PDA

View Full Version : Ebay seller to avoid

Donald Miller
14-Nov-2006, 21:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following Ebay seller is someone to watch. I bought five lens boards for my camera and sent payment via Postal Money Order. The lens boards were not shipped and when I questioned him he responded with the vilest most vulgar email that I have ever received.

Oaklandlenscom.

The sellers name is Jorge Mareno located in Auburn Hills Mi. 48336.

Deal with this person only at your own peril.

Andrew O'Neill
14-Nov-2006, 21:47
Thanks for the heads up!

Capocheny
14-Nov-2006, 23:47
Don,

Sorry to hear about your problem with the seller... in the future, I'd suggest using a credit card for payment.

Why?

Because there's usually recourse to recovering your payments with cc payments. You can go to them and they'll at least investigate the problem. If it lies with the seller... they'll reverse the charge from your cc.

Once Postal Money Orders are cashed... you're essentially out of luck unless you can get the Postmaster involved. Hmmm, I wonder if this would be a way of recovering your money....

Hope things work out! :)

Cheers

Bart Nadeau_6607
14-Nov-2006, 23:57
Don- It's ok. The lensboards wouldn't have fit anyway. At least that was my experience.

John Bowen
15-Nov-2006, 04:41
Oaklandlenscom....Is this the guy that lists Zone VI and Wisner lens boards for about $5? I guess you get what you pay for......

NEVER had a problem with one of Richard Ritter's lens boards

Matus Kalisky
15-Nov-2006, 05:39
Well, I ordered from this guy two lensboards ($6 alltogether + shipping) for my Tachihara about half a year ago. When they arrived I found out that they are a bit too narrov (would wiggle in the left-right direction when attached to the camera) and the holes for the copal#0 and copal#1 did not have exact size. Worse was that they smelled TERRIBLY (some oil black color) and were also loosing paint a bit when touched. I've sent him an email with my complains - so finaly we agreed such that he reinbursed those $6 back - and I kept the lensboards. I got then a normal metallic lensboard from somewhere else.

The bottom line is the product waws poor (well, $3 per lensboard), but I can not complain about the seller itself.

Matus

william linne
15-Nov-2006, 06:53
i bought some filters from him a few months ago and they never arrived. I sent about five emails asking about them and never heard from him. So, I inititated a claim with paypal, which he never responded to, and got my money back. Then I left negative feedback and all hell broke loose. He left crazy negative feedback from me and then started emailing and calling me threatening to come to my house and kill me. I waited for a while for him to show up (I think he might have been surprised if he had) but nothing ever came of it. A true psycho.

BrianShaw
15-Nov-2006, 07:36
... Worse was that they smelled TERRIBLY...

Ha, ha... this reminds me of the ground glass I bought not long ago. Great glass, wonderfuly nice entrepeneur selling them, but it took me 2 days to recover from the allergy attack I had following opening of the parcel.

Geert
15-Nov-2006, 08:25
Ha, ha... this reminds me of the ground glass I bought not long ago. Great glass, wonderfuly nice entrepeneur selling them, but it took me 2 days to recover from the allergy attack I had following opening of the parcel.

Let me guess... cigarette odour? ;)

G

MIke Sherck
15-Nov-2006, 08:36
File a fraud complaint with your local post office. Results are a little variable depending on how busy they are but being investigated by the Treasury Department is a marvelous way of getting the attention of some of these creeps.

Mike

Michael Kadillak
15-Nov-2006, 10:35
I ordered two Wisner lens boards from this guy and while I was lucky that they arrived, they are a bit to large and I do not want to screw with them. I got a $16 lesson.

As a result, I am going to go back to Richard Ritter for my lens boards because I can trust him to get it right.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Don.

Cheers!

Donald Miller
15-Nov-2006, 16:00
Thanks, I have contacted Richard Ritter. I have confidence that he is ethical.

Keith Pitman
15-Nov-2006, 17:00
I had mixed experience with this seller: I bought a six inch Wisner-type lensboard that was cut to large. I sent the lensboard back with the correct measurements and receive one promptly cut to the correct dimensions. Seems silly to sell the wrong size to a lot of people, but hope he know the correct measurements now. Also, the board was unfinished (except black paint on back side), but it was simple enough to wipe on several coats of finish.

Robert Oliver
15-Nov-2006, 21:42
my order from oakland arrived and fit just fine.

Jack Flesher
15-Nov-2006, 22:10
Since you paid with PayPal, you can open a complaint and if the seller does not provide resolution -- shipment of the titems or refund, PayPal will reverse the charge.

Capocheny
15-Nov-2006, 22:36
Unfortunately, Donald use Postal Money Order rather than PayPal. Even if you don't use PayPal and paid directly through a credit card such as Visa or Mastercard... a complaint to the cc company may result in the charge being reversed.

Good sellers are so hard to find these days... that's why I really look for the tried and true sellers I've dealt with in the past! :)

Cheers

roteague
15-Nov-2006, 22:52
Unfortunately, Donald use Postal Money Order rather than PayPal. Even if you don't use PayPal and paid directly through a credit card such as Visa or Mastercard... a complaint to the cc company may result in the charge being reversed.

