PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao and Fuji Quickload?

SVoss
31-Oct-2006, 12:57
I've recently received my Shen-Hao from Badger Graphics along with a Fuji Quickload film holder and have had a bit of an issue. It seems to me that the notches on the edges of the Quickload don't line up with the pressure plates (not sure if that's what they're called) that slide down and hold the ground glass/film holders. As such, the quickload back doesn't feel completely secure.

Any idea on how to possibly remedy this? I just tried using the traditional fidelity elite film holders that came with the camera and they seem to fit in fine, but it's still difficult to get them really snug, they're easy to jiggle back and forth which doesn't seem like a good thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This is my first post, I work as a photojournalist in Washington, DC and have been wanting to add LF to my repetoire for a long time.

best,
Stephen

Scott Davis
31-Oct-2006, 13:05
Stephen-

I've got a Shen Hao myself, and I live in DC. We've got a fairly active little DC area LF club going, and we'd love to have another LF shooter along. If you'd like to get together and diagnose your Shen Hao problem, shoot me a line and I'll be glad to bring mine along and compare them.

Amund BLix Aaeng
31-Oct-2006, 13:49
I've recently received my Shen-Hao from Badger Graphics along with a Fuji Quickload film holder and have had a bit of an issue. It seems to me that the notches on the edges of the Quickload don't line up with the pressure plates (not sure if that's what they're called) that slide down and hold the ground glass/film holders. As such, the quickload back doesn't feel completely secure.

Any idea on how to possibly remedy this? I just tried using the traditional fidelity elite film holders that came with the camera and they seem to fit in fine, but it's still difficult to get them really snug, they're easy to jiggle back and forth which doesn't seem like a good thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This is my first post, I work as a photojournalist in Washington, DC and have been wanting to add LF to my repetoire for a long time.

best,
Stephen

You`re not removing the groundglass to insert the Quickload holder are you?
Use it as a regular film holder(insert behind GG) and don`t worry.

Gordon Moat
31-Oct-2006, 14:10
While the Fuji Quickload holder does have slots, I don't see why you would want to use it that way. If you leave the ground glass in place, rather than removing it, the spring pressure should be quite sufficient to hold the Fuji Quickload holder in position. There is no reason to use the spring pressure of the ground glass and the graflocks.

When you are doing vertically framed images, try aligning the ground glass and back with the opening at the top of the camera, rather than pointed down. Then no worries about your film holder falling out, or you pulling the packet sleave dislodging the holder. As long as the ridge on the holder is seated into the slot on the camera, the holder should not come loose.

Just as a side comment on working with Readyload or Quickload holders, these are currently the only holder systems I use under the ground glass spring back. The other holders I use, which use the graflock locking tabs, are a Linhof Super Rollex 120 film holder, and a Polaroid 405 pack film holder. I have left the Readyload/Quickload holder in the back of the Shen-Hao HZX45A-II while walking around urban environments, carrying the camera by the leather strap; nothing has ever come loose. If the holder is seated with the ridge in the slot, the spring pressure should be more than enough to keep things in place.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

dyuhas
31-Oct-2006, 17:22
Don't worry about it. I've had my Shen-Hao and Quickload holder since March. I've never had a problem.

Dave

SVoss
1-Nov-2006, 09:41
Thank you for the many kind replies, I'm a little embarrassed that I still can't seem to figure this out.

Here's a photo of the back of the camera:
http://www.mformat.com/fto/lformat/lf104_7.jpg

There's two parts that connect to the back of the camera - (1) the ground glass (in the wooden frame) which attaches to the (2) wooden piece that has those black metal pieces (on the left and right). That (2) piece in turn attaches to the camera.

My assumption was that I remove the ground glass (in wooden frame) piece and put the quickload there and use those black metal piece to secure it. Am I way off in how I'm approaching this?

Apologies for my ignorance on this, picking up a new camera format has been a bit of a struggle.

best,
Stephen

snuck
1-Nov-2006, 09:51
Wouldn't worry about it, there's a first time for everything....

see the two tabs up at the back of the camera on top? In your picture you can see them right below your handle on the back fo the camera. They're on either side of the ground glass.If you gently pull them away from the camera, the wood assembly for the ground glass should create a gap while the spring steel holds the back in place. What you do is slide the short end of the quickload holder into this gap and push it in until it stops. The ground glass and wood assembly along with the springs should hold the thing in place.

On an off note, anybody know what the last verdict was between shen haos and grafmatics? Will they fit one or not?

Cheers

Scott Davis
1-Nov-2006, 11:33
Thank you for the many kind replies, I'm a little embarrassed that I still can't seem to figure this out.

Here's a photo of the back of the camera:
http://www.mformat.com/fto/lformat/lf104_7.jpg

There's two parts that connect to the back of the camera - (1) the ground glass (in the wooden frame) which attaches to the (2) wooden piece that has those black metal pieces (on the left and right). That (2) piece in turn attaches to the camera.

My assumption was that I remove the ground glass (in wooden frame) piece and put the quickload there and use those black metal piece to secure it. Am I way off in how I'm approaching this?

Apologies for my ignorance on this, picking up a new camera format has been a bit of a struggle.

best,
Stephen

Stephen-

you don't need to remove the Ground Glass and frame from the camera to use the QuickLoad - insert it just like you would a normal film holder. If this is causing you a problem, you CAN remove the ground glass holder frame and use the Graflok tabs to hold the Quickload holder in place, but that should not be necessary. Your ground glass holder frame may be a little tight because your springs are new, but they should break in with a bit of use and be fine.

SVoss
1-Nov-2006, 12:21
Many thanks to everyone who has responded to this, your patient explanations finally got me in sync with how the back works and wow, what an easier way to do make a picture then taking off the ground glass back every time.

I appreciate everyone's time on this and will try to post some pics from my new LF project once I get going.

best,
Stephen

Gordon Moat
1-Nov-2006, 12:51
Okay, found an article with a picture that might help. The article is in French, but simply scroll down to the last picture:

http://www.galerie-photo.com/shen-hao-hzx45.html

The flipped to the side item is the viewing hood, which is an optional part. Anyway, the important part is a newer Kodak Readyload holder (similar system to Fuji Quickload) that is under the ground glass.

http://www.galerie-photo.com/images/Photo_shen-hao_no_11.jpg

The ground glass and springs hold everything tight and in place. As someone else mentioned, when the camera is new, the spring pressure seems a bit too much. It gets easier as you use the camera more, though maybe just because you get more use to it.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

SVoss
3-Nov-2006, 11:41
Gordon,
Thanks for this reply, I'm thankful to all the members of the forum who led this newbie through learning the basics of a new piece of equipment. Once election season's over, I'll have a little spare time to experiment.

best,
Stephen