're going to mark it lower if so. An item should be priced according to its condition, not who has used (or not used) it.

Ron Marshall
16-Nov-2006, 09:01
Question I have is SELLING to KEH. Their first question is- Has this item ever been used professionally? As though they're going to mark it lower if so. An item should be priced according to its condition, not who has used (or not used) it.

They might be concerned that internal mechanisms that cannot be observed without dissasembly might be considerably worn with pro equipment.

Brian Ellis
16-Nov-2006, 10:06

Based on my one experience selling to them, selling is much different than buying. Yeas ago I bought an old Zeiss 35mm system (camera, 4 or 5 lenses, etc.) that looked mint to me and worked perfectly. But I had no use for it, it was an impulse purchase at a camera show, and that was in the days before ebay. So I called KEH, described the condition as honestly as I could, and they quoted a price of something like $300 (about 3/4 of what I paid, which seemed fair to me). So I boxed it up, shipped it, and when they received it they called and said it was in poor condition and all they could pay was $50 for the whole system. That seemed strange but I figured they knew more than I did about photography equipment so rather than pay to have it shipped back and then try to sell it some other way I let it go. A couple months later I looked in their Shutterbug ad and there was a Zeiss system exactly like mine described as E+ or Mint - with a selling price of about $500.

Conincidence? Did they just happen to get two identical old Zeiss systems in, one in bad condition (mine) and another in mint or E+ condition, and they tried to sell only the latter? Or did they do something to the camera and lenses that all of a sudden changed the condition from poor to excellent/mint? I don't think so. I think they knew they had me over a barrel and paid the least they possibly could. So especially today, where there seems to be a market for anything on ebay, I wouldn't sell anything to them.

Al Seyle
16-Nov-2006, 10:20
Six months ago I got their quote to buy my Contax T3. I shipped it and within a week got a check for 10% MORE than the quote. I have purchased several items from them over the years and have usually been happy. The one exception was a lot of 12 4x5 film holders which were far from the excellent that was stated. I think if they are out of the excellent, they just ship what they have just to fill the order. Still a much better chance than ebay in by experience. At least they will work with you.

Oren Grad
16-Nov-2006, 10:23

But what do you mean by "condition"? Would you rather buy a camera that looks like new but has been used for 50,000 exposures, or one that's scuffed up a bit but had only 10 rolls through it? One of the reasons buying used equipment is tricky is that the "condition" ratings are usually just cosmetic ratings, and it's anybody's guess how much functional wear-and-tear the equipment has suffered.

As for KEH, they'd be rational to mark down an item that has been used professionally, because the odds that a buyer will have a problem with it are almost certainly higher.

It's a bit easier with view cameras, because the construction is much simpler and there are generally few critical components that are hidden. But if you're out to buy a used Hassy or Nikon F-series camera, watch out.

Andy Eads
16-Nov-2006, 12:31
As a high school photography teacher, I once needed 6 Nikon FM bodies for a short term project. I called KEH, asked them to bid on 6 usable cameras. They gave me a good price, shipped them quickly and they all worked fine. They have my confidence.

Terence McDonagh
17-Nov-2006, 07:47
My experience is primarily with medium format (seven lenses, three bodies, three film backs). KEH's "bargain" lens are great. Clean glass and fully functional. Filter threads are brassed from use, but work fine. Some occasional scuffs on the barrel, but nothing that I'd even call cosmetically ugly. The "bargain" bodies are a little uglier (but only slightly), a little brassed, a little scuffed, a little rough around the edges, but all perfectly functioning and usable. For film backs I've always gone for "excellent" as they're more finicky and tough to tell the condition of.

As a general rule, KEH's "bargain" grade is better than most dealers' 9+ rating, in my experience. And the one item I returned ( a film back) was a completely hassle-free experience.

The best deals are items where previous owners have engraved a name or number. KEH drops their price substantially. I have one lens I would swear is new except for an ID number engraved on it. It was "bargain" rated. It even smelled new.