Postal Money Order isn't a bad way to go in the US - it opens the possibility of opening a mail fraud claim (assuming he mailed it using the US mail) against the seller. Real bad news is the seller lives in the US.

CXC
16-Nov-2006, 14:55
My board with a custom, peculiar size hole is just fine, and you can't beat the price. If the guy has gone over the deep end, that is a shame.

I once spent 5 minutes and $0.00 making myself a board out of cardboard, to test a lens in the absence of any board. Thing worked fine, and it made $100 metal boards seem like ridiculous overkill. Ugly, though.

Jack Flesher
16-Nov-2006, 15:05

Good sellers are so hard to find these days... that's why I really look for the tried and true sellers I've dealt with in the past! :)

Cheers

Of course -- how stupid of me :rolleyes:

Terence McDonagh
16-Nov-2006, 15:10
Just got my three boards from him. It took about two weeks. The two 6" boards are a little oversize, but I should be able to plane it down to fit (not that I should have to, but not toooo terrible). I can't test the 4 1/2" one yet.

The holes look about right.

They are a little funky smelling. Not quite a paint smell.

Kevin M Bourque
16-Nov-2006, 18:31
I notice he has over 3000 feedbacks and a 99.2% positive rating. If there's a great many dissatisfied customers (and I don't doubt you are one of them), they're not leaving appropriate feedback.

Donald Miller
16-Nov-2006, 18:35
I had an email from someone today that finally got some boards and they were oversized. But at least they were shipped. I guess oversized is better than undersized.

william linne
16-Nov-2006, 18:41
If you check his feedback, EVERY single time he is given negative feedback, he retaliates with negative feedback. That dissuades a lot of people who would otherwise leave negative feedback. That's what he did with me (after many,many attempts to find out why my item hadn't arrived), along with threatening to kill me "with the same bat I killed a dog with today." I gave him my home address, but he never showed.

Capocheny
16-Nov-2006, 23:57
Real bad news is the seller lives in the US.

Hi Rob,

Yes, you're quite right... postal money orders are a good way to go. When I was selling a few things on the bay... I always preferred using either postal money orders or PayPal.

Out of curiosity (since I live in Canada)... why would it be a disadvantage for the seller to live in the U.S. given that he'd be accessible to the U.S. Postal Inspectors?

Cheers

Capocheny
17-Nov-2006, 00:02
Of course -- how stupid of me :rolleyes:

Jack,

Yikes!

Sorry, that's the last thing I meant to convey! :blush:

Cheers

Colin Graham
17-Nov-2006, 16:33
I notice he has over 3000 feedbacks and a 99.2% positive rating. If there's a great many dissatisfied customers (and I don't doubt you are one of them), they're not leaving appropriate feedback.

The feedback system is ridiculous. Everyone's so scared of retaliation they wont use it properly. (My apologies if you were being ironic). I once left neutral feedback (slow slow shipping, item not as described) for someone and got negative feedback in return! And in caplocks at that.

roteague
17-Nov-2006, 18:21
Out of curiosity (since I live in Canada)... why would it be a disadvantage for the seller to live in the U.S. given that he'd be accessible to the U.S. Postal Inspectors?

Cheers

If the buyer used the US postal system to send the money order, then it becomes a federal matter.

Kevin M Bourque
17-Nov-2006, 20:13
I wasn't being ironic...I was just reporting what I saw and speculating on the cause.

I agree, the system is flawed, but what how else are you going to do it? Besides, not everyone gives retaliatory feedback.

I've only been burned a few times (buying and selling) and a left negative feedback in each case. No caps or profanity, just the facts. Maybe I'm just lucky but no on ever tried to get back at me.

Jan Pedersen
17-Nov-2006, 21:01
One way to make the feedback system a bit more honest would in my humble opinion be to let seller post feedback before seller can receive feedback.
If buyer is quick to pay and complete his part of the deal then seller would need to post feedback before he eventually would get feedback for his part of the transaction.
This would keep sellers honest about the products they are selling or leave them with low feedback if they don't feel comfortable leaving feedback for buyer.

Linhof
17-Nov-2006, 21:16
I would add an ebay member : alternative_view in the list to avoid.

Capocheny
17-Nov-2006, 21:52
If the buyer used the US postal system to send the money order, then it becomes a federal matter.

Thanks Rob.... that's what I thought. :)

Cheers

Capocheny
17-Nov-2006, 22:05
One way to make the feedback system a bit more honest would in my humble opinion be to let seller post feedback before seller can receive feedback.
If buyer is quick to pay and complete his part of the deal then seller would need to post feedback before he eventually would get feedback for his part of the transaction.
This would keep sellers honest about the products they are selling or leave them with low feedback if they don't feel comfortable leaving feedback for buyer.

Jan,

I couldn't agree with you more... IMHO, what you're suggesting makes absolute good sense!

Now, if only the powers that be at Ebay could figure that one out!

