PDA

View Full Version : LVT negative and silver gelatin printing

rbellantoni
14-Nov-2006, 18:57
Does anybody know what kind of quality can be expected with today's technology when enlarging an LVT negative (made from a 4x5 scan) onto a sheet of silver gelatin paper. Would one be able to get a high quality 16x20 print - comparable if not equal to or better than a print enlrged form an in-camera 4x5 negative. With respect to image quality (resolution, grain, sharpness, tonality, etc.) what sorts of issues would a person wishing to work with this method have to deal with.

In case you're wondering, I have some very good 4x5 B&W negs that I want to print, but they have some terrible scratches on them (carelessness on my part) that would be a nightmare to conceal in an enlargment. I'm looking for the best solution to this problem, keeping in mind that I like the look and feel of a silver gelatin print. I am hoping to scan them, touch them up in photoshop or some other program and produce 16x20 fibre prints.

Larry Gebhardt
14-Nov-2006, 19:17
The results should be very good at 16x20. I have made 4x5 negatives on a lightjet film recorder that could easily enlarge 4 times. The negatives look as detailed as the originals under a loop and when printed.

I have never used an LVT recorder, but from what I hear it is at least as good as the LightJet.

The main issue is to get a good scan. If you are springing for LVT negatives, get a good drum scan as well. Then the biggest issue will be getting the contrast right on the digital negative so it prints easily on your paper. It took me a bit of work to get the LightJet printing well on black and white film. Make sure the lab has the process worked out.