PDA

View Full Version : 75mm Fuji on Technika

Bob McCarthy
23-Oct-2006, 13:47
The new Fuji 75 SWD is on the camera and I seem to have a few issues that I could use some help with. Camera is a Technika 2000.

I had a technika board that was center drilled (all my others were offset-down drilled). This allowed me to attain infinity focus on the main track without dropping the bed. This is with rise/fall at the bottom of the range.

If I use an offset down board, The front bed in in the image and when I drop the bed, tilt back to vertical, the front standard will not attain infinity without coming off the back of the bed track.

I can correct the later with a recessed board but was looking to avoid the same.

What are you all doing??

Bob

photographs42
23-Oct-2006, 14:13
Bob,
I haven’t actually seen a Tech 2000 (I have a Tech IV) so I may be off base here, but the bottom line is that these cameras don’t play well with short focal length lenses. Even if you can focus, the lens is so far back there is little room to maneuver or even operate the settings.

I don’t quite understand your lens board situation. If you have a center drilled board, and it works, why the comments about the off center board?

I have a 75mm lens on a recessed board and I have never made a negative with it, partly because it is so much trouble.

One thing you can try is to drop the bed and move the focus track back which might get you close enough but mine is on a recessed board so I don’t know in your case.

Another option, which is not much better, is to move the lens stage back into the body and focus using the articulated back function.

Jerome

David A. Goldfarb
23-Oct-2006, 14:51
I think you're going to need to put it on a recessed board. I use a 75/4.5 Grandagon, and it needs to be on a recessed board with the focusing track in the retracted position on my Tech V. The same was true of the 75/8 Super-Angulon that I used to have. Fortunately, I have narrow fingers.

I don't know how a 75 works on the 2000, but can you use it on the inner track? If it would help, I have a Technika-style lensboard with 5mm of extension that I don't need and would be willing to sell. PM me if you're interested.

Brian Ellis
23-Oct-2006, 19:04
With a Master Technika Classic when using a 90mm or shorter lens you push the top rail all the way to the back. That eliminates the gap that otherwise exists and so you can then slide the lens into position without it coming off the track. I don't know if the 2000 works the same way or not.

If you could focus at infinity with no problems when using a board with a center-cut hole, when using the offset hole couldn't you just use front rise to put the lens in the position it would have been in with a center-cut hole? I've never tried that but it seems logical and shouldn't take much front rise, the hole is only offset by a few mms.

I've never used a 75mm lens with my Master Classic but I regularly used an 80mm lens with no trouble at all. I put it on a recessed board because I read somewhere that I would need to but after I got the board and started using it with the lens it didn't look to me as though I really needed the recessed board. But since I already had the board and didn't find it particularly inconvenient to use (once I bought a flexible tip for the cable release) I never tried mounting the 80mm lens on a flat board. I did have to drop the bed and bring the back to vertical to keep the front of the bed out of the picture when making a vertical photograph. It isn't necessary to do that with a horizontal, at least not with the Master Classic or earlier Technikas.