PDA

View Full Version : Advice on purchasing enlarger for 8x10 negs

spgreene
7-Nov-2006, 21:45
Am shooting 8x10 and am about to start looking for an enlarger. Any recommendations?
Thanks.

John Kasaian
8-Nov-2006, 02:35
The cheap one of the litter will probably be an Elwood.I've got one. They work. Elwoods are very basic, made from wood and alloy castings, they lend themselves well to amateur repairs (which is a good thing, since much of what you'll find in the way of Elwoods have been used and used hard) Alternatives such as Durst and DeVeres offer precision and features, though at maybe 50 times the price of an elderly Elwood, and might require higher ceilings and beefed up electrical service and a slab floor as well. For simple B&W enlargements though, Elwoods are hard to beat. If you want to "kick it up a notch" without completely destroying your bank account you might find a Bessler 45 and fit an optional 8x10 head to it---however I don't know how big of a print it will let you enlarge. I think it would make for a nice sized set up and probably quite an improvement over an Elwood for those used to more modern equipment---though it would definately lack the panache of an Elwood. When my Elwood is off duty, it sports an old raincoat and a fedora. The kids call it "Uncle Elwood" ;)

Don Sparks
8-Nov-2006, 06:08
You might try some of the government agencies in your area. I bought a nice Omega 10x10 with several lenses, 3 easels, etc. for $50.00 from TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority).

Alan Rabe
8-Nov-2006, 09:50
Calumet still makes the Zone VI model. They do cost a bit. But you do see them on ebay from time to time at a pretty good cost.

Brian Ellis
8-Nov-2006, 09:53
I think the brand is almost less important than where it's located. Shipping an 8x10 enlarger any distance can be an expensive project. The Beseler 8x10 conversion that John mentioned would be a nice choice but they're very very scarce on the used market and I'm not sure Beseler still makes them new. If they are still made they cost several thousand dollars new.

Labs switching from wet to digital used to be a good source but I think that switch has been complete for several years now. Still, it wouldn't hurt to call labs in your area and see if they have one sitting around that they'd like to sell. Otherwise it's probably a matter of looking on ebay to see what's available and where it's located.

John Powers
8-Nov-2006, 16:18
I think the brand is almost less important than where it's located. Shipping an 8x10 enlarger any distance can be an expensive project.

Because of this be willing to travel a bit to get what you want. A year ago I bought a complete plus a half a Durst 138S on eBay located in Detroit, some four hours from here. I paid a lot but they were from an ophthalmology research center in a big hospital. Can you imagine how clean and functional they were? The 138S is a 5x7 enlarger, but the one I kept has been converted with a 12x12 Aristo cold light head.

I thought I had made a good deal until a Cleveland friend bought a Durst 138S sight unseen last month on eBay in VT for $85. I offered to go with him if we could stop and shoot along the way. He said no and went with only gas stops up and back, 13 hours one way I think he said. Yes it is a lot of work, but the 8x10 you want is not that common. The largest pro photo dealer in Cleveland, Dodds, carried one box of T Max 100 in 4x5 two years ago when I stopped going there.

Thinking of the Besler, when I was researching what I wanted I read that the 8x10 conversion was quite top heavy and a bit unstable. I have no experience and don’t want to start a war with people who like that model. I would just encourage you to do some searching here and at APUG before you make your move.

Good luck,

John Powers

Capocheny
8-Nov-2006, 16:45
My advice would be three-fold:

1. Have some BIG friends available to help you lift and move the thing.
2. Have a BIG truck to pick the thing up and move it in.
3. Have a BIG room to move it into!

One of the local labs here in Vancouver has a 8x10 DeVere enlarger with lenses for sale. It is HUMONGOUS and looks like it woud need a crane to move! I suspect that it would have to be completely dismantled for the move.

They're asking waaaaay too much money for it (CDN$6,000) so we'll have to see what it finally washes out at! :)

Cheers

David G. Gagnon
8-Nov-2006, 19:44
Where are you located?

DG

Jay DeFehr
8-Nov-2006, 20:40
I bought my Fotar 10x10 with 2000watt dichroic head and a full compliment of lenses for les than $1000, shipped from NJ to Idaho. Keep your eyes open, and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for, eventually.

Jay

Hugo Zhang
8-Nov-2006, 21:23
Why?

I moved up to 8x10 because I did NOT want to use an enlarger! There is nothing in this world can compare to an exquisite 8x10 contact print. I can understand if people use enlarger for 4x5 or MF works.

Hugo

cyrus
8-Nov-2006, 23:49
I got my DeVere 108 from a photo printer in NYC that was going out of business. I found out about it on Craigslist. They told me if I could haul it away, I could have it. Total cost $200 - included the 240mm lens and few other items (developing tanks, trays etc.)

Don Sparks
9-Nov-2006, 05:55
Hugo asked why anyone would want an 8x10 enlarger. I bought mine for enlarging 4x10 negatives to 8x20 prints. I also use it for 5x7.

Jay DeFehr
9-Nov-2006, 07:51
I think the answer to Hugo's question is simple; big prints are best made from big negatives, and there's a limit to the size of camera I'm willing to drag around.

Jay

Michael Kadillak
9-Nov-2006, 11:06
Each of us has our own limitations for camera size and desire to enlarge or contact print. If everyone employed the same operating criteria in this medium things would be pretty dull.

Along those lines, I have a marvelous B&W condensor head Durst 10x10 with all of the bells and whistles that is sitting in my Aurora, Colorado basement (Just East of Denver) that I have not used in years.

Unfortunately, I suffer from the same self imposed condition as Hugo.

Cheers!

John Kasaian
9-Nov-2006, 15:07
Hugo,

I agree with you. When I wanted larger contact prints I moved up to a 12x20 camera, but 8x10 remains my favorite format to work with. My Elwood enlarger is for enlarging aerial negatives (8x10, 5x7 & 9-1/2x9-1/2), for murals and occasionally a 16x20 or 20x24 display. While I have a hard time justifying keeping it, the thing has become a photo-mechanical member of the family (Uncle Elwood) along with an Auntie Omega (D-2) At least they don't eat groceries! ;)

Geary Lyons
9-Nov-2006, 16:32
I recently acquired a Durst 184 with color head. Although quite a monster in my darkroom, the design was such that it easily broke down to 3 manageable sections, head & transformer box, upper columns with neg stage, bellows and lens stage and the base with baseboard. I was fortunate to get a unit that had the motorized head and baseboard option. Be prepared to invest a little sweat equity and then enjoy!!

They are out there! Just think of organizations that might have used them and contact them. You may find that they would gladly allow you to give them back the floor space!!

Cheers,
Geary

Jim Ewins
9-Nov-2006, 22:06
I just got my Elwood up and running It's a blast. Why?, because I can.

John Kasaian
9-Nov-2006, 23:48
I just got my Elwood up and running It's a blast. Why?, because I can.

Right on! The details hidden in an 8x10 negative that you can't really see in a contact print are simply amazing when you blow it up to 20x24 and larger.

Herb Cunningham
10-Nov-2006, 12:55
Since my motto is: "Nothing in moderation", I got a complete darkroom from a guy who was quitting large format. In that was a Durst 184 with dichroic head. I went and got it. and have set it up in my darkroom but will probably be selling it in the next six months or so. If you are anywhere near north carolina, you can come look at it and see what is entailed with these big boys. The strength and durability is amazing, but they are a handful to operate, what with the extra fans and the like.

I have two baseboards, one a vacuum easel, and several lenses.

Bob Salomon
10-Nov-2006, 13:26
If you are anywhere near NJ there are Durst and Fotars available in Northern NJ.