PDA

View Full Version : Calumet 300mm Caltar-II S on linhof

dslater
14-Nov-2006, 10:19
I recently purchased a 300mm f/5.6 Calumet Caltar-II S lens to use with my linhof color 2 view camera. This is a mono-rail camera that uses the linhof technica IV front and read standards. It turns out that this is a large heavy lens in a copal 3 shutter. It looks to me like I could get the lens mounted on a linhof board, but to do so, would require using an extension lensboard so the shutter clears my front standard. What I'm wondering is that if I do this, will the lens be too heavy for my front standard to hold it?
Does anyone have experience with using this lens or any similar sized lenses on a linhof camera?

Thanks

Dan

Ted Harris
14-Nov-2006, 11:33
Not direct experience on the monorail you describe but experience with about the same lens, a Schneider Symmar-S MC 300mm, on a Wista/Linhof board on a Canham 57 Traditional Field and a Toyo Field. Yup it is heavy but both cameras are sturdy enough to hold it, I only take it out into the field to demonstrate what it is like to use a very heavy lens to students otherwise it stays in the studio.

One additional point, from what you say I am guessing that the front element is mounted flush to the lensboard. The lens should hve come with an extension ring which mounts between the front element and the shutter for the express purpose of using the lens on field cameras and/or a setup such as your front standard. The ring is readily available if you don't hve it. It could be nestled in the back of the board right now and unused.

dslater
14-Nov-2006, 11:41
Hi Ted,
Thanks for the reply and information. I bought the lens mounted on a sinar lensboard so it didn't come with an extension ring. Do you know where I can get an extension ring? Also, it looks to me like the filter thread is 105mm - is this correct?
I'd really like to give the lens a try, although in the long run I'll probably sell it and buy a 305mm G-Claron f/9 for portability. Do you know how the G-Claron compares to this lens? Any suggestions for other alternatives? I loke to shoot both color and B&W.

Thanks,

Dan

Ted Harris
14-Nov-2006, 12:47
Dan,

Not sure what the filter thread is for your lens. The Caltar II-S series, if I remember correctly was made (or partially made) by Rodenstock and partially by a Japanese mfg. Someone will set me straight here if I am wrong. If it is a Rodenstock lens it will say Made in Germany around the rim of the front element. I won't hazard a guess on the filter thread but someone here will tell you. Bottom line is that it is about the same size as the Schneider I have and does need the spacer ring. You can get one used from Jim at Midwest Photo (614-261-1264) or new from Bob Salomon at HP Marketing Corp. New they are not cheap so try Jim first.

If it is a Rodenstock it is likely to be the Rodenstock Sironar or Sironar N (is it multicoated btw?) and is a fine lens indeed. The G Claron 305 should be as sharp but will not be quite as contrasty if your lens is multicoated. Tow other suggestions for small 300mm lenses are the Nikon 300M and the Fuji 300A or 300C. The 300A is probably the absolute best performer of all of them but it was discontinued a few years ago and now fetches a premium price that will make it more expensive than the others. Many swear by the 300M and, although I have never used one, I do use its big brother the 450M and find it to be the best I have ever used in that approximate focal length (450-480).

dslater
14-Nov-2006, 13:14
Hi Ted,
I have read in other forums (on photo.net i think) that the Calumet Caltar-II S is a re-branded Schneider Symmar-S, while the Caltar-S II is a re-branded Rodenstock.

Oren Grad
14-Nov-2006, 13:43
I have read in other forums (on photo.net i think) that the Calumet Caltar-II S is a re-branded Schneider Symmar-S, while the Caltar-S II is a re-branded Rodenstock.

The Caltar S-II is Schneider Symmar-S, the Caltar II-N is Rodenstock Sironar-N/Apo-Sironar-N.

I bought the lens mounted on a sinar lensboard so it didn't come with an extension ring.

Even on the Sinar board, there should be a spacer ring that sits between the front of the board and the body of the shutter.

I'd guess that it should be possible to fit your lens on a Linhof with a Technika-type front standard, though the fit of the rear cell into the opening on the front standard may be a close call. Bob Salomon of HP Marketing is the expert on all things Linhof - if no one here has experience with your particular combination, you might try asking Bob.

dslater
14-Nov-2006, 14:53
The Caltar S-II is Schneider Symmar-S, the Caltar II-N is Rodenstock Sironar-N/Apo-Sironar-N.

Arggg - I got it wrong in my original post. I have a caltar-S II, not a caltar-II S - calument had both lenses at different times.

Even on the Sinar board, there should be a spacer ring that sits between the front of the board and the body of the shutter.

I'd guess that it should be possible to fit your lens on a Linhof with a Technika-type front standard, though the fit of the rear cell into the opening on the front standard may be a close call. Bob Salomon of HP Marketing is the expert on all things Linhof - if no one here has experience with your particular combination, you might try asking Bob.

Yes - there is a small spacer ring there, but it isn't thick enough. On a linhof lens board, the shutter extends beyond edges of the lens board and will hit the bottom of my front standard.