PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Spotmeter failure (need repairman)

Rafael Garcia
27-Oct-2006, 18:24
I had to go to Gateway Canyons in Colorado (45 min from Grand Junction) on business and, not knowing if I would have enough free time I took my MF Russian Hassie clone with a couple of backs instead of my 5x7 (I will be back, and I will definitely plan on time for the 5x7!). I took my old Pentax Spotmeter (analog) and my Gossen average meter as backup. When I got there and took the Pentax out of my camera bag it was dead. The needle would not react at all, on Low level or on High Level. The battery check would not move the needle either. The batteries are both new, and I tested the 9V and it was strong. The meter did not get bumped (I carried my camera bag in the plane cabin as carry-on luggage). I had dropped it on gravel three days prior, but had used it after that and it was working fine. I had to rely on the Gossen, which, although an old and faithful friend, was not the right tool for the light conditions in the canyon.

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong with the Pentax? Any recommendations on where to send it to get repaired, and a ballpark on cost? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Rafael

Allen Rumme
27-Oct-2006, 18:37
You can try Richard Ritter. I know that Richard works on Pentax digital spotmeters but I'm not sure if he works on the analog models. He does excellent work.

Dan V
27-Oct-2006, 18:43
My initial Pentax spotmeter was the analog version. Fortunately it malfunctioned and forced me to buy the digital version.

Rafael Garcia
27-Oct-2006, 19:18
Great, Dan. I'm happy for you.

David Karp
27-Oct-2006, 20:10
Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, CA. (323) 467-2265. They did a great job on both my Pentax digital and analog meters. Highly recommended. Sorry. Sorry, can't remember how much it cost, but I remember thinking that the cost for service and calibration was reasonable.

Capocheny
27-Oct-2006, 21:29
Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, CA. (323) 467-2265. They did a great job on both my Pentax digital and analog meters. Highly recommended. Sorry. Sorry, can't remember how much it cost, but I remember thinking that the cost for service and calibration was reasonable.

Hi Dave,

Do you have an email address for Quality Light Metric?

And, do they do the calibration ala Zone VI?

Thanks in advance. :)

Cheers

LADP
27-Oct-2006, 22:00
Hi Dave,

Cheers

I don't have an email address to provide you with, but I can tell you that they service and calibrate the meters of just about every motion picture DP and gaffer in Los Angeles (probably most of the U.S.). Most of us have our meters checked and calibrated annually, or nearly so. It's cheap insurance when you make your living with them. You can trust that your meter will come back perfectly accurate. I have a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital spotmeter, and they have been servicing it since I bought it in the early 90's, along with my analog Spectra and my Digital Spectra.

Anthony

Capocheny
28-Oct-2006, 00:42
I don't have an email address to provide you with, but I can tell you that they service and calibrate the meters of just about every motion picture DP and gaffer in Los Angeles (probably most of the U.S.). Most of us have our meters checked and calibrated annually, or nearly so. It's cheap insurance when you make your living with them. You can trust that your meter will come back perfectly accurate. I have a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital spotmeter, and they have been servicing it since I bought it in the early 90's, along with my analog Spectra and my Digital Spectra.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony... :)

Cheers

Rafael Garcia
28-Oct-2006, 05:26
Thanks, David and Anthony. I will call them.

Rafael

Ted Harris
28-Oct-2006, 06:18
If by calibration ala Zone VI you mean checking and replacing the baffles, filters, etc. then the best place to go is Richard Ritter who works specifically on Zone VI modified Pentax and Soliger meters. You can find Richard at www.lg4mat.net. He has been having computer problems and a phone call is the best way to get him 1-802-365-7807. Richard actually did the work for Zone VI when they were still around.

David Karp
28-Oct-2006, 08:18
Hi Dave,

Cheers

Here is the snail mail address: 7095 Hollywood Blvd., Ste 550, Los Angeles, CA 90028. Don't know if they have an e-mail address. The mail address is a mail box drop, not their actual location. They closed that their "retail" location a while ago. This is the place for mailing or drop off and pick up. For drop off they will have you sign a log for Quality Light Metric, and give you a receipt for your meter. I dropped my digital spot (non-Zone VI) one morning, and got it back the next day, along with a description of exactly what they did to the meter. As far as whether they handle baffles and filters, etc., I don't know. They are easy to deal with and very friendly, so I would give them a call.

Capocheny
28-Oct-2006, 16:39
Here is the snail mail address: 7095 Hollywood Blvd., Ste 550, Los Angeles, CA 90028. Don't know if they have an e-mail address. The mail address is a mail box drop, not their actual location. They closed that their "retail" location a while ago. This is the place for mailing or drop off and pick up. For drop off they will have you sign a log for Quality Light Metric, and give you a receipt for your meter. I dropped my digital spot (non-Zone VI) one morning, and got it back the next day, along with a description of exactly what they did to the meter. As far as whether they handle baffles and filters, etc., I don't know. They are easy to deal with and very friendly, so I would give them a call.

Thanks Dave... :)

I wouldn't mind getting my meter adjusted ala Zone VI.

Cheers

David Karp
29-Oct-2006, 22:42
No problem you guys. I hope you have as good an experience with QLM as I have had.

Ted Harris
30-Oct-2006, 07:08
HDC, jsut remember that "getting my meter adjusted ala Zone VI, may not be something that QLM can do. It requires changing the baffling and filter inside the meter. No tthat they aren't capable (they have repaired a lot of Weston meters for me over many years) just that they may not have the specs and they may not want to stomp on Calumet's exclusive rights to use the name, etc.

Unfortunately, while Calumet still advertises they make the Zone VI modification I don't believe they have delivered any in nearly a year (maybe longer). If you hve a Zone VI meter Richard can bring it back up to spec but he unfortunately can't/won't do mods to meters as long as Calaumet still claims to do so .... part of their Zone VI buyout agreement.

Kirk Gittings
30-Oct-2006, 16:59
Ted, They still offer it. A couple of years ago they had the parts back ordered and could not deliver the modifications for awhile, but maybe that has cleared up.

Capocheny
31-Oct-2006, 01:18
Hi Ted,

Yes, what you say makes a lot of sense... especially if there's a legal restriction to give Calumet the legal rights as part of the buyout agreement.

Kirk,

I guess the only thing I can do is to contact Calumet and ask them the question directly. I'll report back once I hear from them.

Cheers

Rafael Garcia
31-Oct-2006, 04:34
Well, Mr. Ritter is ignoring my e-mail, so the L.A. people get called next!

Ted Harris
31-Oct-2006, 06:38
Rafael,

I believe I noted above that his email and server are down and you should telephone him .... phone is usually the best way to get Richard anyway. 1-802-365-7807.

Rafael Garcia
31-Oct-2006, 21:27
He did respond after all...

Rafael Garcia
10-Nov-2006, 10:16
Just received my meter back from Quality Light Metric, in fine working order and calibrated. The repair was immediate (involved mechanical linkage) and the shipping was very prompt and safe. Cost was reasonable at $40.00 for parts and $60.00 for service. Their communications were frequent and perfect. I received, and patiently listened to because it was well deserved, the lecture on how not to mistreat the meter by dropping it or subjecting it to shock.

I could not have a higher opinion of their service than I hold now. I heartily recommend their services. Thanks for the referral. Their information follows:

Quality Light Metric
7095 Holywood Boulevard, Suite 550
Los Angeles, CA 90028-8903

(213)467-2265