PDA

View Full Version : Need Industrial Location near Hamilton, Ont on Nov 14

Frank Petronio
4-Nov-2006, 11:43
I have a little project that I am cooking up and am wondering if any of the folks from Southern Ontario might have a good industrial location for photographing a model with large format B&W? Abandoned factories and that sort of thing. Think steampunk...

I apologize for what I said earlier about your Postal Service and I really do think the Queen is terrific.

Sheldon N
4-Nov-2006, 12:38
I apologize for what I said earlier about your Postal Service and I really do think the Queen is terrific.

LOL!

Frank, you make this forum a great place to be. :)

snuck
4-Nov-2006, 13:31
I have a little project that I am cooking up and am wondering if any of the folks from Southern Ontario might have a good industrial location for photographing a model with large format B&W? Abandoned factories and that sort of thing. Think steampunk...

Now if that isn't hilarious, I don't know what is.... About abandoned.. I am aware of a place in Toronto, but you have to be willing to hop fences and brave one homeless person. It's a brick factory in Toronto. It's somewhat holocaust looking. with megakilns... This is of course not Hamilton, but close I guess... You'd be suprised... there are probably more abandoned factories in buffalo than there are in southern ontario. That said, if you do come down, I'd like to join up and watch.

Sheldon N
4-Nov-2006, 13:42
Now if that isn't hilarious, I don't know what is.... About abandoned.. I am aware of a place in Toronto, but you have to be willing to hop fences and brave one homeless person. It's a brick factory in Toronto. It's somewhat holocaust looking. with megakilns... This is of course not Hamilton, but close I guess... You'd be suprised... there are probably more abandoned factories in buffalo than there are in southern ontario. That said, if you do come down, I'd like to join up and watch.

Is it the same as this place?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/locations/brickworks.shtml

snuck
4-Nov-2006, 15:11
Is it the same as this place?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/locations/brickworks.shtml

yup, no scoops here...

Frank Petronio
4-Nov-2006, 20:08
Does anyone have any current info about the LL Brickworks (on BayView) -- maybe contact me off-list? Thanks

Hans Berkhout
4-Nov-2006, 22:39
Frank could you please repeat the apology, printed in capitals, tx. Saying you're sorry is an old Canadian custom, sure you mean it?
And bring a short statue model, our igloos have a rather low ceiling.

Ron Marshall
5-Nov-2006, 09:02
Frank, this site has links to a few industrial locations in the Hamilton/Toronto corridor. I'm not sure how many still exist.

http://invisiblethreads.com/potd/collections/galleries.php?PHPSESSID=8ef1eea2363848317dfd202175d890a9

Frank Petronio
17-Nov-2006, 22:20
Had a nice visit thanks to Victor. But this girl kept getting in the way of my documentary photos, she really messed them up...

snuck
17-Nov-2006, 22:25
Glad that you had fun Frank, it was fun breaking in with you -and tossing the tripod. I'm still futzing away at my pics, so I'll post them if they turn out.

Jack Flesher
18-Nov-2006, 08:08
Very nice shots Frank! Call me crazy, but I think the girl actually adds a little...

:D,

BrianShaw
18-Nov-2006, 12:35
Yes Frank, those shots really are messed up. Why did you waste the film?

snuck
19-Nov-2006, 13:43
Frank's disease is contagious.. Unfortunately my shots REALLY ARE screwed up.. I have a process control problem in my darkroom I think. (It's not really a darkroom either, but a corner of the basement). I have pinholed film, and dust that comes out of nowhere.. blech. Add to that odd artifacts that are probably there by virtue of a lack of a shutter on my lens. This was created by using the Perkin Rayment Optimus again. I have to get used to the softness of this thing when wide open...

Jim Rice
19-Nov-2006, 16:12
Oh, the horror.

Frank Petronio
19-Nov-2006, 21:10
I like Victor's versions better than mine actually. The distress is something some people are trying to acheive... if you got it 100% pristine and perfect then it would just look like you did the blur in Photoshop. These shots look like you did them without a shutter, with a 100+ year old lens. So don't be so hard on yourself - embrace the funkiness of it.

Frank Petronio
19-Nov-2006, 21:12
Oh, BTW, you realize you included a subconscious phallic symbol in the first shot... very interesting says the Doctor... ;)

snuck
19-Nov-2006, 21:42
heh thanks Frank. phallic symbol eh? it looks even worse in real life, because if you examine the pic, the double-exposure of the conveyer belt (notice that curiously enough SHE isn't double exposed), gives the entire composition this back and forth movement. All in all a weird effect.

the entire thing is that it is a debate. On one hand you do LF photography to get the higher definition. Up close and unscanned, my contact prints have SERIOUS technical problems that are quite obvious. For instance in the second portrait, the focus could be better -although I think that's possibly some of the natural soft that the optimus has. I get worried though... what's the point in using LF film if you can't even focus. I'll let you be the judge, as I used the lens at several apertures in this thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20362&page=3&highlight=optimus
As you can see, the lens can do sharp.. however that day was dark, so I took it wide open.

On the other hand, you do analogue photography arguably, to get away from the clinical sharpness and picture perfection of digital. In any case I will release these as scans, but I'm pretty uncomfortable going any larger...

I think that I seriously need to pump more cash into the darkroom, and or effort at cleaning out the basement... ah well.. time time. In the meantime, I am enjoying the weirdness of the pic, and the chiaroscuro of the portrait.