PDA

View Full Version : New scanners coming

Bob McCarthy
26-Oct-2006, 07:07
Got this off another site this morning. New Microtek and HP both have autofocus, not fixed focus.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1161706453.html

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?t=2453

Coming soon,

Bob

Jack Flesher
26-Oct-2006, 09:21
The M1 sounds *very* promising.

Ted Harris
26-Oct-2006, 10:41
Microtek has promised me a prototype M1 as soon as one is available for testing. Original dates have been pushed back but I still expect one by the beginning of the year. I should have some more information on the workings of the focus mechanism before that and if/when I do I will post same.

A quick note on HP ..... NONE of the HP scanners currently available will handle film larger than 35mm.

Juergen Sattler
26-Oct-2006, 11:12
Ted, do you know if the new M1 will scan 8x10s? The announcement only talks about up to 4x5, but I hope/pray that it'll do 8x10 as well. It could be a great all-around scanner.

Ted Harris
26-Oct-2006, 11:58
AFAIK the M1 will handle 8x10. My impression is that it is using the same basic transparency scanning bed as the current i900 and 1800f (which BTW has remained basically the same in size for a number of years and through models as far backas the 1100 the Agfa DuoScans, etc.).

More to come when I know it.

A further addendum on HP as well. Reading the specs of the G4050 would indicate that it could be at least hardware capable of handling up to 8x10 film. My initial conversations with HP tech support did't support this though. Gonna call again and see what I get. If it (or any other HP scanner) does support LF film I will put one through its paces.

Brian Ellis
26-Oct-2006, 19:42
Any idea of the likely street price of the Microtek, i.e. will photographers who don't have clients to pay for their equipment perhaps be able to afford it?

AJSJones
26-Oct-2006, 20:58
The M1 sounds *very* promising.

I hear ya' My AgfaDuoScan2500 is getting long in the tooth so a "modern" version of it (that doesn't require my old G4 and its scsi capability) will be most welcome, at possibly <20% of what I paid originally - almost call it an upgrade fee :)

Steve Kefford
27-Oct-2006, 03:59
The report quotes a price of $699.

Steve

Ted Harris
27-Oct-2006, 05:37
As Steve said projected MSRP of 699 but nothing is final yet and there are likely to be two versions, one a 'pro' version with a more attractive software package.

Kirk Gittings
27-Oct-2006, 21:23
Ted do you know anything about the quality of the CCd array in the new Microtek?

D. Bryant
28-Oct-2006, 17:38
I hear ya' My AgfaDuoScan2500 is getting long in the tooth so a "modern" version of it (that doesn't require my old G4 and its scsi capability) will be most welcome, at possibly <20% of what I paid originally - almost call it an upgrade fee :)

I'm still happy with the quality that my old DuoScan produces and I never minded the SCSI interface other that the fact that it uses up a valuable PCI slot.

Don Bryant

neil poulsen
30-Oct-2006, 23:26
I'm wondering about the mechanics of the auto focus? Is it based on image recognition for focus (like professional 35mm digital cameras) or on detecting the distance between the sensor and the image plane?

P.J.
6-Nov-2006, 00:35
The question is what about 8x10" transparent/negativ scan? Any news from PHOTO PLUS EXPO?
PJ

Armin Seeholzer
6-Nov-2006, 01:35
"one a 'pro' version with a more attractive software package."
They have to do the same as Epson so they get very creativ! ;--))
My last Epson worked 7 years for me the 750pro must also at least thad long!
Do they have the quality controll now handeld, would be my 1. question!

Helen Bach
6-Nov-2006, 06:24
The question is what about 8x10" transparent/negativ scan? Any news from PHOTO PLUS EXPO?
PJ
I went shortly after it opened, and headed for the Microtek stand. Unfortunately the only guy who was there appeared uncomfortable talking about it (or maybe he was uncomfortable talking to me - a lot of men are*) so I didn't pursue the conversation. He did tell me that no working models had been made, and that it would be about March before they hit the streets.

*At those kinds of shows I find, in general, that the more technical and direct my questions are, the more men are likely to back off while women open up and sieze the opportunity.

Best,
Helen

GX617
6-Nov-2006, 14:17
Anyone know if the new M1 will be able to scan 617 negs? I know you can purchase after market 617 negative holders for the 1800f.

All specs so far for the M1 appear to be impressive - if you can believe the DPI specs.

Bob McCarthy
16-Nov-2006, 13:07
HP may be the dark horse in this race. I'm hearing wonderful remarks out of the euro community. The claims for the G4050 as almost over the top from this audience. Tck sharp 20x enlargements are hard to believe, but...

Any news Ted. It's due to be released on the 1st of Dec.

$500 US

Bob

Ted Harris
16-Nov-2006, 13:14
Bob, the information I have from HP is that it will be released the first of the year, not 1 December. I will be talking with them again today and if I get any new I will report. Tack sharp at 20x is impossible unless they are using some extraordinary technology and AFAIK theirs is much like the rest of the pack in the 'prosumer' scanner biz.

GX,the tray insert size for the M1 will be the same as that of the 1800f/i900 so Doug Fisher's aftermarket holder will fit. BTW Doug's holders are a nice addendum and a great product for those who shoot MF panos.

Bob McCarthy
16-Nov-2006, 13:44
The rumor mill is abuzz. This was on the British HP site posted in late September, but no word on the US site.

I agree the 20x claim is way over the top. 5x would be pretty sweet.

Any new news on the Microtek.

Bob

New six-colour HP scanners for expert photo restoration

HP today announced it is offering the most colour-accurate photo scanning yet with its new six-colour, 96-bit scanners. Both the HP Scanjet G4010 and HP Scanjet G4050 contain technology exclusive to HP – six-colour, 96-bit scanning at 4800x9600dpi. The scanners produce incredibly colour-accurate, faithful and detailed images that make impressive reprints for those who wish to scan photos, slides, negatives and documents to an almost professional standard.

The scanners are perfect for the restoration of old photos due to built-in hardware based dust and scratch removal with HP Scanjet G4050. Faded colour can easily be heightened, dust and scratches removed and dark areas lightened using HP Real Life technologies. The HP Scanjet G4050 comes with a transparent material adapter capable of taking multiple formats. It takes multiple photos, 16 35mm slides, 30 35mm frames, two medium-format film frames and one 4x5-inch film frame, making it one of the most productive and flexible photo scanners yet.

More information regarding HP’s announcements at Photokina is available in an online press kit at www.hp.com/go/photokinaevent2006.