PDA

View Full Version : White Sands information

Don Boyd
25-Oct-2006, 20:52
I visited White Sands National Monument today and thought I would pass along the information that the road into the monument is closed at the Inter Dunes Boardwalk (approx. 4.5 miles from the entrance). They have had 18 inches of rain this year and the road is covered with water beyond that point. I have not shot at the Monument before but the photographer I was with said that the most popular places to photograph are at the end of the road. According to the Monument volunteer, dunes sans vegetation starts about 1/2 mile after the road barricade and is open to foot traffic. He did not know when the road might be open to vehicles but suggested that it might not be until after Christmas.

Jim Rhoades
3-Nov-2006, 09:15
I was there this past May. What a beautiful place. What I found weird was the tanning salons on the road down to White Sands. 15 min. in White Sands can give you enough UV's to kill a cat. What's with the tanning booths?

Josh Z.
15-Nov-2006, 15:39
According to the park website it is still closed. Does anyone know if the last 2 miles might open before Thanksgiving?

Thanks.

roteague
15-Nov-2006, 16:42
Can visitors walk the remaining 2 miles?

Allen Rumme
15-Nov-2006, 19:35
Yes, according to the Ranger you can walk into the area closed to auto traffic.