PDA

View Full Version : Filthy 545 cleaning tips?

walter23
3-Nov-2006, 20:28
I picked one of these up today for a bargain price without really knowing much about how it functions or what to check out. After a bit more inspection I think I've figured it out, but I've also discovered that it's quite gummy inside. The two metal rollers have a bunch of dried on goo, which I think I can figure out how to clean (I did notice the catch mechanism that lets you separate them). They are otherwise smooth and turn easily.

The bigger problem though is the rubber light-blocking roller thing with the ridges on it at the entrance to the holder. This was originally glued to the part of the holder "below" it by dried up goo; I pulled it free. Now it's just gummed up between some of the ridges, and doesn't turn very smoothly (it takes a lot of force to turn it actually, which I presume would make it hard if not impossible to slip film in and out). Any hints for cleaning it? Overall it seems to be in fine shape except for all the very old goo all over everything. I'm thinking about attacking it with drugstore isopropanol or maybe some ethanol from the lab.

Have you got any suggestions? From the looks of things it hasn't been used for a very very long time, maybe 10 years. The ridged rubber roller is not in perfect shape but I think it will perform it's function okay if I can get it turning smoothly (if indeed that's what it should be doing).

matthew blais
3-Nov-2006, 21:42
This thread has the link to a pdf on cleaning from Polaroid.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19176

Alan Rabe
4-Nov-2006, 05:38
You also might try
http://www.skgrimes.com/about/545/index.htm

walter23
4-Nov-2006, 09:59
Great, thanks. I appreciate the pointers.

Frank Petronio
4-Nov-2006, 12:03
A lot of pros have 2-3 545s on hand for when the first one breaks down...

walter23
4-Nov-2006, 12:36
A lot of pros have 2-3 545s on hand for when the first one breaks down...

Fortunately I'm not a pro ;)

I'll try to clean it and if I can't get it working I'll return it. I got it from a reputable shop.

Terence Patrick
6-Nov-2006, 12:22
You also might try
http://www.skgrimes.com/about/545/index.htm

Thanks for posting that, I was able to repair my 545's spring that latches onto the end of the Polaroid pack.

Alan Rabe
6-Nov-2006, 12:47
No problem, It was given to me by another and I just passed it on.
That's what this place is all about.:)

walter23
8-Nov-2006, 14:53
Well, I think I got the thing repaired. There was a crack in the plastic (didn't realize there was plastic on this thing) in one corner which I glued with cyanoacrylate superglue, and I found a couple of springy-metal "V" shaped things inside which I guess must be broken off film pack ends. I haven't bought any film yet so this is a guess based on some forum searching and the fact that I couldn't find them on the parts list at skgrimes. I think it's in good order now. Will buy some film and test it out.

Thanks again for the help. It turned out I was able to clean everything up with a cotton rag and spit. Don't worry - I won't be selling this in the classifieds ;)

Deniz Merdanogullari
10-Nov-2006, 00:22
I hate How-tos with crappy photographs. If i needed help with my 545 i would be pissed, considering im a very visual learner.

David A. Goldfarb
10-Nov-2006, 06:11
I think it's probably two years ago now that a bunch of APUG types had a get together in Asbury Park, NJ, and one of our number was just beginning to experiment with LF.

He had a 545 back that he had been using for making Polaroid transfers, so he bought some Type 55, and I lent him a 4x5" camera. He was wondering why he was getting mottled skies. Sure enough, he hadn't realized that you have to clean the rollers occasionally, and they were caked with Polaroid gunk.

So this scruffy looking old guy, maybe homeless, is watching us and he happens to have a bottle of alcohol and a Ziplock bag of Q-tips in his knapsack, and this saved the day!