Photojeep
17-Nov-2006, 10:21
While it has been a while since I bought from them (probably around 3 years or so), I have been consistently amazed at how they mark the condition of their inventory. What I would call Mint they call excellent or excellent minus and so on. I have been involved in buying or selling equipment for more years than I care to count and I would put KEH at the top of the list. Adorama on the other hand...

Best regards,

David Karp
17-Nov-2006, 10:28
I buy LF stuff mostly from Jim at mpex. Great. Great. Great. I have also purchased a few things from KEH with good results.

I sold some items to KEH not too long ago. I gave them a detailed fair description of the items, and they gave me a bit more for some items, a bit less for one of the items. I thought they were very fair, especially after seeing what the things I sold were going for on E-Bay.

Colin Graham
17-Nov-2006, 16:19
I bought my 150 Sironar-S from KEH, rated as bargain. There wasnt a mark on it. If it had factory caps I would have thought it was brand new.

jnantz
17-Nov-2006, 18:20
i've bought everything from point and shoot cameras for to pentax lenses to super angulon lenses from keh. they were all "bargain" and all exceeded my expectations. all the lenses were obviously used, but in very very good condition, the point and shoot camera was in a new in the box($19).

i look forward to buying from them again :)

john

erie patsellis
19-Nov-2006, 11:59
Like most here, I've spent way more than I'd admit to my wife from KEH, all BGN or Ugly. recently I wanted to fabricate an RB67 lensboard for my 4x5, I bought an as-is body, for around $15 as I recall. Not only was it nearly perfect (far better than my user bodies) but the supposed foam needing replacing didn't. Similar experiences buying several as-is backs to use as parts for a 6x12 project (and to keep my backs alive that much longer) Nothing but praises for KEH here.

erie

neil poulsen
19-Nov-2006, 13:16
I bought a 24mm Canon shift lens that was listed bargain. Glass was fine. Only problem was the tightening screw for the tilt option doesn't work. But, the tilt mechanism is tight enough that the tightening screw isn't needed.

While there are postate fees involved, one can always return the item if not satisfied.

Doug Kerr
22-Nov-2006, 16:28

Has anyone bought a bargain anything from KEH?

Yes, a few times.

Was it horrible?

Not at all. But it was generally a bargain!

Best regards,

Doug

Rafael Garcia
22-Nov-2006, 16:36
Rafael,

I remember walking in off of 14th Street and buying from the KEH shelves. Then years later they moved to the Marietta Blvd location and you could not walk in and browse, but I could pick up my orders. The last time I lived in the area was in 2000, has that all changed?

Darr

They don't allow pick-ups now. You have to receive the items just as if you were not local. I also remember looking through their bins fondly. There was another fellow who sold used equipment on North Druid Hills and I-85. He passed away several years ago and Wing Camera bougfht most of his stuff. Wing Camera is a pretty good place to look for old equipment in Atlanta, although their LF stuff is very limited.

Hany Aziz
22-Nov-2006, 17:32

Has anyone bought a bargain anything from KEH? Was it horrible?

Specifically I'm looking at a few lenses. I can't afford the EX EX+ etc. But thers a few bargains that I can afford. DO i risk it?

T

I have bought bargain once. It was in the condition I expected, glass was pristine. More interestingly a Contax 35 mm lens described as ugly (their worst rating) arrived with perfect glass and very minor signs of use on the body. They do sometimes allow you to ask them to pull the item and describe it in detail (or possibly even email you pictures of it), but you do have to phone and speak to a sales person. I agree also that with LF gear dealing with Jim in Midwest is usually a pleasure and his knowlege of LF gear is a big plus. His ratings are also conservative.

Sincerely,

Hany.

John Voss
22-Nov-2006, 17:53
I've bought two lenses from KEH in the past year. Both were EX, but I was hard pressed to find the least evidence of prior use. I've nothing but the highest regard for the conservative nature of their ratings. Have at it!

Rider
22-Nov-2006, 18:38
At the end of the day, all you risk is the two-way shipping.

I haven't purchased any large format gear from KEH, but have had to return quite a few of the things I purchased used.

On the other hand, I am quite happy with the new equipment I purchased from them.