PDA

View Full Version : Remounting a Lens to a Copal #1 Press Shutter

Yuriy "D"
26-Oct-2006, 19:03
I would like to remount 1 of my lenses from a Copal #1 to a Copal #1 Press shutter but I have some odd questions for you guys.

Well the shutter (new) is about the same price as a lens (used) I was thinking about picking up that is already mounted in a Copal Press shutter.
The lens I currently have that I want to remount is a 210mm f5.6. The lens I want to pick up is a 180mm F5.6.

Questions:
Would I be able to switch shutters without getting a new f-stop scale?
Will the f-stop scale need to be recalibrated if I was to switch the shutter between the 2 above lenses (ie. Put the 210 in the press and 180 in the regular copal and vice versa)?

Based on those 2 questions I would like to know if you guys think it’s practical to use this combination (2 lenses, a 210mm f5.6 and a 180mm f5.6 & 2 shutters, a regular Copal #1 and a Copal Press #1) and change them as needed.

I ask all this because I have begun shooting commercial still lifes and sometimes require multiple (complex) exposures for which a Copal Press would be great. I am also looking to save the couple hundred bucks that shutter itself cost as well as pick up a lens that is closer to ‘normal’ from my 210.

Thanks,
-Yuriy "D"-

Kirk Gittings
26-Oct-2006, 19:41
I replaced all my shutters with press shutters, because I am an architectural photographer and need to do multiple exposures constantly. But I kept the old shutters because the Copals Press' are not that durable and need repair every so often (usually the flash sync needs cleaning or speeds adjusted). When they do I just put them back in the original shutter adjust my work method and keep shooting.

Copal Press shutters must have aperture scales made for them for each specific lens. It is easiet to just buy the shutters from someone who can do the scales like Grimes. Send him the glass and order the shutter.

Capocheny
26-Oct-2006, 22:47
Copal Press shutters must have aperture scales made for them for each specific lens. It is easiet to just buy the shutters from someone who can do the scales like Grimes. Send him the glass and order the shutter.

Hello Kirk,

At times, they don't even need the glass to develop the aperture scales. For example, Adam just did the two scales for my 355 G-Claron without the need to have the glass physically in hand. I guess they've made these scales so frequently that it's now just second nature to them.

As an alternative source for shutters and scales... contact Tim at:

http://www.lensN2shutter.com.

He does high quality work... and is a little less expensive than SK Grimes. I was very happy with his mounting of a 19" RDA into a Copal 3 shutter. And, now, he's working on mounting my 210 WA Raptar into a Copal 1. :)

Cheers

Yuriy "D"
20-Nov-2006, 09:41
Thank you very much for your replies!
I'll have to pick up a press shutter for myself sometime in '07.