PDA

View Full Version : What Gitzo Tripod?

Hugh Sakols
27-Oct-2006, 07:36
I'm looking for a new tripod that will support a horseman VHR or a bronica SQa with a 500mm lens. My current Bogen (similar to the 3001)doesn't really cut it for the long medium format lens - the images just aren't sharp. Of course I'd like a carbon fiber tripod but refuse to pay the cash. What would be a good Gitzo Aluminum tripod that would support my cameras?

Ron Marshall
27-Oct-2006, 07:52
The 1320 holds 22 pounds and is about $350 new. A friend of mine has the CF model, and it is rock solid.

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Oct-2006, 08:04
Also, look at the Giottos tripods, they have CF models that are a lot less expensive. Also, the Manfrotto CF models are worth taking a look at, they too are less then Gitzo and are high quality.

Peter Lewin
27-Oct-2006, 08:52
Can I expand on the original poster's question without hijacking the thread? My question is, beyond naming a specific model, how do you make the decision itself? Other threads on this subject have many posters who travel with, or backpack with, models in Gitzo's "Reporter" (Series 2) range, for example the CF 1227/1257 models. Others seem to feel these are too light, choose to carry about 1 lb more, and recommend the light end of the Series 3 range, often the CF 1325. If I (or any other with the same question) know that our 4x5s are in the 4-5 lb range and that a lens adds about 1 lb, how do you choose between models (be they Giottos, Gitzos, Bogens, etc.)?

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Oct-2006, 09:43
Well, I carry the CF1227 for my 4X5 and it is excellent.

I think you have to rely on recommendations from photographers whose work or word you respect, product reviews, product reputation, your budget etc. It is tough since often you can't just go to your local camera store ( if any exist anymore) and see all the products.

Brian Ellis
27-Oct-2006, 10:31
I have a Gitzo G320 aluminum tripod. I don't know if it's made any more but if it is it would support your cameras just fine. Mine is rock solid, I used it as my 8x10 tripod when I had an 8x10 camera. The problem with the Gitzo aluminum tripods is that they're very heavy relative to their support ratings. I haven't used mine in years (though I don't want to sell it). You might take a look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods. They've received excellent reviews and sell for a fraction of the price of Gitzos. I presently have one on order for my digital camera.

Frank Petronio
27-Oct-2006, 11:04
The aluminum Gitzo 326 is the tallest, four section 3-series tripod they made. I sold one for about $180 a couple of weeks ago. It held an 8x10 but was best with a 4x5 or smaller.

The CF tripods are nice but one point for the metal ones is that you can toss them around and the legs don't get knicked and cracked and broken. I tend to carry my tripods and light stands together, so things "rub" and crunch. I wouldn't throw a CF tripod into the same bag with all that other stuff, nor would I even want to check it at the airport if I could help it.

Also, they are heavy enough not to blow over. That's a good thing.

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Oct-2006, 11:11
I avoid the problem of getting the legs banged up on my CF by using leg pads that you can either make or purcahse.

Ed Richards
27-Oct-2006, 13:05
You also need to think about how you will use it. I like to use the biggest, heaviest tripod that can I schlep to the location. When I am working from the car, I use an old Gitzo 5 series telestudex. Very rigid, does not blow, and it goes to 8 feet and stays rigid, so I can shoot over a fence or get a little height in flat country. I use a 4 section 3 series metal Gitzo when I travel or need to walk a bit. Since I like the weight to settle things down on unsteady ground, I did not spend the extra bucks for carbon, but they are very nice.

Karl_K
4-Apr-2011, 15:50
Hi there,

I'm looking to sell my Gitzo G320 tripod and was wondering if anyone knew what amount it would fetch me in this day and age. Any ideas?

John Koehrer
4-Apr-2011, 16:27
IMO just about any of the 3 Series will work for you. You may also want to look at a two bolt mount for the longer lens. That should allow you to find the balance point and increase the stability. I think there's a Bogen for around $50-$60.

Jeff Keller
4-Apr-2011, 16:42
A Horseman VHR doesn't put much strain on a tripod. Your MF 500mm probably determines what you need. If you are using the Manfrotto quick release plates that might be your problem. Previously I used an aluminum Manfrotto with a 400mm/f4 and 35mm SLR. I pretty well convinced myself that the quick release was the problem so I switched to Arca Swiss style quick release plates, an Acratech Ultimate ballhead, and a lightweight CF Gitzo 1227 tripod. It worked fine until I took a 1000mm f11 lens out on a windy day. It would have been cheaper to start with the Gitzo 3540LS that replaced it.
Jeff Keller

pdmoylan
5-Apr-2011, 17:41
I owned the Gitzo 320 for > 20 years, now have a 1320 which I love. Purchased new on Ebay for $300. CF is fine but much more expensive. However, I find it is the head that is most important. I now use a Gitzo Magnesium pan head which suits long lenses and 4x5. Could easily handle 8x10 a well.

TheDeardorffGuy
6-Apr-2011, 19:24
I started shooting High School Baseball a few years ago. I was using an old Davis and Sandford. A very solid Tripod. Very Heavy too. I filled the center post with lead..
I still was not happy with my images. So I brought out an old turn of the century. (1899-1900) WOOD tripod. It is also a very solid tripod. No wiggles. My images are sharper now. Metal reflects and transmits vibration, Wood dampens it. Try wood.
Ken

rolex87
6-Apr-2011, 20:29
I use a GT3531. Nice and solid but a tad short. (i'm 5' 10" and my cameras are slightly lower than eye level)

Professional
7-Apr-2011, 07:18
I have 4 Gitz tripods, for my use now i use only 3 series[GT3541LS] and 5 series[GT5540LS] for all my equipment from 35mm DSLR up to LF.