I've just left Neutral feedback for a seller. The auction ended at the end of August. They said it was sent (and may well have.) But, it never arrive. It could have gotten lost in the system somewhere. So, the next few weeks were spent sending emails. The seller was slow to respond, which resulted in more emails being sent. Anyway, the long and short of it is that the item finally arrived (6 weeks after the sale.)

The irritating thing was that, at one point, they said that the item had been re-shipped. After asking for shipping info... they then said that they were out of the product and asked that I wait for the next shipment to arrive.

So, my question was, "Has it been sent or not?" Needless to say... I was confused! I would have left positive feedback had they been straight up with me and skipped the B.S.

Today, they sent me a note stating that they were disappointed in my leaving them neutral feedback.

So, I'm expecting a retaliatory feedback to my otherwise perfect rating!

Life... not much that I can do about it! :)

Cheers

Jan Pedersen
17-Nov-2006, 22:42
HDC,
My suggestion or thinking was emailed to ebay a long time ago but as you and everyone that does a fair (Read to much) deal of buying instead of selling knows, ebay does not care S... about buyers...
All ebay cares about is $
I have one negative feedback and that was of course a retaliation from a none paying bidder. it did bother me a lot when it happend but i don't really care much about it anymore. I have made it a principle not to post feedback to a seller unless i get the feedback for fast payment first. ebay suck but sometimes i make a good buy :D

jan

Capocheny
17-Nov-2006, 23:05
HDC,
My suggestion or thinking was emailed to ebay a long time ago but as you and everyone that does a fair (Read to much) deal of buying instead of selling knows, ebay does not care S... about buyers...
All ebay cares about is $
I have one negative feedback and that was of course a retaliation from a none paying bidder. it did bother me a lot when it happend but i don't really care much about it anymore.

jan

Jan,

I hear you!

Life is far too short to worry about crap like that... so a wise move on your part! :)

Cheers

corkman
10-Jun-2010, 16:09
sd-cameras09. He is just an incredible belligerent person. Don't even dare ask him a question about this products. Not helpful in any way at all. Very insulting. Apparently if you don't take him for his word then you're an idiot who lives with him mother, can't spell, have no friends, and shouldn't be taking photographs at all with his quality cameras.

largely
10-Jun-2010, 17:14
i bought some filters from him a few months ago and they never arrived. I sent about five emails asking about them and never heard from him. So, I inititated a claim with paypal, which he never responded to, and got my money back. Then I left negative feedback and all hell broke loose. He left crazy negative feedback from me and then started emailing and calling me threatening to come to my house and kill me. I waited for a while for him to show up (I think he might have been surprised if he had) but nothing ever came of it. A true psycho.

As far as I know this type of threat is highly illegal. If this is true I'd be in contact with the authorities immediately.
Sorry to hear that there are such nuts who aren't in jail.

Larry

Sideshow Bob
10-Jun-2010, 18:44
Check the date, this thread is almost 4 years old.

Gale

Don Dudenbostel
10-Jun-2010, 20:17
Sorry to hear you had a problem. He must have changed names but I purchased a custom Canham to 8x10 Deardorff board and it came in a couple of weeks and fit perfect. The guy I bought from is in Auburn Hills but uses a different name and has 100 o/o feedback on over 800 transactions.

Kirk Keyes
11-Jun-2010, 14:30
I think Don went digital a couple years back. I wonder if this had anything to do with it...
;^)

minesix66
11-Jun-2010, 15:38
That guy lives about an hour away from me.

Ezzie
12-Jun-2010, 06:38
Ken Rockwell has a lot of opinions, but some are just common sense. Once you understand how the rating system works, anything under 99.8% is questionable, anything under 99.6% should be avoided for anything of value. Under 99.5%, avoid completely. I agree, though I´ve bought from sellers with lower rating, I understand the risks of doing so.

akfreak
2-Jun-2011, 01:02
This Idiot is still at it. I wanted a wooden board for my cambo 4x5 to play with. I asked him a question, just a question, the questions was can he wait to cut the hole size until I receive the lens I want to put on it. (I ordered a CZJ 300mm 4.5 1Q) and dont know the flange hole size. He states a backlog in his feedback, so I thought nothing of it. this was his response to me

"you are getting away with murder here. Just take your business somewhere else. It is a shame I can't leave you negative feedback. From here on, take your time to read the full listing, when you win the auction you enter a contrac to buy the item. So, next time you purchase anything on eBay read the full listing, now go away. I am not wasting my time reading your emails.

- mcmch"

HUH, what planet is the Jack0## from? I paid him in full and asked him to wait giving him time. I bet he is some puny geek that hides behind his tough guy keyboard. I will see how this pans out.

akfreak
2-Jun-2011, 08:59
BTW his new name ion Ebay is mcmch he was too stupid to change his paypal info and still reflects Oaklandlenscom as Jorge Mareno what a joke.

BarryS
2-Jun-2011, 09:50
Yep--the guy is psychotic and a serial liar. :mad:

BTW his new name ion Ebay is mcmch he was too stupid to change his paypal info and still reflects Oaklandlenscom as Jorge Mareno what a joke.

Sirius Glass
2-Jun-2011, 16:16
Thanks for the update.

Steve