PDA

View Full Version : my 2nd lens

false_Aesthetic
2-Nov-2006, 10:23
Hi,

I'm thinking that its time to buy a longer lens.

I've only used a 120 angulon for 4x5. I'd like to buy a 210.

My problem is that I have no idea what the difference is between a CALTAR HR, APO SYMMAR MC, FUJINON-L, NIKKOR-W COPAL, SINARON-S MC, SYMMAR-S MC, GERONAR MC (all avail. at KEH undr $400) or any other lenses.

(Most of these are 5.6. the Geronar MC is 6.8.)

I don't get why some are more expensive than others etc.

----

This is my wishlist for a lens (most important is at top):

1) under $400.
2) 5.6 - 6.8
3) multicoated . . . I shoot color and b/w.
4) small.... not tall or long . . . I'm not sure how to explain this. I don't care about weight I care about cramming stuff into a bag and walking around Boston.
5) movements.

----

Anyone have thoughts of what I should be looking at?

Thanks

TommieT (the newbie)

dyuhas
2-Nov-2006, 11:03
When I was researching which lenses to buy I relied on the information at:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses4x5.html

Dave

Dave_B
2-Nov-2006, 11:08
Tommie:
View Camera magazine has a series of CD's you can buy that give a lot of detail on many aspects of LF photography. In particular, there is one that is a compilation of years of published articles on lenses, many written by members of this forum. Personally, I have found this CD to be the best and most compact source of information on LF lenses, past and present. I recommend it to you as a way to get started.
Good luck,
Dave B.

squiress
2-Nov-2006, 11:08
I would also go to www.camerareview.com and then look at the lens comparison section. It covers most modern lenses nicely with regard to shutter size, lens weight, filter size (try to keep the same as your first lens), and coverage.

Stew

David Karp
2-Nov-2006, 11:55
My problem is that I have no idea what the difference is between a CALTAR HR, APO SYMMAR MC, FUJINON-L, NIKKOR-W COPAL, SINARON-S MC, SYMMAR-S MC, GERONAR MC (all avail. at KEH undr $400) or any other lenses.

I believe the Caltar HR was made in Japan for Calumet Photographic. I can't remember who made it, but there was an article by Kerry Thalmann in View Camera a few years ago that covers the history of Caltar lenses. It was not made by Fuji or Nikon, of that I am sure.

The APO Symmar and Symmar S were made by Schneider. The APO version is the more recent. I believe it should be multicoated. The Symmar S may or may not be multicoated, but I believe that if it is it will say so on the lens barrel. These are by all repute very good lenses.

The Fujinon L is single coated. It is a simpler design than all but the Geronar. It is 4 elements in 3 groups - a Tessar type design. Some people really like Tessars. They are usually very sharp at the center, but they have smaller image circles than the more complex lens designs. I have a tessar type Nikkor 300M that I like a lot.

The Nikkor W will be multicoated in all instances I believe. It is also a very good lens. This version was their most recent design for a 210.

The Geronar MC is a small, lightweight, multicoated lens. It is a simple 3 element design. The image circle is smaller than the more complex designs (Symmars, Nikkor W, Sinaraon), but it will cover 5x7. A version of this is also sold by Calumet as a Caltar II-E. I have one of these and like it.

The Sinaron S is a rebranded version of a Rodenstock lens. I am not sure how long they sold these, but it is likely to be a twin of the Rodenstock APO Sironar N. This is also a more complex design than the Geronar or Fujinon L, and a very nice lens. These were also sold as Caltar II-N by Calumet. I have one of these and like it.

Another viable alternative is a 210 Fujinon W. This is an older lens, but my experience with a couple of shorter focal lengths in this series is very good. They often sell for less than other lenses, making them a good deal.

Try calling Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com). He is a straight shooter and will help you pick out the right lens for you. His used prices are great, and the lenses I have bought from him all looked and operated like new.

Ron Marshall
2-Nov-2006, 12:12
Generally, you pay for a larger image circle, which permits greater movements, and wider maximum aperture.

Since weight is not a concern, go for a recent f5.6 from Rodenstock (Caltar), Schneider, Nikon or Fuji. The big ones will still fit in a pocket.

I just had a look at KEH. When you consider their price look to see if the description says "with caps", since buying caps will add at least $20 to the price.

KEH has a Nikon W 210mm f5.6 @ $364 Ex+ 460 grams, and a Caltar II-N (Rodenstock Sironar N) for $399 Ex+, 440 grams. I have purchased many items from KEH. They tend to be very honest and conservative in their ratings.

A 210 f5.6 sold on this site a few weeks ago for $200. Be patient, you often see them on APUG for around $300.

Matus Kalisky
2-Nov-2006, 12:20
Well - my 2 cents - I have a Fujinon 125/5.6 CMW which is very nice and my second lens is Caltar II-E 210/6.8 MC (Rodenstock Geronar) which I bought via eBay from Calumet - it was a demo version so it was practicaly brand new - but I payed more for it that I would do today. Anyhow - it works nicely for me. You sould be able to get anice one for ~ $150 - 200. But you can also pick up for even less some nice Kodak Ektar 203/7.7 which is single coated but seems to be very popular.

good luck and enjoy - it is always nice to get a new toy :)

Matus

Sheldon N
2-Nov-2006, 12:24
I believe the Caltar HR was made in Japan for Calumet Photographic. I can't remember who made it, but there was an article by Kerry Thalmann in View Camera a few years ago that covers the history of Caltar lenses. It was not made by Fuji or Nikon, of that I am sure.

I believe it was made by Topcon. I had one for a short while, and it was nice enough. I've since changed to a Caltar II-N, which is the Rodenstock made lens.

I'd recommend choosing a 210mm f/5.6 lens in the following makes: Fujinon W (look for lettering on the outside of the lens barrel), Rodenstock Sironar N, APO Sironar N or Caltar II-N (all basically the same lens), Schneider Symmar-S Multicoated, or the Nikkor W series. All of the above would meet your criteria and be excellent lenses within your price range.

At mpex or KEH these would probably run around $350. If you are familiar enough with Ebay to make an informed purchase from a reputable seller, then you could easily get one of the above lenses for under $250, perhaps even under $200. There are a lot that have sold at this price in the last month.

John Kasaian
3-Nov-2006, 22:58
Its 203mm and f/7.7, but IMHO the Kodak Ektar is a worthy alternative to the 210mm and good examples will cost you about a buck/mm.

David Karp
4-Nov-2006, 12:05
I was looking at MPEX.com for myself and noticed that Jim has a lot of used 210mm lenses in stock from Rodenstock, Fuji, Nikon, and Schneider. This includes Symmar-S and APO-Symmar, Fujinon W and CM-W, Nikkor W, Sironar N and Caltar II-N. Prices range from $295 and up. This might be a good time to give him a call.