PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Knobs

Kirk Gittings
2-Nov-2006, 19:16
A reference to sticky knobs on another thread reminded me of this. After 3 decades of fighting with sticky knobs on field cameras, I finally found something that works like a charm, dry but slick. Pedros Ice Wax. 2 onces will last a lifetime, as I only have to put a drop on every lock knob about every two years. I have been using it now for going on 8 years.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11357-155_PEDIW2-2-Accessories-26-Cleaners-and-Lubricants/Pedro%27s-Ice-Wax-Chain-Lube-offerIN050MTP.htm?zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=17&zmap=11357

Peter Lewin
2-Nov-2006, 19:55
Thanks, Kirk, I love finding new uses for old products! I'm probably not the only cyclist who now will use his favorite chain lube on his LF camera...

Kirk Gittings
2-Nov-2006, 20:04
Peter, That's how I got onto it. I am an avid bicyclist.

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2006, 21:04
It is only Pedros or any of the good wax lubes then? I use a bike wax on my Gitzo legs, etc. anything that gets exposed to dirt (like a bike chain).

Kirk Gittings
2-Nov-2006, 21:11
Frank, Good question. I 'm not sure what else is out there that uses the same technology. Pedros was the first and the only lube of its type I have used.

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2006, 21:53
I think Pedros is a good brand, a small company, but the other companies have similar stuff. Anything that is a dry lube I guess.

PViapiano
2-Nov-2006, 21:53
Hmmm....I wonder if it would help some slight binding I occasionally feel on my Ebony 45s movements? Or would it just get gunk where I don't want it?

Kirk Gittings
2-Nov-2006, 22:21
All I do is put some on a toothpick and spread it lightly on the inside of the knob where it tightens down, let it dry and walla! It works superbly on my Zone ZI. I don't see why it wouldn't work on an Ebony

Alan Rabe
3-Nov-2006, 09:55
Hi Kirk,
I just went and bought a bottle and tried it out, it works great. I also took a QTip and applied some to the rails, they used to be a little tight but now run smooth as silk. Since it dries to a wax I doubt I'll have a problem with grit but if so another application should clean it up. So the bottle goes in my first aid kit.

Ernest Purdum
3-Nov-2006, 16:52
This is the kind of thread that I love to see.