PDA

View Full Version : Toning for dummies

Jim Rice
29-Oct-2006, 20:20
I anticipate contact printing on Azo and then Lodima in Amidol. I will want as neutral a color as possible, and I have never, ever toned a print. Of course, I'm looking for archival properties perhaps more than a tone. Anyone want to point me in a direction? Thanks.

Brian Ellis
30-Oct-2006, 20:13
What's Lodima (other than Amidol spelled backwards)?

AZO developed in Amidol has a faint greenish cast out of the fix. You'll want to selenium tone to eliminate that if for no other reason. There used to be an article about this on Michael Smith's web site, you might check to see if it's still there. He suggests toning at a very high dilution IIRC, something like 1:100.

Oren Grad
30-Oct-2006, 20:25

Brian, Lodima is the Azo replacement paper that Michael Smith has been working on; it's not yet available for purchase.

D. Bryant
30-Oct-2006, 21:53

AZO developed in Amidol has a faint greenish cast out of the fix. You'll want to selenium tone to eliminate that if for no other reason. There used to be an article about this on Michael Smith's web site, you might check to see if it's still there. He suggests toning at a very high dilution IIRC, something like 1:100.

I must be doing something wrong with the AZO prints I've developed in Amidol. Mine have never had a greenish cast - rather quite neutral.

Don Bryant

paulr
31-Oct-2006, 09:12
I must be doing something wrong with the AZO prints I've developed in Amidol. Mine have never had a greenish cast - rather quite neutral.

Don Bryant

there are many different amidol formulas. the color cast may have to do with the amount of restrainer/anti fog agent in the formula, and also the formulas alkalinity.

Dan Jolicoeur
3-Nov-2006, 12:04
I split tone my prints with selenium and then gold. Personally I don't think there is any archival effects of toning, What so ever. The best archival means can be obtained from a proper wash. Technically the toning could actually make the print less archival if the print is not washed correctly? I tone for for esthetics only, but have used the archival words for it makes me feel better after the expense!
Dan