PDA

View Full Version : Scanner chopping panorama negs into thirds

petelush
11-Nov-2006, 11:23
After several hours of trial and error I am seeking help with scanning 6x12 color negatives on my Epson 4990. Oddly, no problem with chromes of that size, but the negs are being reproduced (if that's the word) in thirds, i.e., I get six pictures for two panoramics. These individual pictures are divisions of the negatives. Further, these are great color, and if I fiddle with the settings I get full size scans but in terrible and dark color. I've tried everything except the right thing. Much appreciation for all responses.

Donald Qualls
11-Nov-2006, 19:44
Sounds like something in your software is trying to automatically scan 6x9 negatives from your 6x12 strips. Can you select a single frame in preview and stretch it to cover the entire strip (if necessary, squishing the other two into the dead space at one end or the other)? Alternately, can you scan as a transparency, invert, and then apply the necessary color correction (usually, substracting some cyan) to remove the inverted orange mask from the negative film?

Doug Fisher
12-Nov-2006, 07:38
To solve the cropping problem, in EpsonScan go into Professional mode, click on the small arrow to the right of the Preview button, choose Normal, rerun Preview, now manually draw your marquee. Make sure to only include parts of the image which you want in your final scan. That way, only those parts which you really care about will be used to calculate the auto "exposure" settings. If you include a lot of black border or clear border for example, that will confuse the auto calculation.

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

petelush
12-Nov-2006, 09:22
Donald, I wasn't clear about what you meant about stretching, but meanwhile another reply came in that works, so I won't bother you for further explanation.
Doug, I tried what you said but Marquee was always grayed. Then (accidentally?) I found the tool for outlining the frames, and the great color immediately popped up. Many thanks for your suggestion, and for Donald's also. I don't know what I'm doing but it works. I still don't know what causes the "chopping" into thirds, and naturally I no longer care. The scanner is the most extreme combination of ease of use and obscurity of usage I've ever encountered, and Epson reference guides are not very good, although the product, of course, is superb.

Joe Hunt
20-Nov-2006, 14:36
Doug Fisher solved the problem for me too - I'd just encountered it with my new V700 and looked at the Forum for that same reason. Regarding the chopping into thirds, I suspect the scanner is defaulting to 6x4.5. The V700 shows neg sizes 6x4.5,6x6,6x7,6x8,6x9, but no 6x12.
Drawing the marquee works for odder sizes as well - like the Noblex neg which is an actual 50x120mm on 120.