PDA

View Full Version : Favourite National Parks, Part 3

Ron Marshall
21-Oct-2006, 06:59
Parts one and two contain the first 30 choices. You may choose more than one.

Please suggest any other state or national parks, or other sites that are good shooting locations.

Kirk Gittings
21-Oct-2006, 10:12
Chaco Culture
Mesa Verde

Dave_B
21-Oct-2006, 13:19
All:
Arches and Canyonlands Parks in Utah are two fabulous places to photograph. Arches has the advantage that Moab is just next door. Moab is a gentrified biker town and a fun place to visit in its own right.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Scott Knowles
21-Oct-2006, 15:42
Please suggest any other state or national parks, or other sites that are good shooting locations.

Mount Rainier National Park.

David_Senesac
29-Oct-2006, 22:02
I'm sure some well traveled and financially well off landscape photographers on the board may have been to quite a lot of our national parks, however I'd bet most of us here have not been to more than a dozen that we have actually spent at least a couple days shooting at. And further that of those dozen there are only a few that any of us really know well and those are likely to be the ones in our local zone.

So the problem with this kind of poll is likely to be that many will be voting on places they haven't actually visited but have seen all the images of in books and media. Thus I'd guess there are very few in this audience that have actually been to at least 20 of these parks and worked at photography at each one at least a few days that might provide a meaningful opinion. Additionally skewing results, is what you are likely to get is a lot of votes for such parks as Yellowstone, Great Smoky Mountain, Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon that most tourist just as photographers have been too simply because that is where most have actually visited. However that will hardly result in some kind of meaningful poll that reflects how great each of these parks objectively compare for the purpose of landscape photography.

So I would try and pose the poll differently or at least more clearly quantify what you are actually expecting the result to indicate. ...David

roteague
30-Oct-2006, 00:22
Western MacDonnell National Park, Northern Territory, Australia
Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park, New Zealand

Why limit yourself just to the US?

C. D. Keth
1-Nov-2006, 08:47
Why limit yourself just to the US?

Because it's the American way...?:p

Christopher Perez
1-Nov-2006, 09:05
Well, if y'all just visit the places listed in the poll, then I'll have plenty of elbow room wherever else I happen to visit. :) :) :)

Scott Davis
1-Nov-2006, 12:01
C&O Canal National Park is another nice one that is overlooked by most folks outside the DC metro area. Harpers Ferry is another one, although somewhat limited in size. Another interesting one in California is Pinnacles National Monument. Quite funky and different.

Andrew O'Neill
1-Nov-2006, 22:13
None of the above. They've all been photographed to death. Wells Grey (BC), Grasslands (in Saskatchewan), Gwaii Haanas, Kluane (up in the Yukon).

erie patsellis
3-Nov-2006, 10:46
I spent a weekend on Vancouver Island, traveling around the south end (was working in Victoria for 2 months this spring) and I know that I will definately be going back with the 8x10 camera, 35 just didnt' do any of it justice.

erie

DrPablo
3-Nov-2006, 12:24
In the US:

Canyonlands, Glacier, and Grand Canyon

I'd put Haleakala and Acadia up on the list too

In other countries:

Banff in Canada

Fiordland in New Zealand (the only place on this planet that vies with Canyonlands in my mind)