PDA

View Full Version : Photographing artwork

Don Wallace
6-Nov-2006, 07:12
I am going to photograph some artwork for a friend (oil paintings with resin glaze - kind of glossy looking). I will probably do a test roll with my MF camera and, if I get it right, use the 4x5. I have never done this before and I will be using only the existing lighting, which is all halogen (Sylvan 90w HaloFLOOD lamps). No daylight. The paintings are on the wall for an exhibit in a gallery and I won't be moving them.

I want to shoot with reversal. Any suggestions as to what film? Any other tips that might be useful?

darr
6-Nov-2006, 09:55
First you need to figure out what the color temperature is for the lights and then use the appropriate film and filters (if necessary) for daylight or tungsten balance. As far as the removal of possible reflective light from the paintings being photographed, in a studio/copy stand situation I have used polarizers on the lights, but in your case it sounds like it may not be possible. Try your medium format first with a circular polarizer and daylight slide film to see what you actually capture and then make adjustments.

robc
6-Nov-2006, 10:17
read this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16662&highlight=photographing+artwork)