PDA

View Full Version : Ebony SV45TE or the SV45U2

Dave_B
29-Oct-2006, 20:00
All:
I am wondering if the asymmetrical tilts on the Ebony camera are worth the extra cost. I would be interested if anyone has experience with both the SV45TE and the SV45U2. I have read some of the threads on the Ebony and there are comments that the asymmetric tilts are not very smooth and that the titanium binds. Primary use will be landscapes out west.
Thanks,
Dave B.

Eric James
29-Oct-2006, 20:14
For a field camera, the SV45U2 movements are smooth. Rear AS tilt glides over a thin sheet of Teflon; rear AS swing isn't quite as smooth but the titanium certainly doesn't bind. Greater maximal extension is another reason to favor the U2 over the TE. Price and weight favor the TE. Good luck with your decision!

Doug Dolde
29-Oct-2006, 22:31
I didn't like the assymetric tilt on a 45SU I had. It does have teflon but I found a sticking point when using just a few degrees tilt.

Now I use Orbix on my Arca Swiss Field and love it. I prefer front tilt to back tilt anyway as it doesnt cause as much delta in the focal distance from top to bottom. This in itself is reason enough for me. The larger delta on back tilt will require a smaller f stop increasing diffraction.

walter23
29-Oct-2006, 22:39
I prefer front tilt to back tilt anyway as it doesnt cause as much delta in the focal distance from top to bottom. This in itself is reason enough for me. The larger delta on back tilt will require a smaller f stop increasing diffraction.

Wait, that makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Unless the movements are different types (axial and base, etc), back tilt (to the rear) is exactly equivalent to the same front tilt forward. Well, I mean, except in that one moves the film plane and one moves the lens plane - but assuming you reoriented the camera.

Am I missing something else here? Or is that what you mean (tilting without changing camera position).

Steve Hamley
30-Oct-2006, 03:37
I'm the one that posted about the asymmetric movements being not smooth, binding. It makes little difference in 4x5, so go with the U/U2. The asymmetric movements are otherwise worth it; you'll buy only once. You can tell the effect is there, but in the small formats it just isn't an issue IMO. If I were going 5x7 ebony wood or larger, I'd either get symmetric movements or right of return after a trial period for an asymmetric model.

BTW, the model with asymmetric movements that correspond to the SV45TE is the SV45U, not the U2, which adds rear shift, a pound, and another $500 (and an inch or so of bellows).

Steve

Ted Harris
30-Oct-2006, 07:02
I'd also ask if the TE is worth the extra cost over the Ti and, for that matter, if you really need the additional features offered by the T series as opposed to the RW?

Herb Cunningham
30-Oct-2006, 11:35
Ted, I had an RW and found it too limiting in bellows. As far as ebony wood vs
mahogany, I could care less.

PViapiano
30-Oct-2006, 14:32
The 45s non-folder is a great all-around camera and has the extra advantage of being able to use all but the widest lenses without a recessed board, although the shorter bellows (270mm) could be a drawback to some. The extension back adds 90mm, and it works great and is made with the same care and craftsmanship as the cameras are.

I don't find any trouble focusing without the asymmetrical movements..

PViapiano
30-Oct-2006, 14:38
To Walter23:

A back tilt (on the film plane, of course) does cause a change in the shape of the image, a slight distortion.

Jack Dykinga mentions this is in his book, Large Format Nature Photography, and can be used to your advantage by emphasizing foreground subjects.

If back tilt is used in conjunction with a corresponding front tilt, as happens many times with architectural photography when the camera is aimed slightly upwards, then the distortion will not occur, as long as the film plane (back) stays parallel to the subject plane.

Dave_B
30-Oct-2006, 20:01
Folks:
Thank you for the information. As always, the willingness of the people on this site to share their expertise is wonderful.
Dave B.

Brian Ellis
30-Oct-2006, 21:23
I'd also ask if the TE is worth the extra cost over the Ti and, for that matter, if you really need the additional features offered by the T series as opposed to the RW?

I owned the Te and Ti. While I didn't like either of them and sold them both within a year, as between the two I preferred the Ti for its lighter weight and what was, for my tastes, a more attractive camera. I considered the RW but there were a few things it didn't have that the T series had. Unfortunately I don't now remember what they were but whatever they were they were sufficiently important to me to justify the higher cost of the Ti/Te.

I didn't give serious thought to the asymetrical back. For the added cost I don't mind a couple iterations of back movements, obviously others differ. But then too, I don't use back movements much, I might have thought differently if I used them all the time.

Robert Skeoch
1-Nov-2006, 16:12
Hi Dave,

Just one more thought on the subject... first let me mention that I'm a dealer in Ebony cameras... so I might be biased.
The SV45Te is the most popular model I sell. I like the SV45U2 but find it hard to justify the extra price for the type of work I do. If you learned large format in the studio and worked with a Sinar, you might find it worth it.
However, I think the deal of the day is the RW45. It's lighter, and has a shorter bellows, but would work for the landscape work that I do.
Surprisingly, to me anyway, is that the RW45 is not more popular. People consider it an entry level camera and it doesn't sell as well. People switching to Ebony's are usually not buying their first view camera but have been wanting to switch for years. When it's time to finally purchase one, they don't get the entry level one but go for more features.
If it was my money, I would either get the RW45 or either the SV45Ti or Te depending on what wood I liked.
Anyway, there really is no right answer, just a lot of great options.... you can't go wrong with any of them.
-Rob Skeoch
www.bigcameraworkshops.com