PDA

View Full Version : Scsi to USB for scanner

Peter Langham
23-Oct-2006, 15:25
I am using a Microtek 2500 scanner. It is the older SCSI type. Someday, I will need a new computer (hope to switch to mac) and will not want to continue having to support the SCSI card. Has anyone used a SCSI to USB converter with a scanner? How has it worked out? Which cable or converter? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Ed Richards
23-Oct-2006, 16:42
You should consider keeping the old computer just to drive the scanner. Network it to the new one and it can scan to the new computer's harddrive.

David A. Goldfarb
23-Oct-2006, 17:25
I agree with Ed.

I've got a few old scanners, and getting SCSI and the scanner drivers all to work properly on a newer computer running XP generally seems to produce flaky results. Not sure how this goes on a Mac. My old Adaptec SCSI PCMCIA card seems to work properly on my current laptop in XP with my Agfa Duoscan, but the Minolta Scan Dual I doesn't seem happy with that arrangement, so I've just left the scanners hooked up to an older desktop machine running Win98SE with a SCSI card, and I figure that we'll just get rid of that machine when it's time to replace the scanners.

Roger Richards
24-Oct-2006, 09:10
I'm totally with Ed and David. I found great deal on an excellent condition pro scanner recently that is SCSI only, and was having a hard time connecting it to a Wintel XP machine. I thought the only other option was purchasing a SCSI to FireWire adapter to a Mac G4 laptop with OS X 10.4 'Tiger'. But I ended up installing an Adaptec SCSI PCI in a mothballed older Mac G3 Blue and White, and it runs like a dream. With over 1 Gb of RAM, OS X 10.4 and nothing but FlexColor 4 installed, as a scanning station it is a fast machine. Hang on to your older computers, if possible, for using those legacy devices. If you do not need blinding speed for deadline work then a good deal on an older top line scanner can really be worthwhile.

Jon Shiu
24-Oct-2006, 10:03
I've found SCSI card set up with a Win XP machine easy and automatic. So, I wouldn't hesitate to install a SCSI card in a new XP machine. Finding an updated XP scanner driver may or may not be a problem, depending on the scanner, and whether Vuescan is an option.

Jon

Peter Langham
24-Oct-2006, 10:14
Thanks to all for the replies. The scanner runs fine with a SCSI on a Windows XP machine. The drivers are up to date and vuescan supports it well. I am really trying to avoid keeping a legacy machine for the scanner only (wife agrees so it is probably not an option). Has anyone had luck with SCSI to USB cables?

Thanks again for replies.