PDA

View Full Version : Reversing a Toyo Lensboard?

Dave_B
14-Nov-2006, 19:36
Does anyone have any experience with reversing a Toyo recessed lens board to gain a centimeter or so of extra extension so that a 500 mm telephoto will work on a 45AII?
Thanks for the help,
Dave B.

Joseph Dickerson
16-Nov-2006, 09:34
Dave,

I used to use a reversed recessed board on a Toyo 45A. The longest lens I had was a 300mm APO Ronar but it worked well.

Joe D.

Ralph Barker
16-Nov-2006, 09:48
Note that the back side of the Toyo boards have a raised edge that fits into a corresponding groove in the front standard, so as to act as a light trap. If you reverse the board, you may need to add a new light trap to what is now the inside surface of the board. Felt strips glued to the surface so they fit inside the throat of the standard should work OK.

squiress
16-Nov-2006, 10:22
In looking at my Toyo boards I am surprised that you would eek out a centimeter. A few mm maybe.

Stew

Dave_B
16-Nov-2006, 14:08
Stew:
I was asking about using a recessed lensboard. As you point out, there is not much point in doing this for a flat one.
Thanks,
Dave B.

Louis Jensen
16-Nov-2006, 14:36
The Nikon T500 needs about 14 inches of bellows. It is easy to make an extension tube for a lens board. Get a short piece of 3 inch ABS sewer pipe, some Masonite board and epoxy. Cut a 3 inch hole in the lens board, cut a piece of ABS pipe about 2.5 inches long, cut a piece of Masonite to cover the end of the pipe and a hole for the shutter. Epoxy the ABS pipe to the lens board and the Masonite to the end of the pipe. Paint the inside of the pipe with some flat black paint. For the cost of the materials and your free labor, you have solved the problem.