PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's first effort.......

wingn2a
22-Oct-2006, 11:06
I’ve made the plunge and seem to be getting even deeper involved… I made a few posts a month or so back about the Crown Graphic I purchased and now I’ll share the first result of that acquisition-

A little about myself also- I’ve worked in the paper industry for 29 years, I’m 47 years old, and I enjoy fishing, woodworking, hiking, etc. and of course photography and computers…. I have aspirations to build a LF camera from scratch and I’d also like to play with alternative processes, i.e. Plat./Palladium.

I have a co-worker whose wife fancies herself an artist in the photography and watercolor mediums and upon seeing my first 4x5 transparencies and a 16x20 enlargement he simply stated “what’s Bob trying to do, re-invent the wheel?” His wife works with a Nikon D700- so he thinks digital is the only way to go……. Anyway, here is my first effort- it’s on old E100vs – 2002 I think- and it was just to test out the equipment. I sent it to A&I for development and was very pleased with the outcome and especially the resolution of 4x5…… I’m hooked!!

Rafael Garcia
22-Oct-2006, 11:26
Welcome (from another newbie)! Your shot looks great! I have not tried color yet (just ran some test shots in B&W using my "new" 4x5...color is next). Looking forward to see more of your work.

Capocheny
22-Oct-2006, 12:17
I’ve made the plunge and seem to be getting even deeper involved… I made a few posts a month or so back about the Crown Graphic I purchased and now I’ll share the first result of that acquisition-

A little about myself also- I’ve worked in the paper industry for 29 years, I’m 47 years old, and I enjoy fishing, woodworking, hiking, etc. and of course photography and computers…. I have aspirations to build a LF camera from scratch and I’d also like to play with alternative processes, i.e. Plat./Palladium.

I have a co-worker whose wife fancies herself an artist in the photography and watercolor mediums and upon seeing my first 4x5 transparencies and a 16x20 enlargement he simply stated “what’s Bob trying to do, re-invent the wheel?” His wife works with a Nikon D700- so he thinks digital is the only way to go……. Anyway, here is my first effort- it’s on old E100vs – 2002 I think- and it was just to test out the equipment. I sent it to A&I for development and was very pleased with the outcome and especially the resolution of 4x5…… I’m hooked!!

Bob,

Nice image... don't worry about what your friend says or thinks!

As long as you're having fun (and generating results like the attached image), that's all that matters. :)

Cheers

wingn2a
2-Nov-2006, 23:37
Thank you both, I appreciate the encouragement. I was amazed how much detail there is in 4x5. Because of the reduced file size you can’t see it in the image I posted but there is a Great Blue Heron way in the background by the pilings. I picked up an enlarger on that most well known auction website and will begin developing 4x5 in the next few months. Yes, I am having fun… the most important aspect of it. Thanks again for the nice comments….

Saulius
2-Nov-2006, 23:44
Hmmm, where in the pnw are you? This scene looks familiar, maybe along the central Oregon coast? Shooting LF does have it's pitfalls but when it all comes together and you have a print that just sings to you then there's nothing quite like it. Enjoy your new addiction!

Capocheny
3-Nov-2006, 00:14
I was amazed how much detail there is in 4x5.

If you stick around on this site for very long... some of the guys will have you shooting 8x10 and larger in no time flat. :)

So, if you think there's tons of detail in a 4x5... just wait till you look at an 8x10 or larger. It's quite incredible! :)

Lastly, take a look at this link where some guys are shooting ultra-"small" cameras:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20642

Cheers

Frank Petronio
3-Nov-2006, 05:46
If you didn't tell us you were just starting out I would have though it was a nice shot from an old pro...

riooso
3-Nov-2006, 07:11
Good going! You will like the format. Don't worry about others, the format you have chosen is different than any other and will change your perspective.

Richard Adams

Sheldon N
3-Nov-2006, 09:17
I'm curious where that was shot as well. It looks like it's on the Columbia river, downstream of Portland on the way to the coast.

cyrus
3-Nov-2006, 10:50
See? Clouds. Like I said. CLOUDS.
They'd better be around next time I'm in Venice or by golly someone's gonna pay!

wingn2a
3-Nov-2006, 21:20
Thanks again to you all for the comments… this shot was taken along the bay in Grays Harbor, Western Washington, about 10 minutes from my home in Aberdeen. It is out along the Bowerman Basin- there is a wildlife sanctuary out there amongst an airport and a few sawmills. The pilings used to be where a fish cannery was in the 50’s. This was a LONG time coming- I wanted to get into LF back in the early 80’s but instead found myself married and with a family, and life got in the way. After all these years I’ve found myself in a new relationship with a woman who did portrait work for years and is a tremendous encouragement to me. I want to go bigger, I want to do contact prints, but I think one step at a time is prudent. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!