PDA

View Full Version : Mounting barrel lenses...

PViapiano
1-Nov-2006, 22:45
Hi all...

After reading posts by many using old lenses, I got to wondering how these lenses are mounted if you're not using a shutter?

I've read about "iris holders" but don't know what they are. I'd love to find out more...

Are there any sites showing how barrel mounting is done or sites where I can look at these iris holders?

Thanks...just trying to learn more!

Paul

snuck
1-Nov-2006, 22:56
Really mounting lenses is just a big exercise in making lensboards yourself, then drilling a hole just tight enough to fit to the threads of the barrel lens. At first I was using oak, but found the lens boards exploding along the grain from the stress of being stretched by the lens. I hear that plywood works better however. That's how I get them on the camera... after that, I've been currently using a 'Jim Galli shutter' (waving darkslides in front of the lens. But I will soon move up to using what's called a Packard Shutter.... mounted on the front of the lens.

Cheers

william linne
1-Nov-2006, 23:30
Fuck all that. Just get an iris universal lens mount. It's a big iris that closes down over any lens, forming a light tight seal and obviating the need for individual lens boards. You can get a packard or luc shutter or a fucking hat and you are set.

W.

Oren Grad
2-Nov-2006, 00:38
After reading posts by many using old lenses, I got to wondering how these lenses are mounted if you're not using a shutter?

Paul, most barrel lenses were supplied with a matching threaded flange. The flange is mounted on the lensboard with a set of small screws, and then the lens is screwed into the flange. Here are some crude little digisnaps I just made of an example from my collection - this one's a 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 B&L Tessar Ic on a 6" Eastman board.

snuck
2-Nov-2006, 04:59
Fuck all that. Just get an iris universal lens mount. It's a big iris that closes down over any lens, forming a light tight seal and obviating the need for individual lens boards. You can get a packard or luc shutter or a fucking hat and you are set.

W.

Except you have to win the ebay auction... which means $$$$$. people have been jamming lenses for years and years, it's nothing revolutionary Having the universal lens mount is nice, but it's not necessary, and plywood is cheaper.

Dan Fromm
2-Nov-2006, 05:06
But why do without a shutter? Lens on board on Speed Graphic is one way to get timed exposures with a lens in barrel. Another is front mounting, but an adapter to hold a lens in front of a shutter is rarely cheap.