PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for > 1:1 macro

DrPablo
8-Nov-2006, 18:03
I'm ok with my 90 and 210 for 1:1, but I was thinking about getting a lens for 5:1 or larger.

The Tominon lenses look good, but I can't find the 17 or 35 for sale anywhere.

So my questions are:
1) where might I find a used Tominon 17 or 35

and

2) if I reverse an enlarging lens which one would you suggest?

Tracy Storer
8-Nov-2006, 19:19
Reverse mounting enlarging lenses can work very well. Find yourself a good quality 35mm enlarging lens and you're good to go. I have 50mm and longer Apo-Rodagons that I use for extreme magnification work, I cobbled together an adapter that allows me to front mount them reversed on the front of a Copal #1 shutter. (which gives me flash sync.)
Good luck,
Tracy

DrPablo
8-Nov-2006, 19:38
Thanks, Tracy,

What kind of adapter did you get?

Dan Fromm
9-Nov-2006, 05:31
Paul, what format are you shooting?

I've had 17 and 35 Tominons. The 17s are quite uncommon, but turn up from time to time on eBay. The 17 won't cover 4x5 at magnifications lower than 10:1.

35 Tominons are fairly common, if you're patient you'll be able to get one via eBay. 5:1 is the lowest magnification at which the 35 will cover 4x5.

Apropos of reversed enlarging lenses, old style El Nikkors, e.g. the 105/5.6, have mounting threads at each end, so are easily reversed. Enlarging lenses whose cells will go in #0 shutters can be reversed by swapping the cells around. For example, 105/5.6 Componon. Both of these lenses are quite available. If you have an empty #0, perhaps the Componon is what you want.

Also, at 5:1 a reversed 55/2.8 MicroNikkor AIS will cover 4x5. At f/4, this lens is quite competitive with, e.g., 63/4.5 Luminar wide open, not quite up to a 40/4.5 Luminar wide open. At smaller apertures, all of the lenses lose resolution to diffraction.

The 50/4.5 Tominon is usable, not up to any of the lenses mentioned above, screws right into a #1, and covers 4x5 from 1.5:1 up. Getting 5:1 with it will require 300 mm extension. This may be your best option.

Adapters? SKGrimes (www.skgrimes.com) will make adapters threaded female M39x1 at one end and male M40x0.75 at the other. So, I believe, will SRB (www.srbfilm.co.uk). This will do for front mounting a lens in M39x1 on a #1. And SKGrimes has made a similar adapter, threaded male M52x0.75 at the front, for hanging a reversed 55/2.8 MicroNikkor in front of a #1.

For more news, good and bad, about real macro lenses visit http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/microlen.htm

Bob Salomon
9-Nov-2006, 08:37
Rodenstock makes 3 reversing rings for enlarging lenses.
453034 is 40.5mm male to M39 Leica thread. We carry these in stock and they can be ordered through a camera store.

1030 2404 113 821 is 40.5mm male to M39 Leica thread and is special order only.
1030 2404 113 822 is M39 Leica to M39 Leica thread (male to male) and is also special order only.

For the vast majority of users trying to reverse mount 40.5mm front thread lenses there is no need for custom rings.

Ernest Purdum
9-Nov-2006, 09:03
I've got a 35mm Tominon in near mint condition. You can have it for $50.00 plus shipping and insurance if you like.

Regarding reversing adapters, Nikon also had a couple of them the last time I noticed. Lacking one of these, a filter step-up ring and a tube of epoxy can get you off to a start.

Ole Tjugen
10-Nov-2006, 00:33
Another option is an "ordinary" LF lens in a symmetrical shutter - i.e. just about any shutter except #1. Unscrew the lens cells and put them back in the "wrong" place. The old Symmar lenses were said to be very good for this, except that the 150 and 180mm Symmars are in #1's. The 240mm (older) in a #2 Compur is great!

Charles Hohenstein
10-Nov-2006, 01:44
Paul, what format are you shooting?

I've had 17 and 35 Tominons. The 17s are quite uncommon, but turn up from time to time on eBay. The 17 won't cover 4x5 at magnifications lower than 10:1.

35 Tominons are fairly common, if you're patient you'll be able to get one via eBay. 5:1 is the lowest magnification at which the 35 will cover 4x5.
[/url]

Is the 35 what I need then for copying 35mm slides to 4x5 with the MP-4, or should I be able to get by with the 50? Right now I only have the 135, 75 and 50 mm Tominons, and I don't have the extension tube for the MP-4 bellows.

Ted Harris
10-Nov-2006, 06:35
Remember too that there is a difference in the optimal lens to use for copying flat art, newsprint, etc. and for macrophotography of three diemnsional objects. For the latter you can do quite well with all of the approaches already discussed but for the absolute best results you should use one of the macro lenses offered by Rodenstock, Schneider or Nikon. This only applies if you are working at true macro magnifications. Anything less than 1:1 and you won't see any difference in performance. At 1:1 and larger magnifications the macro lenses show their stuff, particularly at the edge of the frame ....

Tracy Storer
10-Nov-2006, 09:20
The first time I needed to do it I wasn't aware of the reversing rings Bob S mentioned above. I bought a (I think) Schneider ring with Leica thread inside, Copal #1 outside, for the front of the lens, I bought a step-up ring. I taped the two together....decidedly low tech, but it works.

Bosaiya
10-Nov-2006, 09:55
Schneider makes a nice 180mm lens I've used to 12x, but it's expensive. I've used generic 90mm enlarging lenses up to 24x before. The enlarging lenses don't look very good if you use any off-axis movements. So if you're just trying to enlarge in-camera they do a decent job, but if you're looking to employ movements I'd recommend something built for the task.