PDA

View Full Version : Study in Chicago Area

Norm Buchanan
5-Nov-2006, 07:52
I have reached the point where I am having a difficult time "growing" as a photographer, or into a photographer, on my own. I practice, read, practice, read, .... but feel like I am not improving. I think it is time to get more serious and either take some courses or find someone to help me improve. I live in the Chicago area and have a full time career so I can't attend college full time. I have looked into the College of Dupage but their program seems geared toward people persuing a career in photography, which isn't really what I want. I am really looking to "open more creative doors" so that I can make photographs that I am proud of.

When I was younger and studying music I worked with various private instructors in addition to formal study. I wonder if such a path is common in studying photography? I am really feeling quite frustrated and desparate. I am wondering how others have gotten past this point and if there are any suggestions to approaches to study. Thanks.

Louie Powell
5-Nov-2006, 08:19
Norm -

The experience you are having is not unusual, especially for people who are perceptive about their own capabilities and serious about their art.

There are a couple of options you could explore. One is to find a coach who you could meet with occasionally to show and discuss your work, and who would challenge you to do things that you might not do yourself.

Another thought would be to find a few other people who find themselves in a similar situation, and used each other as peer mentors. This might be easier to do than finding a coach, but you would need to recognized and consciously try to avoid falling into the 'herd mentality' trap in which the participants end up emulating each other rather than focusing on their own vision.