PDA

View Full Version : Using different workspaces

bmarcin
25-Oct-2006, 10:40
I have a question concerning Color Managment Systems (CMS) and different workspaces or applications. I've used the Monaco EZ-Color system to calibrate my monitor, EPSON 4990 scanner and inkjet printer. When I scan using Silverfast (v6) and open the resulting image in Adobe Photoshop everything looks fine. When I print the image directly from Photoshop (ICM turned on in the native print driver) everything prints fine.

However, I like to use Corel Draw (v9) to import images and print from because I can add text and borders around the photograph. In Corel Draw there's an options page under Tools where I can set specific profiles. I applied each of my Monaco-generated device profiles accordingly. However, I'm not sure what to set the "Internal RGB" setting to. At any rate, even though the image looks fine when I import it into Corel Draw, it prints out with a huge color cast. I figure that the working color space in Corel Draw is different from Photoshop but I'm not sure how to correct this. Does anyone on the forum know what adjustments I might need to consider to remove the color cast?

Thanks very much.

Ben

neil poulsen
25-Oct-2006, 21:14
I'm not familiar with Corel Draw CMS. But, I'm wondering if the internal RGB setting refers to setting the default workspace, like in P.S. (e.g. Adobe RGB 98, Pro Photo, sRGB, etc.) It would make sense.

The fact that it looks fine in C.D., but prints poorly, suggests that the correct printer profile isn't being set, or that the software isn't converting properly, or isn't aware of the working space profile. (I don't know C.D., so I'm not sure.) Does the C.D. print driver ask for a printer profile? If not, then perhaps one isn't being specified, and you can expect poor color. Is it possible that the print profile is set as a default in preferences?

You might consider doing your editing in C.D., and then bringing the image back to P.S. Does C.D. give you the option of embedding the profile when you save a C.D. image? (In P.S. Edit|Color Settings, be sure and set all the questons to yes.) P.S. would also give you the option of black point compensation, which I doubt is available in C.D. Plus, you can soft-proof the image in P.S. While not very intuitive, P.S. does a good job of color management.

PViapiano
25-Oct-2006, 21:50
Does the EZColor package you use allow you to profile all three of those devices, or do you have to buy add-ons in order to do that?

How do you like working with EZColor?

Thanks!

Kirk Gittings
25-Oct-2006, 21:53
I have not found EZ color to be as accurate for IT8 scanner calibrations as SF's IT8 add on. Having said that though I found the EZ color to be far superior to not claibrating the scanner at all.

bmarcin
26-Oct-2006, 18:51
I'm not familiar with Corel Draw CMS. But, I'm wondering if the internal RGB setting refers to setting the default workspace, like in P.S. (e.g. Adobe RGB 98, Pro Photo, sRGB, etc.) It would make sense.

The fact that it looks fine in C.D., but prints poorly, suggests that the correct printer profile isn't being set, or that the software isn't converting properly, or isn't aware of the working space profile. (I don't know C.D., so I'm not sure.) Does the C.D. print driver ask for a printer profile? If not, then perhaps one isn't being specified, and you can expect poor color. Is it possible that the print profile is set as a default in preferences?

Thanks, Neil. Attached are my Corel Draw CMS settings. All of the device profiles were created by my Monaco software using IT8 targets (transparency target for the scanner, reflective target for the printer, eyeballs for the monitor). I'm not sure what the "internal RGB" at the bottom is, I went ahead and used Adobe RGB 1998. I've used different combinations in this setting all with different results but none of them close to what it should be. It's strange to me that prints generated out of PS look reasonably good but when I import the same image into Corel Draw all hell breaks loose.

Ben

bmarcin
26-Oct-2006, 18:53
Does the EZColor package you use allow you to profile all three of those devices, or do you have to buy add-ons in order to do that?

How do you like working with EZColor?

Thanks!

Monaco does calibrate all three but I'm not using a colorimeter for the monitor at the moment; I'm doing the squinting the eyeballs technique which I know is not as good.

bmarcin
26-Oct-2006, 19:01
I have not found EZ color to be as accurate for IT8 scanner calibrations as SF's IT8 add on. Having said that though I found the EZ color to be far superior to not claibrating the scanner at all.

I've tried calibrating using the Silverfast AI software that I have (Version 6.4.4r6) and I've never found the calibration icon mentioned in the pdf manual. This is after I perform a pre-scan. My Silverfast came with the 4990 epson scanner - maybe there's an additional plug-in to allow for calibrations?

Ben

Doug Fisher
27-Oct-2006, 08:23
Ben - Ai doesn't come with the calibration module. I think the only version that comes with the calibration module as a standard feature is the Ai Studio version. With that said, you can buy the calibration module as a separate add-on for Ai. Contact Silverfast and they can give you the details. Then you can compare the features and pricing with something like Monaco to see which offers the most in terms of price and versatility.

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

bmarcin
27-Oct-2006, 10:29
Thanks, Doug.

I just contacted Silverfast and they confirmed that their calibration plug-in is an add-on that costs $139. I'm willing to give it a try but do you know of any reason why the Monaco software wouldn't be enough?

Ben